What's new

S 'n' S Help

Dazza73

Registered
Hi I've just had my 1st pin surf n safari dropped off and I have a problem with the score display. It's not working. I just put the legs on put the back cabinet up and loaded the balls. Everything else seems ok lights etc just no score panel. Have I done something wrong ?

Cheers.

Have you removed and reseated the cables going to the display board?

Always worth a go as first thing to check.

Cheers

Pete

I'm no expert as I only got my first pinball a few weeks back. But in that time I've learnt to always check the simple stuff first. :)

Good luck with it. Your first pin is a special occasion.

Whenever you get a new game thats been on it's travels its always worth checking all the connectors to make sure nothing has rattled loose while it's been transported. Go over all of the connectors in the backbox and make sure they're securely seated. Then have a look under the playfield and in the cabinet to make sure there's nothing loose either...if your not sure then reseat the connector.

If it was all fine before it went in the back of the van (or car) then the likelihood is something has worked it's way loose. There's also the possibility that a solder joint has cracked somewhere with the vibration but check all connectors first and see if that sorts it :)

If anyone is close to Grimsby or in Grimsby that could come take a look as I don't mind parting with some beer money as i'm a total newb and dying to have a go. It would be well appreciated.

I've tried the connections and no joy :(

I'm gonna call it a night as I have an early start in the morning. Work. I'll take another look tomorrow when I get home. Hopefully it will be a simple fix. Thanks for the help guys.

Thanks for starting this thread Daz, I meant to do it last night (my time) but finally fell asleep.

I feel terrible about this and will be happy to pay for someone to come out and sort it as I know it's your first table and are really excited about it. It was working 100% when it left I promise, and hasn't had that trouble before. The people I'm thinking of trying are Andy Netherwood (aka the Legend) who is now based in Rugby, or Barry Parsons who is a bit further north but I dunno where exactly. They're both professional pin repairmen.

Is there anyone local to Grimsby before I give them a shout? Or can anyone name some easy walk through tests that Daz can try here to help diagnose it first?

Dan

Well i'm new to Pinball myself so i'm no expert. But I am in Grimsby and if you want a second pair of eyes to check things over with you then i'd be happy to do so - just drop me a PM and we'll try to sort something.

A few more things that might be worth thinking about:

1. Did you get a manual with the machine? Always worth having a scan through that but if you don't then it would be well worth trying to track one down. Quite how you'd do that i'm not sure - i've checked Marcos and eBay and they don't have one and there doesn't seem to be a PDF copy on the IPDB. I have a feeling it might be a tough one to track down.

2. Have you got a multimeter? Might be worth checking the fuses are all in good order as it's possible one may have blown at first power up or maybe even damaged through vibration in transit.

3. If you've got a multimeter then you could also measure voltages going to the display board, but that's not going to help massively if you don't have a manual telling you what you should expect to be seeing.

Unfortunately the lack of online manual means I don't have much to go on. When you say the display board is it this bit that's not working: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/MA-1361

If so then so far as I can see from that image there are only two connectors going to that board. I'd remove the connectors and reseat them and then trace to the other end and do the same there. Hopefully by working backwards you can identify the cause of the problem.

Good luck with it - it's frustrating when you get these issues but so satisfying when you finally crack it.

Cheers

Pete

It did have a manual but I didn't include it in the sale, so I can sell it separately on eBay for more money. Along with the bolts and balls. And legs.

I jest (some people do this with manuals and toppers, believe it or not!). It's there.

Aaaah, so your the one on eBay who keeps selling the 'bundles of crap' including rusted balls and broken parts? ;)

Thanks for confirming he's got the manual Dan. Might help with the troubleshooting if we know what voltages to expect where. :)

Edit: What's going on with your tables anyway? They seem to all be migrating to Lincolnshire - first the R&B and now this one.....

I at work guys until 3:30 and not supposed to be using my phone on site. As soon as I get home ill be on here. Wired worm your very welcome to come round if you have the time. Thanks again for the help guys.

Drop me a PM with a contact number and an address and i'll see if I can get round. Got some 'family stuff' to do this afternoon but if I can squeeze a trip round to see you then i'll be in touch. Good to know there's another Pinball fan in the area.

Cheers

Pete

What I have tried so far is.

Gone over all of the connectors in the backbox and made sure they're securely seated like ronsplooter suggested. What happens now is the pin turns on but doesn't let me start a game. the lights come on and I have noticed 1 of the boards behind the backbox led light doesn't come on. I think its the sound board but not 100% positive. It has a small button called SW2.

I've just noticed this wire not connected leading from the backbox but i'm not sure what it's for or if it should go into the connector block or to the wire surrounded with insulation tape just below it.

I've tested the fuses also with multi-meter and all seem ok.

pinwire.JPG

The wire should match colour wise eg brown, brown, black should match another the same. The manual gives the colour code for each wire eg 622 could be black, brown, brown. Except it's not in this instance as I know it's different but it's hard to see on the mobile and I don't know the colour code off by heart (ought to really as it's the same as the resistor colours!

Bingo. That has to be from that connector surely, the wire's bend and length suggest that (unless there are alternatives just out of shot).

Follow it back, where does it come from? And where does that connector in the pic lead to?

Once you know that, we can check the schematic in the manual (you'll have to photograph the page for us) and if those two things should be connected you have probably solved the problem just by reconnecting it.

Of course the lazy way is just to connect anyway and see if that fixes it. I would do that if it was still mine, but I'm not gonna recommend it to you unless you are prepared to take the very small risk that it damages something else. Hopefully someone will chip in with an opinion but I think most people are at NERG or Swavesey

Found a connector block with the same coloured wire and reconnected. Then Ive taken the insulation tape off to check that out and the wires are frayed but still connected.

No joy. I've reconnected the wire to the block and also repaired the frayed wire. Now when I turn on i'm still getting lights but nothing else. Also the led's on the sound board and auxiliary sound board are not coming on. The control board led is lit. Disconnected the leads and reseated but still nothing.

I sometimes work Grimsby way I can poss come n look,depends when your in as it would have to be daytime,I LCD do Tom or tues

Nah didn't fancy it mate,had to go to a friends bday party today,plus it's my bday at end f month so away for a weekend then on 27 havin pinball / BBQ do at mine I'm the big 40 so can't afford to do all

Back
Top Bottom