What's new

Spider-Man LED OCD Board

Dave Bishop

Site Supporter
with my SM arriving next week
Was wondering about this.

It has LEDs in it, non ghosting ones, but I hear that an LED OCD board makes it look better.

People’s experience with these? Also the Gizmo GI board?

I’m not really bothered about playing with the board, I hear you can tweak lots of stuff.. I just want to plug and play really..

Do you care about LEDs being all blinky & bright?

If no, don’t bother.
If yes, do bother.

GIzmo is far too subtle to be necessary, and only for GI LEDs, which on SAM games only do ON/OFF, unlike WPC games where the GI can be much more controlled (where GI OCD becomes useful).

You can tweak LED OCD, and for SM you should, really, but it’s nor compulsory and will work out the box.

Anti-ghosting LEDs will be less effective when combined with an LEDOCD board then the bog-standard LEDs. Regular LEDs + LEDOCD is the best combination. That it regular incandescents. There nothing inbeteeen in my book.

Having a slight OCD tendancy helps, thus the products’ name.

Last edited:
its useful on spidey because of the dimming mode lights. pointless on any other game.

its useful on spidey because of the dimming mode lights. pointless on any other game.

Wide of the mark there, LOTR is totally changed for the better - once you get used to he smoothing of the leds it’s hard to ignore.

Can’t say I’ve had much success with gizmo though. Led/ocd GI was great on TOTAN.

with my SM arriving next week
Was wondering about this.

It has LEDs in it, non ghosting ones, but I hear that an LED OCD board makes it look better.

People’s experience with these? Also the Gizmo GI board?

I’m not really bothered about playing with the board, I hear you can tweak lots of stuff.. I just want to plug and play really..

I should also get a SM next week, I’ve got a led-ocd card for it already :)

Does it make that much difference?

you can see mode progress for all the villains elsewhere as each has a set of three lights which get lit one by one
You are missing the point of the white arrows mate. When you complete all the white arrows they will all flash. Your next shot will light the corresponding arrow solidly (not flashing) but at half brightness. That tells you that the shot is now worth x2 points for the remainder of the ball.
If you complete a mode the white arrows will flash again. When you hit a shot the arrow will light solidly at full brightness. This indicates that the shot is now worth 3x points.
Now normally LEDs cannot do the half brightness thing but with an LEDOCD board they can.
It is a REALLY important feature of the game.
That is what @Neil McRae was on about.

Last edited:
Had one in my spiderman .....fantastic.......
Do it! Results are great! Still trying to convince myself there is a better stern game out there than spiderman?.....Metallica, perhaps...hmmm.....never played Aerosmith or bm66.....(cannot stomach twd theme..literally, to screamish for me..gives me the creeps...before you all shout back with twd)....;)

Last edited:
Had one in my spiderman .....fantastic.......
Do it! Results are great! Still trying to convince myself there is a better stern game out there than spiderman?.....Metallica, lotr perhaps...hmmm.....never played Aerosmith or bm66.....(cannot stomach twd theme..literally, to screamish for me..gives me the creeps...before you all shout back with twd)....;)

Star Trek, BM66 and of course The Walking Dead.

You are missing the point of the white arrows mate. When you complete all the white arrows they will all flash. Your next shot will light the corresponding arrow solidly (not flashing) but at half brightness. That tells you that the shot is now worth x2 points for the remainder of the ball.
If you complete a mode the white arrows will flash again. When you hit a shot the arrow will light solidly at full brightness. This indicates that the shot is now worth 3x points.
Now normally LEDs cannot do the half brightness thing but with an LEDOCD board they can.
It is a REALLY important feature of the game.
That is what @Neil McRae was on about.

Clearly that's why my scores are so bad then! I've often wondered how I tell which shot got multiplied when i get the mode in multi-ball!!

Is there a UK source for the LEDOCD?

https://www.pinballshop.nl/ledocd

Occasionally when out of stock I've got them from Comet in the US. No UK distributor, for me it's a must-have addition if you have leds in there. Up there with colordmd, mirror blades and good glass :) All subjective of course... I have been less impressed with Led-OCD GI, although it did look lovely on my TOTAN when I had it. Makes a *huge* difference on Stern, made LOTR and SPIDERMAN imho. If leds look really great flashing on and off, strobing, etc, or you can't see what's wrong, you don't need one :)

saw another machine in the US with OCD board. couldn't tell the difference. must be my frame rate :D

I took advice from the forum and have to say it makes a huge difference to my SM.
Quick and safe turnaround from pinball shop nl. Expensive but worth it. Love my shaker motor as well and color DMD.
Where do you stop?

Back
Top Bottom