What's new

RFM Boot Error?

@ronnie63

My 2p, I have a RFM and SWEP1, on the rare occasions I’ve had some original hardware PC issues, without access to other hardware for the changeneering process, fault finding is sometimes difficult. I think it would be a wise move to send your PC unit to Jim for some attention. This doesn’t mean you will need to run later PC or display hardware, I would also recommend updating the code to Jim’s latest code, it really does improve the game dramatically. Would also recommend the 6 ball trough, proper knocker and a shaker if you do want to get the best currently possible from your machine.

Like yourself, I also have a thing about originally, however I was recently forced to change out the CRT on my RFM, I fitted a LED (not LCD) flat panel, to be honest it was a revelation, so much so I ripped out the crappy flat panel that was in my SWEP1 since I bought it and fitted the same type flat panel that I’d fitted to my RFM.

Good luck with the repairs,

Chris.

@ronnie63

My 2p, I have a RFM and SWEP1, on the rare occasions I’ve had some original hardware PC issues, without access to other hardware for the changeneering process, fault finding is sometimes difficult. I think it would be a wise move to send your PC unit to Jim for some attention. This doesn’t mean you will need to run later PC or display hardware, I would also recommend updating the code to Jim’s latest code, it really does improve the game dramatically. Would also recommend the 6 ball trough, proper knocker and a shaker if you do want to get the best currently possible from your machine.

Like yourself, I also have a thing about originally, however I was recently forced to change out the CRT on my RFM, I fitted a LED (not LCD) flat panel, to be honest it was a revelation, so much so I ripped out the crappy flat panel that was in my SWEP1 since I bought it and fitted the same type flat panel that I’d fitted to my RFM.

Chris.

Thanks Chris, all good advice, rather than spending money on old tech which could fail again! Like you I would probably upgrade to a new system, if that happens I might bend your ear on the led panel you used.

But I will give flashing the code a try first and see what happens, it's no longer loading 1.5 anytime I try, so would seem to be getting worse!

Thanks Ronnie

I have done many RFM/SWE1 conversions to PC/LCD screen. I would guess a dozen.

Jim (@myPinballs ) is the most knowledgable person on this forum about Pin2K. Your PC may need capcaitors changing, more than likely a new power supply. New CPU fan.... RAM upgrade..... It is 22+ years old - and it is a crap chipset too....

It is always a weigh up to LCD/Pinbox vs Original hardware. People on here will argue both corners. I prefer the nice silent sound of the new hardware, and the weight loss of getting rid of the crt.

Pinbox is tricky to get going if you do not have linux OS experience. Do not attempt to use a USB to Parallel adaptor on a pinbox machin if you go down that route.

I do supply machines preloaded with the OS working on an SSD. You will need a monitor, a 2.1 amplifier and maybe a audio isolation adaptor. It is not plug and play.

Jim used to do an easy swap over option, that is more money but an easier install. He may still build you one.

If you want to me to quote to do the whole job (you would need to get the whole of the backbox to me in Brum or come down for a few hours while I fit it) then give me a shout.

Phil

I have done many RFM/SWE1 conversions to PC/LCD screen. I would guess a dozen.

Jim (@myPinballs ) is the most knowledgable person on this forum about Pin2K. Your PC may need capcaitors changing, more than likely a new power supply. New CPU fan.... RAM upgrade..... It is 22+ years old - and it is a crap chipset too....

It is always a weigh up to LCD/Pinbox vs Original hardware. People on here will argue both corners. I prefer the nice silent sound of the new hardware, and the weight loss of getting rid of the crt.

Pinbox is tricky to get going if you do not have linux OS experience. Do not attempt to use a USB to Parallel adaptor on a pinbox machin if you go down that route.

I do supply machines preloaded with the OS working on an SSD. You will need a monitor, a 2.1 amplifier and maybe a audio isolation adaptor. It is not plug and play.

Jim used to do an easy swap over option, that is more money but an easier install. He may still build you one.

If you want to me to quote to do the whole job (you would need to get the whole of the backbox to me in Brum or come down for a few hours while I fit it) then give me a shout.

Phil

Thanks Phil, I know the motherboard had the capacitors done and what looks like newer ram and cpu fan, the psu has a williams sticker so guessing old. If I need to go down the route of upgrading I will look at all options but would rather something already configured to almost plug and play, I don't mind doing the fitting work of the screen etc and I could re purpose the CRT.

