What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pin wanted, up to 2k, be gentle....

Craig Elder

Registered
Hi all.
Pin noob 'ere, know bugger all apart from what I've learned on a few pin sites.
So, turned a room into a nice bar / man-cave and have a perfect spot for a pin. Not only do I know bugger all about them, barely played any for about 30 years, so be gentle with me, and tell me if I'm asking too much.

After a fun pin under 2 grand that's a good laugh to play, but has a theme that goes well in a man cave, so no 'turtles' or fish tales. No older than 1990 and ideally within 2 hours of Chesterfield so I can come and have a wee play before handing over the readies. Has to be 100% functional, aint got the skills or desire to be fixing anything!
Preferred themes, booze, Pirates, Dr Who, Sci-fi, poker and card games and anything musical.!

No 1 preference so far, Revenge from Mars. But would be very interested in any of these at the right price.

Dr Who
Black rose
Guns n Roses
T3

Sound do-able to you guys?
Cheers

Oh, P.S, sorry no football games either, hate the damn sport! :)

Last edited:
Not sure why you would think Turtles or Fish Tales isn't suitable for a man cave? Fish Tales is a great game. Does your man cave have a theme?

Not sure why you would think Turtles or Fish Tales isn't suitable for a man cave? Fish Tales is a great game. Does your man cave have a theme?
Theme's a bit all over the place! Booze, obvs, Pirates, Dr Who, poker and card games and anything musical. I hear you about Fish tales etc, but it just feels a little too childish. *waits for justified abuse*

Last edited:
Fish Tales is a great game, its a mistake to under-rate it. One of the best bargains in pinball. So I guess your obvious pinballs are World Poker Tour and Dr Who. Might need to up your budget for those a bit though. The £1500 RFM on here is a good buy, plenty of humour etc. But Fish Tales would always be my number one recommendation under £2K.

I’m pretty new to whole pinball scene but one thing I’ve picked up is that sometimes you gotta sacrifice the theme for the way the table plays. I.e might be a wicked game but the theme may not interest you, and vice versa (cool theme but rubbish game).

I’m pretty new to whole pinball scene but one thing I’ve picked up is that sometimes you gotta sacrifice the theme for the way the table plays. I.e might be a wicked game but the theme may not interest you, and vice versa (cool theme but rubbish game).

Very true. I started off building a man cave with a pool table and everything became pool themed, then bought a Cue Ball Wizard as my first pin. Got bored of pool and sold the pool table. Now theres a fuseball table in there and no desire whatsoever to buy football themed pinball machines. Could be an air hockey machine in there next week or a Dance Dance Revolution who knows?

Very true. I started off building a man cave with a pool table and everything became pool themed, then bought a Cue Ball Wizard as my first pin. Got bored of pool and sold the pool table. Now theres a fuseball table in there and no desire whatsoever to buy football themed pinball machines. Could be an air hockey machine in there next week or a Dance Dance Revolution who knows?
Yeah, thats the trick I guess, aint it? Good playability plus a sort of matching theme. I'm in no hurry (thats a lie, I'm gagging to have my own pin) so I guess I'll wait and see what pops up.

Fish Tales is a great game, its a mistake to under-rate it. One of the best bargains in pinball. So I guess your obvious pinballs are World Poker Tour and Dr Who. Might need to up your budget for those a bit though. The £1500 RFM on here is a good buy, plenty of humour etc. But Fish Tales would always be my number one recommendation under £2K.
Thats for that shout sir, RFM does look hilarious. Were you saying there was one on here for sale? That link took me elsewhere.

There are a few decent games that you can get for £2K, I just got myself a Johnny Mnemonic for my man cave. There's a No Fear around here somewhere that's well within budget but that might have sold now.

Ah yeah, found it thanks. Prolly would have had it, but sounds like it needs a few wee tweaks to be 100%

Seems mostly cosmetic. For the money it seems like a bargain. I have one already otherwise I'd probably have snapped it up.

Seems mostly cosmetic. For the money it seems like a bargain. I have one already otherwise I'd probably have snapped it up.

(Quoted wrong post)

There's nothing scary that I recall, worst case is probably a new audio amp that just plugs in.

Welcome aboard !

2K will get you pretty much any pre 90s pin no problem :thumbs: And many 90s games - Dr Who is still easily sub 2K ....I sold a lovely one not long ago for 1400
Ooooo, the Dr Who one! My bar has a full size Dalek and a Tardis cupboard / beer fridge, so I'd be well tempted if one came along. P'raps not as fun as some I've seen, but cool sound and.. well, Daleks!! Thanks pal, will keep an eye out.

