What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED OCD. What is it ? What does it do ? Do I need one ?

stoptap

Registered
Alias
Andy
As we have a fair few new members who might not know what LED OCD is, I thought I might make a thread explaining what it does.

Let's start by taking a trip back in time. About 10 years should do it. I was at a show or league meet and witnessed my first game than had LEDs fitted in place of incandescent bulbs. It was hideous. Really dim and the LEDs were strobing (flickering really quickly) and ghosting (lighting dimly when they should be turned off. Not to be confused with Stern playfield ghosting due to them selling out to the bean counters, but that is another discussion for another day). To say I was unimpressed was the understatement of the year.
I vowed LEDs had no place in pinball and would never be seen in my games.

Fast forward a few years and I happened upon another game that had LEDs fitted (I recall neither where nor when). These were much brighter (the technology had moved on) but they still stroked and ghosted horribly.

Now we get to a couple of years ago and the Northern Lights pinball show in Manchester. Wandering around I see lots of games with these beautiful, brightly lit, vivid coloured inserts. Some were still ghosting slightly but the strobing had all but vanished. I was impressed and started thinking the unthinkable. Maybe I would like to try some in one of my games ?
Fast forwards 12 months and after a long search I finally have a Stern Transformers. I turn it on and it is the darkest looking game I have ever seen. LED time. I ordered some LEDs from pinball-led.uk and fitted them into the game. The game came alive. Dim barely lit inserts were now alive with colour. No strobing and very little ghosting (Transformers was Stern's first game to feature factory fitted LEDs but only the LE's).
There was only one negative. LEDs turn off instantly so you lose the lovely fade effect that incandescent bulbs generate.

After a chat with @Monkeyboypaul i was made aware of LED OCD (he loves them and wants to have their babies :)).

In simple terms an LED OCD board makes LEDs act like incandescent bulbs so instead of instantly switching on and off they can be made to fade on and off.

Fast forward to now and I have finally got around to fitting one to my Spiderman. What a difference it has made. The game looks instantly more modern. Now I know LEDs aren't for everybody (I was very anti LED for a LONG time) but as I have all Stern games now the older, incandescent games look dim and lacklustre next to the newer LED games.

So LED OCD makes your games act like they have incandescents but with the added benefit of the bright, vivid colours that modern LEDs provide.

My next post covers me fitting one into my Stern Spiderman.

Fitting an LED OCD board

What do you get for your money ?

IMG_9224.JPG

LED OCD board.
Mounting bracket.
Two interconnect cables.
Mounting screws.
USB cable.
Instructions.
(Glasses are not included but are available from Specsavers and Boots if required).

Fitting.

Screw the board into game bearing in mind that the cables have to reach the power board.

IMG_9227.JPG

Connect the board as per the instructions.

IMG_9234.JPG
You disconnect two connectors from the power board and connect them to the LED OCD board. You then connect the supplied cables between the board and the power board.

You can now power up the game and it will work. However the board will have the default settings so you will need to update it with the game specific settings.

Install the software on your PC and connect the USB cable betwixt PC and LED OCD.
You can now upload the correct game software and also tweak each individual light if you so wish.

That is it. Done. The game now looks brighter and more modern.

What has it done ?

LEDs installed but no LED OCD. You can see the Green Goblin target inserts ghosting.

LED OCD installed with default settings. Ghosting gone but not quite fading correctly.

Finished installation. My iPhone camera doesn't quite do the subtle changes justice after downloading the correct settings into the board.

Is it worth it ? Yes absolutely 100% at the price I paid.

Now I bought 4 of these when I was over in the US for my holibobs. They were £100 each. At that price they are superb value. However to buy from Europe the cost is £165. That is expensive and it is a shame that such a great piece of kit has such a horrendous mark up.

I had a few back and forth e-mails with Harold (the designer) and he is open to the idea of a UK distributor should someone wish to step up to the plate.

Great post!

The difference is huge in my Spider-Man, 100% worth the money.

I found that buying through Comet was the cheapest way to go. :thumbs:

You also don't need to buy the more expensive non-ghosting LEDs when using one of these. Obviously don't use really **** LEDs but so long as they are bright enough and the right type for inserts you can use cheaper ones with it for great results

You also don't need to buy the more expensive non-ghosting LEDs when using one of these. Obviously don't use really **** LEDs but so long as they are bright enough and the right type for inserts you can use cheaper ones with it for great results
Correct. Bog standard ultrabrights work perfectly.

have to say spiderman is probably the only game where this makes a difference in my view. because of the variable brightness on the villains. I stuck one in my Theater of magic and i'll be damned if I can tell the difference!

have to say spiderman is probably the only game where this makes a difference in my view. because of the variable brightness on the villains. I stuck one in my Theater of magic and i'll be damned if I can tell the difference!
You must be doing it wrong! Seriously.