Hoping to flash the new game code today at some point, so I will need to buy Jim's software activation code when I pinch the wife's laptop.

Cheers Ronnie

Yes i still build these for people. Simple drop in solution to existing computer backbox mounts, plug and play with lcd monitor

Morning, where can I download the flash romsets please? Looked on IPDB but they are locked! Could not find them on my pinballs either? Will they appear once I download the key?

Thanks Ronnie

Morning, where can I download the flash romsets please? Looked on IPDB but they are locked! Could not find them on my pinballs either? Will they appear once I download the key?

Thanks Ronnie

Just click the image on my sites homepage that says v2.24 in massive letters ....

Thats the flash update. The rom sets on pps's site you dont need

Just click the image that says v2.24 in massive letters ....

Thats the flash update. The rom sets on pps's site you dont need

Thanks Jim, got it. I want to get all the stuff together on a usb drive on my pc then transfer it to a laptop and then get a key, I take it the code generated for the key has to come from the already installed software on that device?

Thanks Jim, got it. I want to get all the stuff together on a usb drive on my pc then transfer it to a laptop and then get a key, I take it the code generated for the key has to come from the already installed software on that device?
Yes

Ok got the software up and running and all connected fine to pin, funnily enough it booted to 1.5 again this time! Anyway the update failed! Tried it 3 times now, it gets so far and either reboots or comes up with this error screen

Thanks Ronnie

IMG_1621.JPG

IMG_1620.JPG

Ok got the software up and running and all connected fine to pin, funnily enough it booted to 1.5 again this time! Anyway the update failed! Tried it 3 times now, it gets so far and either reboots or comes up with this error screen

Thanks Ronnie

View attachment 171717

Can you post a larger pic of the update screen i cant make it out on the small one.

Try a slower speed if its crashing out or the leads you have are alittle cheapy. Or the prism card flash ram has a dead spot on it. Lets hope its not option 3!!!

Thanks Jim, not sure what happened to the pic!

Cheap leads possible! Having trouble now getting the software to run and sometimes to connect! "unable to parse" or the software fails to load with an error " out of bounds exception was not handled" when I do get it to run and connect It no longer starts the flash screen on pin

Sorry about the pic for some reason it saved as tiny!

Thinking about it I probably should have used a computer with a serial port! I will probably have one either a tower or laptop, I think the software is now tied to the laptop I used

Bit of an update!

Received my new usb to serial cable and I managed to do a full update with no errors! Took what seemed like forever, I have recycled the power and no errors and boots into the new software no problem! I'm not counting my chickens yet tho! Fingers crossed it keep working! Was also surprised it's retained ny 387 million high score. Away to have a play on the new code.

Cheers Ronnie

@ronnie63

Chris.
I currently have a LCD fitted but would like LED. Where did you buy yours?

I currently have a LCD fitted but would like LED. Where did you buy yours?

Hi Kenny,

It’s a Vigilant Vision unit I used, a nice bit of kit, metal cased, toughened glass screen, here’s the link…

I bought mine from CCTV Shopper based in Wolverhampton, but their website seems to be down, I’m wondering permanently, just getting a 404 error for the last few weeks. Plenty of other stockists though.

I made up some metal work to mount it using all the original CRT fixing locations.

42C32864-ED8B-4222-8609-B32FDD4B1F70.jpeg3D6607BC-EF9C-4ED3-86BB-1C08CB4A8449.jpeg

Chris.

Crickey £374 on Amazon for this monitor. How much were you?

I think they were around that, but very nice displays. I’ve used probably ITRO 200 of a smaller size on industrial machinery for my work, only one failure and that was down to contamination ingress.

Chris.

Can you post a short video of your RFM and have you noticed a big difference in blacks on the machine. I have one of the first 55” LED TV’s and cannot fault it for colour and saturation.

@taz turbo - Done right sticking with the 4:3 ratio monitor. I am not keep on the widescreen monitors some have used. Image looks wrong.....

You are talking £50 for a used ebay LCD vs nearly £400. Did you have an LCD in before? Does it really make that much difference? Interested in hearing your views.

Back
Top Bottom