What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expired Sega 192x64 Color DMD PIN2DMD-XL

Expired Due to no activity

Rappelbox

Registered
Hello guys,

This is my information thread about the RGB.PIN.DMD-XL
This device replaces broken and defective Sega 192x64 DMDs and adds options to colorize your game.
It's compatible to Maverick, Baywatch, Frankenstein and Batman Forever and features exactly the same size as the original DMD.

You can use it as a "simple" replacement for your old DMD, use a different color like blue or green (Batman looks awesome with green!) or use 3-4 different colors for a colordmd-like effect.

It comes with:
Mounting frame
DMD
Controller
Custom cables
and a separate power supply
Everything is nicely mounted together, well tested, carefully packed and with actual firmware.

The price will be 369,- euro, around 315,-£ plus shipping to your country (around 17,- to GB)

Everything is exclusively from me as Lucky1 (inventor of Pin2dmd* firmware) is NOT giving this firmware version to anyone else.

This is already the 2nd batch, not a prototype, testing thingy or "soon-to-be developed" thing. This 2nd batch features a USB port for easier access and is ready for shipment in February, possibly mid-february.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170125_72844db2be6bde24ebce19bbe97be4c6.jpg

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170125_6c9c2759ef904e5dd4d65924a76c8fff.jpg

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170125_59f737b3762e01993fa7fb551d2f40fa.jpg
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170125_156955124207802c88859569bd40e66e.jpg

If you're interested please feel free to contact me here via PM or send me an email to info@germangamingsupplies.com

Greetings,
Dom

*Since it's based on Pin2dmd firmware there's a small donation mandatory. This donation should be 10,- Eur minimum and is all for charity. It's there for stopping uncontrollable reselling, commercial abuse of the system.

Why do you have to give a registration donation when you are the only person who has the firmware?

Wouldn't it be easier just to sell these panels plug and play without going thru any of the registration issues.

Most pinball players don't want to mess with making coloured frame palettes. They just want to take it out the box and connect it to the machine - then use it.

They don't want the hassle in uploading reg files to a micro sd card.

Trust me. It needs to be plug &play

Thanks for the suggestion, but that's not a thing I can control or change.
The reasosn behind these separate steps are multiple and not in my control.
Lucky1 is doing all the stuff in his spare time, as a hobby.
It's a question about warranty for the firmware and non-profit work. That is also the point where German tax systems make a difference between hobby and commercial product/licensing.
If he would "sell" the key to companies like mine, it would decrease the raw amount by 19% due to taxes.

Come on, it's for charity! We always fight this discussion in various forums. I know it's not as convenient as opening a box and putting a spare display in, but that's the way it is for now.

Colorization ain't a big issue, you don't have to if you don't want to. It can be run in "single color" mode. We added 2 buttons on the back for configuration and if you don't want to even do that, drop me a line when you want to have it all preconfigured. ;)

By the way, registering isn't rocket science. Once you ordered you get a key for your device before it even ships. Donate, using this ID, and you'll receive the appropriate file.
Send that key to me and it all comes registered and activated to you. Or you "install" it yourself by renaming that file to Pin2dmd.key and putting it on a MicroSD card.

It's very nice, but a bit steep on the price.

Before these sort of options 2nd hand DMD's of this size were changing hands for over £400 so its a good thing. If mine was shot I would just be glad there was something out there to replace it!

That's your opinion

Did you ever search for a real dmd of that size?! ;)

Don't get me wrong its a great product just a little overpriced, i fixed my own Frankenstein for around £70 using an old monitor. ;)

That's totally ok for me. A Monitor just would not go into my pinball, but that's my personal opinion.
I know about the raspberry/Monitor solution and think that's also an absolutely legit solution, just not my taste.
This is a real rgb LED Dot matrix solution and that makes the difference. ;)

I do use Pin2DMD products - and I have no problem buying the registration code. Yes I know it goes to charity - that does not bother me. Why dont you add it to the price and give the donations to Lucky1 directly and ship these displays ready yo go?

It is a lot of money - but at the moment you have these choices when your DMD fails:
1 - Scrap the machine - throw your money down the drain really......
2 - Look for a 2nd hand display - pay £300-400 and risk that one going in a short period of time (like a used car engine) - but easy install.
3 - Get a PC monitor in, and use a PI and Pinball Doctor unit - I am not sure how much messing about you need to do on this option.
4 - Buy one of these - probably the most expensive but will give the best result as it is a proper DMD. 2nd easiest install.

It is a great product, I love my Pin2DMDs but as it looks like one extra panel it does amaze me that its nearly twice the price of a normal Pin2DMD.

As Pin2DMD started off as a free project I understand why the registration was added. Personally I think its unfair that this firmware is not being made public as the original was a public project (yes I know some abused it). My feelings are you should remove the Pin2DMD product name from it and just sell them under your own brand as its no longer a project if the firmware is only available to you. I have noticed that the 'registration' has put quite a few peoples noses out of joint on VP forums.

