What's new

Similar playfield layouts

Thanks folks, loads for me to get my teeth into.

I love Congo but haven't really played Tron so I'll take a look into that because I's always fancied getting Congo back so perhaps Tron might be an option?

Yep, was told not to get GOTG as it’s very similar to Metallica..
It's very very similar. Both Borg games. But theme and toys do make them seem different enough. I still wouldn't have both in a collection.

I remember as a kid when MM came out thinking it was "a fancy rip off of AFM" Little did I know Bally and Williams were one and the same.

Shrek, and Family Guy are the same

Stern Indiana jones, and Aerosmith are very similar

Shrek and Family Guy are identical aren't they?

I was actually playing Shrek at pinfest and someone mentioned "this is basically Family guy" - it had been so long since I'd last played Family Guy to notice.

Heard some people say Venom is a similar layout to Mando but never played the former.

I was actually playing Shrek at pinfest and someone mentioned "this is basically Family guy" - it had been so long since I'd last played Family Guy to notice.

They're supposed to be identical, it's just a retheme essentially, same thing Spooky did with Halloween and Ultraman.

So I don't think they count as they're not similar, they're the same 😄

They're supposed to be identical, it's just a retheme essentially, same thing Spooky did with Halloween and Ultraman.

So I don't think they count as they're not similar, they're the same 😄

Yep agree. There's borrowing heavily on a previous design and using the same layout for two different themes/IP.

I do think the same layout though can feel like a different game because of the theme, callouts, music etc. I really dislike playing pinball with the sound too low for that reason.

I noticed how Scared Stiff & WCS94 are very similar layouts when I last played soccer

Pinball machines are like songs.

Not such thing as an original one.

With all the years they have been built - it is obvious duplications or part duplications will exist.

I do get the feeling Stern do use a lot of 'cut copy and paste' - probably more than other companies.....

Aerosmith and metallica are very similar. Aerosmith is like the munsters......

Watching one of your Top 50 videos now and you mentioned The Walking Dead.

That to me I find similar layout to Metallica and Guardians.

Unlike you I actually like TWD though it can feel a bit unfair 😂

Lots of EM too. Back in the day they rethemed the same layout as well as making 1,2 and 4 player versions of the game with different names. Apollo11, blast off, lift off being an example

Some of those listed so far aren't that similar at all. Maybe they have the ramps in similar places but that's it.

In that case can we call Black Knight, Pharoah, Solar Fire and Jungle Lord similar?

Not slating it or anything as im sure it plays great, but Foos seems a bit like a Shadow/Whirlwind mashup to me.

Watching one of your Top 50 videos now and you mentioned The Walking Dead.

That to me I find similar layout to Metallica and Guardians.

Unlike you I actually like TWD though it can feel a bit unfair 😂

Just wait until I put Walking Dead on the list 😂

Heard some people say Venom is a similar layout to Mando but never played the former.
Yeah. When I had Family Guy I would occasionally swap in the Shrek code for ****s and giggles 😃

FG was ballys attempt to steal Williams ideas on black Knight but apart from the double level the games play completely differently. Both awesome in their own way.

Just wait until I put Walking Dead on the list 😂

Probably not the top spot right? 😀

At pinfest a rather wise woman walked up to TWD and in short order was absolutely lighting it up, replay knocker sounding, tons of modes started etc etc.

Whereas when I played it all you could hear was the ball save and my potty mouth.

Not slating it or anything as im sure it plays great, but Foos seems a bit like a Shadow/Whirlwind mashup to me.

Foos plays nothing like the shadow (and most the ball paths are totally different) but I guess the van shot ramp is similar to one of the ramps on the Shadow.

Foos plays nothing like the shadow (and most the ball paths are totally different) but I guess the van shot ramp is similar to one of the ramps on the Shadow.

I'm not so sure, no doubt it plays differently (and very well from what I have seen) but the targets on the left, lock for multiball, inner loop and location of the (admittedly very different) upper playfield all seem similar to me.

Back
Top Bottom