What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinball Expo

@Mfresh, this is excellent reporting! You've managed to reveal so many interesting new things!

Love that BIG SCREEN in FULL THROTTLE. Stick that in your pipe Stern and smoke it!

Although it doesn't matter two hoots to me as I'll never buy a NIB, I'm surprised and disappointed that TBL has lost it's soundtrack, probably one, if not the, most critical feature. No Eagles, Elvis Costello, Bob Dylan, Booker T., Nina Simone, CCR, Santana, Dean Martin...

Koi Morris is a bloody legend :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

So enjoyed hanging out with him when he came over in 2009 , for the UK Show and the PAPA thing at Pins Anon, and also to ride every station on the London Underground in 1 day !!?!! Which he did :rofl:Truly we are not worthy

Reminds me of this...

@Mfresh,Although it doesn't matter two hoots to me as I'll never buy a NIB, I'm surprised and disappointed that TBL has lost it's soundtrack, probably one, if not the, most critical feature. No Eagles, Elvis Costello, Bob Dylan, Booker T., Nina Simone, CCR, Santana, Dean Martin...
I guess the machine will be that much cheaper then! .....NOT!

Apparently the way that the license works is that you can't just use the music - if you license the music you have to display the movie clip where the music is used at the same time. That's how Nauta explained it anyway, and that obviously wont work in a pinball machine.

So they have recreated it, and what we heard sounded pretty good. We were shown quite a few bits of demo footage which show clips from the movie, and I wonder if they wont get quite tedious after youve played the game a few times.

Wonder how much the Alien kit will be? I can see an operator liking the idea of buying a Full Throttle and being about to put in ALIEN as soon as its ready.

Also is must be a matter of when rather than if Stern bring in a flat screen.

Seeing as how the game is designed to be easy to swap stuff out and all that, cant see why they dont sell a minimal playfield and software set, and let you take the flipper modules and bumper modules off your FT and install them on your Alien playfield when you swap the playfield. That would make it cost even less - why do you need two sets of flipper modules when you are using one set at a time?

Just been to a future of pinball talk by some patent lawyer who reckons you can see what innovations are coming to pinball by examining patents. The next big things are going to be accelerometer based tilt detection systems, and a movie licensed based game called Flaming Ace McFealy. Apparently.

Last edited:
We want the Hooters girls !!!!

You're welcome.

hooters.jpg

I'm going to try and find Jaap Nauta from DP in an hour or so when the vendor hall opens and find out if it may be possible to do some sort of Pinball Browser software on TBL so people can put back the original tracks, or whether there software will be encrypted.

Not much else happening till 9.30pm when there is a Stern GoT launch party with more free beer and food.

For anyone interested in The Big Lebowski, some good and bad news.
The good news is that it will apparently be easy to remove the music it comes with and replace it with MP3s of the original songs. I don't know how exactly, but it will be straightforward.

The bad news, and this is entirely subjective so only bad news for me, perhaps, is that I thought the game is really unimpressive. It looks really dated, it plays really slowly, the music at the moment is dull and tedious, and the whole thing is a bit of a repetitive chore. I played with a couple of others last night and each of us duly got to the Let's go Bowling bit within 20 seconds or so, then waited for the bowling alley to be ready, won the bowling (its really easy) and carried on hitting the rug and various other shots and getting the same clips. The upper playfield is also very easy. The video clips really slow the game down and by the third time I had seen some of them (when the 3rd player activated them) I was falling asleep.

The game is not complete and still in prototype and could get much better I suppose, and I hope it goes well as the Dutch Pinball guys are really good guys and deserve to succeed, but I don't know.....

BY contrast I had a few goes on Kiss and even though I am not a Kiss fan and didnt expect to like it I was smitten. Great game, great shots, fantastic lighting effects, really fast - everything you want really.

IMG_2445.jpg

Also had a go on Whoa! Nellie BJM and that was also excellent. Simple but great fun.

IMG_2450.jpg

Weirdest product I saw on sale was a cardboard pinball machine

IMG_2449.jpg

Gary Stern turned up and did a Q and A session, and mostly trotted out answers we've heard before as they were the same old questions (he must get sick of the same old questions).

IMG_2454.jpg

A few things he did say:
Iron Man VE is sold out (we saw them being made but they are all accounted for)
A whole slate of Stern games will be coming to Farsight
A next generation product (whatever that means) will come out next year, aimed at pinball newbies
There may be vault editions of older Stern games.

Then they launched the new GoT LE at the launch party.

(Spoiler alert)
And I can reveal that at the end of the next season of Game of Thrones all the main characters die and the person who takes the Iron Throne is....

IMG_2447.jpg

Nice reporting:)

Reading general expo reports seems like Hobbit is best of the new games? It does look great.

Dennis Norman, Greg Freres, Mark and Steve Ritchie, George Gomez, Roger Sharpe, Barry Oursler John Trudeau and others send everyone at Pinball.Info who have been on this thread, and everyone else, their best wishes:

IMG_2460.JPG

That about wraps it up over here. A flight home to Sunny High Wycombe awaits... Have a good rest of the weekend everyone

That is really cool Paul, thanks for your report and the personalised signatures from the pinball hall of fame, have a safe journey back :)

Wow Paul - i NEED a colour scan of that!!! (Please!!) - Want to put it up on my wall :)

Thanks for all the updates mate! It's been so cool having someone on the ground giving us live updates. Love the sigs need a copy of that for the wall too ;)

Safe journey!

Wow Paul - i NEED a colour scan of that!!! (Please!!) - Want to put it up on my wall :)

Lot of pinball designer names which are cool, but, I'm finding myself more drawn towards the top half of that paper - that'd be the thing I'd be proud of more than anything @Paul, but I'd guess you'd get less for the signatures on ebay :) @Judge Dreads, @Calimori and @ronsplooter for sure could do with adding to that paper before you get a print, and a few others who joined here in June 2011, and some since, who had the (occasionally heated, but usually productive) conversations that defined what is ok and not ok in this place now.

Back
Top Bottom