Please do not get me wrong - I am in no way moaning about the quality of your display. I passing on suggestions.

Are you also planning to make a DONATION TO THIS SITE when you sell a display? It is something you are asked to do when you sell stuff.

Of course! I always try to give something back to the community... that is (in my opinion the reason the firmware has been given to me instead of others.

About the name, I'll decide quick and see what I'll do about it. But you're right.

For that money, those pixels better all line up.

I see in the pics there are alignment issues with the led modules. One in which almost all of these type panel suffer from. If you're gonna charge a fortune, make sure its perfect!

Of course, they are all perfectly lined up!
Sometimes the shipping companies don't handle the parcel too well, so there is probably a risk of misalignement. The display is constructed that way that you can always replace and/or align the segments.

I'm not in the habit of giving an entity money only to have to 'align' anything myself. I just can't see why someone would buy this over the MUCH cheaper LCD solution? More cost effective and have zero image alignment issues with a better overall image imo.

Perhaps the LCD ones are not readily available?

Because it's the "much cheaper LCD solution"! Like said before, I would even consider putting a notebook LCD in a pinball machine. It's a diy solution, absolutely ok for others, just not for me.

I didn't force anyone to buy my products, just leave it if you don't like it.

And instead of bashing, I'd be happy if i had one of these machines and someone would sell a replacement/enhancement.
If you find a new plasma dmd prepare yourself for paying 600£+ and having NO warranty if pixels are defective or else. Same goes to the LCD solution.

Keep it with a smile, I do so!

Sorry, came across quite blunt there. Didn't mean to.

You did well bringing another product to market and should quite rightly be proud of your efforts.

I'm preparing for the 2nd batch, so if you'd like to have one hurry up... ;) just kidding. Almost sold out... kidding again! :D

Greetings,
Dom

Maybe it's not really mentionable in a UK forum but:

I am preparing for a distributor in the US! I have an agreement almost finished with a very reliable pinball enthusiast, modder and shop owner.
That means the displays will be cheaper to obtain, no tax issues, no high shipping costs, oh and some minor improvements plus one big improvement wich will be revealed when they actually ship! These improvements are a substantial part of the second run.

...and I will still use pin2dmd firmware because of the very noble work lucky1 does by donating every penny of his more then 1000 hours of work into charity! It's also the only known stable and reliable firmware for rgb Dmd displays. ;)

Last edited:
Second run of the RGB.PIN.DMD-XL displays has just started!

All components and parts are on their way to me.

For this 2nd batch I made some improvements:

-bigger processor which leaves space for future development ;)
-USB connector for direct programming/ update via USB and PC
-additional USB-MicroSD adaptor included
-standard cable
-

For better reliability I choose to stay on external power supply!!!
The old Segas had some minor issues with weak power distribution so the most reliable option is to bypass it!

The set also contains:
-Power supply
-cables and connectors
-detailed and pictured instructions

Price is the same for this version: 369,- EUR (320£) + 17,90 EUR (16£) shipping in Europe

You can order directly through my shop: https://germangamingsupplies.com/RGBPINDMD-XL_1

You can now mail me if you're interested...
3rd run is on the way!!!
Same price, same hardware, but now starting to do advanced coloring, so we might see full colored baywatch, Batman, Frankenstein and Maverick in the future!!!

Only available with Pin2dmd-xl!

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170710_32040d1d95f53b4596d1f37528f2ee9a.jpg

Pin2dmd-Xl has now entered a new stage! ;)

We are near to complete the worlds first full colored title for 192x64 sized big Sega Dot Matrix Displays.

New sets are now shipped constantly, no more batch production.

All other titles will follow soon...

And as long as these aren't available you could still use every pin2dmd-Xl in single-color mode or 4-color mode.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170831_e397dd34323da39b565e10651e11f12a.jpg
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170831_1c818b37d7d4fdefad94bcb3d8d5b85f.jpg
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170831_c1ef8487d6b4a221d831cfa7b7022f42.jpg
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170831_8803fce8529819de4148c4b1eac208aa.jpg
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170831_a19e103f724c1c783306b2e73ee096b9.jpg
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170831_70ea88f7bac3ceb7836988fd98e784bb.jpg
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170831_8c3d5fc913e145659415369be844ab97.jpg
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170831_491da8c4f557dd1e95c3ccab030b2a8c.jpg

In case you own 1 of the other games with the large screen...
Franky will also follow. ;)

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170906_9e3bedf90200d51ff674d0b3968e4519.jpg
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170906_edaf490b2fca5741b261fb4132a5f676.jpg
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170906_3bc814cc3b5cc69b86fa2606ce8cf882.jpg
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170906_4ffe92f0e631f332cf7b7e73b7deecdf.jpg
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170906_6dceafb6b1c51d100d801724e336808b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom