What's new

RFM Boot Error?

ronnie63

Site Supporter
Just noticed this on my rfm! " Bad update game code checksum" It will either restart and then boot ok or it will boot from the error ok, I'm assuming it's to do with the prism card? Maybe the battery? But I'm not sure?
Does anyone know?

Thanks Ronnie

Just noticed this on my rfm! " Bad update game code checksum" It will either restart and then boot ok or it will boot from the error ok, I'm assuming it's to do with the prism card? Maybe the battery? But I'm not sure?
Does anyone know?

Thanks Ronnie
Sounds like corrupt flash update and game reverting to rom card game version. Is the version reporting 0.9 or 0.1?

Need to redo the flash update

Can happen when the motherboard battery expires

Sounds like corrupt flash update and game reverting to rom card game version. Is the version reporting 0.9 or 0.1?

Need to redo the flash update

Can happen when the motherboard battery expires

Thanks Jim, all I can see is bootstrap loader version 3.2? I'm also getting a coil firing every couple of seconds when first switched on?

Thanks Ronnie

Thanks Jim, all I can see is bootstrap loader version 3.2? I'm also getting a coil firing every couple of seconds when first switched on?

Thanks Ronnie
So does the game boot to attract or stuck on the bios screen?

Do you want to send me your computer box and i can sort it out?? Can update it to the latest software at the same time?

So does the game boot to attract or stuck on the bios screen?

Do you want to send me your computer box and i can sort it out?? Can update it to the latest software at the same time?

It boots to attract Jim and can be played, I would probably rather try and deal with it myself if possible, thanks again for the reply

Ronnie

ok, so your update flash is corrupt as mentioned earlier You need to redo the update. I have a new updater program that a runs on windows 10 or mac should you need it

Thanks Jim, is that because the bios battery is dead? I did see your updater and updates work which is brilliant, I will look at that again, but at this point I may stick to the williams standard versions.

Cheers Ronnie

QA
Thanks Jim, is that because the bios battery is dead? I did see your updater and updates work which is brilliant, I will look at that again, but at this point I may stick to the williams standard versions.

Cheers Ronnie
as mentioned a dead bios battery can cause issues with the flash update. Possibly because sone bios settings get lost/changed

No idea why you want to run v1.5 but anyway download from pps and rerun your flash update. Should sort it

Cheers Ronnie

You really should try Jim’s improved software, it massively improves the game, you can also upgrade hardware, shaker, real knocker and a 6 ball multiball, what’s not to like!

You could always change the software revision back to ‘non improved’ retrospectively if you so wished.

Chris.

Ok looking at the software for pin 2000 it needs win98! I have no desire to look for such a device, so looks like the sensible option is to upgrade to Jims software and give the new code a go, will this update also sort out the lost bios settings? and will this null modem cable do the job?

Thanks Ronnie

Attachments

• null.jpg
    null.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 4
Ok looking at the software for pin 2000 it needs win98! I have no desire to look for such a device, so looks like the sensible option is to upgrade to Jims software and give the new code a go, will this update also sort out the lost bios settings? and will this null modem cable do the job?

Thanks Ronnie

My updater software that runs on win10 and mac will update any version of game as will the original williams win95 edition. It is not tied to game version.

FTDI leads are not a good selection, they are usually problematic. You need ones with a prolific chipset (v3 or higher). I have lead sets if you want or you can search online for them. Separate usb to serial adn null modem leads are better than all in one aswell

BIOS setting changes have to be done manually with the prism card removed. Try the flash update first and see if it sorts itself out. Of course make sure you have a new motherboard battery in first.

My updater software that runs on win10 and mac will update any version of game as will the original williams win95 edition. It is not tied to game version.

FTDI leads are not a good selection, they are usually problematic. You need ones with a prolific chipset (v3 or higher). I have lead sets if you want or you can search online for them. Separate usb to serial adn null modem leads are better than all in one aswell

BIOS setting changes have to be done manually with the prism card removed. Try the flash update first and see if it sorts itself out. Of course make sure you have a new motherboard battery in first.

Thanks Jim I will pull the pc out and check the battery and everything else whilst I'm at it, I found a usb to serial in my box of cables (must of been from my last revenge) but pc reports it's no longer supported from 2012 lol

Thanks Ronnie

Just checked the bios battery it's reading 3 volts, is it worth splitting the prism board to check it's battery? Also I assume the psu will be set to 110v AC?