After a chat with @Monkeyboypaul i was made aware of LED OCD (he loves them and wants to have their babies :)).

I'm pleased to announce our 7th game, LOTR, was OCD'd at 4:45pm on Friday 18th August, running on default settings. Owner and game doing well.

Andy, less chat, more putting an OCD board in your LOTR! ;)

As above - I LED'd every insert except the ring modes. As such I used an older v4 OCD board instead, using the v5 @Neil McRae helpfully purchased for me on MET Pro instead. The older type have a better tolerance to retaining a few incandescants.

I'm pleased to announce our 7th game, LOTR, was OCD'd at 4:45pm on Friday 18th August, running on default settings. Owner and game doing well.

As above - I LED'd every insert except the ring modes. As such I used an older v4 OCD board instead, using the v5 @Neil McRae helpfully purchased for me on MET Pro instead. The older type have a better tolerance to retaining a few incandescants.
Why not the Ring Modes Paul ?

Is it just me that doesn't really see a difference? Maybe it's cuz I'm viewing on my phone
On the video links, click on the title of the video. This will take you to YouTube instead of playing in the browser. Watch the videos in 720p resolution. The ghosting on the Green Goblin target inserts is very obvious in the first video.

Is it a big improvement with LEDs ? I think I will do WPT next.
I'm on the fence a little - the inserts are much clearer colours now, and brighter to the point where it feels more like a 'new' Stern game than 'old'. I'm just not 100% sure it suits this particular game or not. I've spent most of today drinking, with the odd game, so perhaps I need to dwell on it further and maybe tweak the OCD board config to be slightly dimmer perhaps.

Used Comet Warm Whites 2SMD frosted.

WPT will be night & day better.

Given I'm a bit OCD myself, I have it in all my machines except for AC/DC premium, TWD premium and MMR. Biggest/best improved machines have been LOTR, TOTAN. When I was selling my TAF (I bought a super minty one) I took the OCD card out, but quickly put it back when it was horrible without!

One of my last jobs is to tweak the settings but the software doesn't behave very well - it could do with a serious win10 or Mac update, the drivers are really ****ty.

All personal preference, I know, but you can really improve the performance of incandescents by cleaning the inserts and the bulbs themselves.

My fish tales was a low use game with relatively clean inserts but filthy bulbs, it made a huge difference when I cleaned the bulbs with ipa.

The blue inserts, when cleaned, in a Bally centaur are probably as vivid a colour using incandescents as a modern stern with leds.

@Neil McRae - there is a setting in wpc games called something like "allow dim illumination" - I dunno, but this might make a difference in your Tom.

I'm not affected by a slight light flicker so don't need to buy a board that cures the flicker.
So the money I save on not buying a board can buy something else like beer, and when I've had plenty of beer I can't even see the slight flicker.
Result.
Also the three stages of light brighness on the inserts for Venom, Sandman and Doc Ock on Spiderman, are unrecognisable even when using incandescents. It needs a three stage of lights so it can be seen easier. Surprised no one has come up with a mod for it.
(Dreads)

Personally....the lack of LED dimming doesn't bother me, every other problem with leds is fixed by fitting quality non ghosting LEDs from comet. I have an OCD board in Tron so know the differences.

Interestingly on Ghostbusters there's one insert that dims/fades, the tobins spirit guide insert when lit pulses on and off. It didn't do this when released, the dimming was added somehow by one of the code updates. Wether there's something special in hardware about this inserts circuit or Stern figured out how to do it with code I don't know. Why just this insert though?...

@Monkeyboypaul

Found that if I change the delay to 1 the LEDs act just like incandescent bulbs. All the fade effects look correct.

Think mine are on default 2.

Can you try an OCD board in TWD Pro at some stage and post a video of the results? Seriously considering downgrading this LE...
Yeah I could temporarily drop one in. You can come have a peep if you are in the area.

Try the delay on 1. I had it on 2 but the chase effect (like on Green Goblin) looked a bit pants. Put it on 1 and it looks great.

Back
Top Bottom