Thanks Ronnie

Managed to read the prism battery in situ, looks good at 3 volts.

I did notice the black wires that go from sound board to prism have 2 wires branch off to a 2 pin plug that looks like went to the pins on the motherboard that would have power HDD led etc, this plug is not attached? Not sure if it should be and if so to which pins?

Thanks Ronnie

I have just fitted the computer back in the pin and it's back to version 1.5 with my high scores intact? I was watching the boot screen for the error but it only showed a few then stopped halfway then straight into the game. Not sure what was wrong, that 2 pin reset wire?

Thanks Ronnie

I have just fitted the computer back in the pin and it's back to version 1.5 with my high scores intact? I was watching the boot screen for the error but it only showed a few then stopped halfway then straight into the game. Not sure what was wrong, that 2 pin reset wire?

Thanks Ronnie
That wire is jsut so the game can reset itself. Maybe a bad connection on the PCI slot was causing a bad connection if you removed and reseated the prism card and now its ok. The flash update must have been ok still.

If you have an error in red on the boot screen still you need to post a picture of what its saying. I cant help much otherwise!

That wire is jsut so the game can reset itself. Maybe a bad connection on the PCI slot was causing a bad connection if you removed and reseated the prism card and now its ok. The flash update must have been ok still.

If you have an error in red on the boot screen still you need to post a picture of what its saying. I cant help much otherwise!

Thanks Jim, no I did not remove the prism card, I just read the battery volts in situ, I will have phone ready if it errors again, I will probably still update it to try the new code if it remains stable as it is now.

Thanks Jim, no I did not remove the prism card, I just read the battery volts in situ, I will have phone ready if it errors again, I will probably still update it to try the new code if it remains stable as it is now.
Weird, so it reverted to v0.1 rom card game version (meaning the flash ram on the prism wasn't loadable), then just started working again with the flash update without actually doing anything?? Fingers crosses then that your prism card hasn't got some sort of weird intermittent issue.

Yeah something is not right!

I left it running an hour then rebooted it, back to the error screen but it went into the 0.1 version!

C3D721EF-6101-434D-A6F3-1783ECDB7FCE.jpeg

6F1F64D9-09C8-4337-9BDB-B6242101CC63.jpeg

I rebooted it again same error it looped another reset by itself, no error and went back to 1.5 again?

Yeah something is not right!

I left it running an hour then rebooted it, back to the error screen but it went into the 0.1 version!

View attachment 171000

View attachment 170999

I rebooted it again same error it looped another reset by itself, no error and went back to 1.5 again?
I would try reflashing it a different version to clear out the flash ram. Also try reseating the prism card.

I would try reflashing it a different version to clear out the flash ram. Also try reseating the prism card.

I will give that a try Jim, would it be worth splitting the prism and reseating the roms? What would be lost data wise doing this?

Thanks Ronnie

I will give that a try Jim, would it be worth splitting the prism and reseating the roms? What would be lost data wise doing this?

Thanks Ronnie
There’s no point doing that as your Roms work fine hence the 0.1 fallback version. The update is stored on the flash ram in the prism part

Ok just reseated the prism card and now the game is dead! I can see an led lit on the prism card the pc fan is spinning but nothing on the screen?

Thanks Ronnie

Update, I removed the prism and powered on, pc did not post, so I reseated the ram then I got lines on the screen, so I put prism back and now it works, but still the bad update error and version 0.1!

Update, I removed the prism and powered on, pc did not post, so I reseated the ram then I got lines on the screen, so I put prism back and now it works, but still the bad update error and version 0.1!

You would be best to send me the prism card at least so i can check it here in another games computer to see if its working fine and the issue is the computer side - motherboard... :(

Or if you want to do it all yourself then you are going to need to find another game to swap parts in & out of. or do what i said before and try a game update to the prism.

If your motherboard is hosed then good luck finding another one!! I have some but they are not cheap. or its pinbox time..

You would be best to send me the prism card at least so i can check it here in another games computer to see if its working fine and the issue is the computer side - motherboard... :(

Or if you want to do it all yourself then you are going to need to find another game to swap parts in & out of. or do what i said before and try a game update to the prism.

If your motherboard is hosed then good luck finding another one!! I have some but they are not cheap. or its pinbox time..

Thanks Jim, I guess it's worth trying an update to see how it goes, I would rather keep it as standard with the CRT if possible, I will report back and see where we go from there.

Thanks Ronnie

Back
Top Bottom