(Quoted wrong post)

There's nothing scary that I recall, worst case is probably a new audio amp that just plugs in.
I s'pect you're right sir, but I'm the biggest DIY ****** in the world, so don't want to have to do anything to it, just want plug and play. Reck I'll email the guy, see if he could get it 100% and then what he'd take.

I used to think that fish tales was crap, alongside Addams Family in the arcade - no competition.

Then I bought one, anticipating that I would sell it on after a couple of months. It was my most played game of 2017 out of the 14 or so that I owned last year

You never know how good a game is until you really know the rules. And these things are extremely personal decisions.

2 grand gets you a few bally decent Williams dmd games from the 90 to 95 era. Stuff like fish tales. Shadow. Jonny M, wcs94, dirty harry

But the price you pay for a good player below 2 grand is a tepid theme and or dodgy artwork. But for a good player with good art you are in 3k plus nowadays and 5k for an Addams unfortunately

As long as you pay a mid price for it you can sell it on again when you get bored with it. The key things are your in price really, and not buying a lemon.

I s'pect you're right sir, but I'm the biggest DIY ****** in the world, so don't want to have to do anything to it, just want plug and play. Reck I'll email the guy, see if he could get it 100% and then what he'd take.

Bear in mind that it will go wrong and I'm yet to buy a pin that doesn't have at least one problem on arrival at home. You will need a fair amount of cash for callouts if you are that bad at fixing stuff.

I used to think that fish tales was crap, alongside Addams Family in the arcade - no competition.

Then I bought one, anticipating that I would sell it on after a couple of months. It was my most played game of 2017 out of the 14 or so that I owned last year

You never know how good a game is until you really know the rules. And these things are extremely personal decisions.

2 grand gets you a few bally decent Williams dmd games from the 90 to 95 era. Stuff like fish tales. Shadow. Jonny M, wcs94, dirty harry

But the price you pay for a good player below 2 grand is a tepid theme and or dodgy artwork. But for a good player with good art you are in 3k plus nowadays and 5k for an Addams unfortunately

As long as you pay a mid price for it you can sell it on again when you get bored with it. The key things are your in price really, and not buying a lemon.
Thats for the scoop sir. Plan might be to head to the few pin arcades around the country and play as many as I can get my hands on. Once I get one, don't really see myself swapping it, so want to get it right first time! But..... as I guess all you players know, that might change if I get bored!!

You will have to move fast to get it. Dmd games below 2 grand go quick. And by quick I mean within hours. Games on here can get sold within a few minutes.

Three years ago 1200 got you a nice dmd game, but that is more like 2k nowadays.

You will have to take a leap of faith I am afraid. But if you buy from a known geek on here, you will be doing the right thing.

Thats for the scoop sir. Plan might be to head to the few pin arcades around the country and play as many as I can get my hands on. Once I get one, don't really see myself swapping it, so want to get it right first time! But..... as I guess all you players know, that might change if I get bored!!

Everyone thinks that way at first but it rarely works out that way. Variety is the spice of life. You don't have to marry it.

Bear in mind that it will go wrong and I'm yet to buy a pin that doesn't have at least one problem on arrival at home. You will need a fair amount of cash for callouts if you are that bad at fixing stuff.
Oh dammit, don't say that man, I was hoping to get sommat I never have to dick about with! Maybe I can find someone round dese 'ere parts, thats good at fixing 'em.

Oh dammit, don't say that man, I was hoping to get sommat I never have to dick about with! Maybe I can find someone round dese 'ere parts, thats good at fixing 'em.

They can be very reliable. It's pot luck really. The higher your budget the less problems in theory (but of course that's not really true). I haven't had to do a single thing to my RFM or TWD. No real problems on my TAF other than a flipper rebuild. I created a few problems on my CBW through unecessary curiosity tinkering. But in my experience they can be very reliable and problem free.

#TOUCH WOOD#

They can be very reliable. It's pot luck really. The higher your budget the less problems in theory (but of course that's not really true). I haven't had to do a single thing to my RFM or TWD. No real problems on my TAF other than a flipper rebuild. I created a few problems on my CBW through unecessary curiosity tinkering. But in my experience they can be very reliable and problem free.

#TOUCH WOOD#
Like cars I reck then huh? You can pay a grand and get sommat that'll run til the wheels fall off, and pay 20k for a proper pig! Wish I had the dollar for an ACDC, I didn't know they made 'em for partic'lar bands. Now, if they made an Electric Light Orchestra pin, I'd sell the frickin house to buy it! :) (Course, then where would I put it!)

The Getaway, High Speed II is also worth a look and should be able to pick one up for £1500 - 2000. Manly with fast Car theme etc

Saying that I was reintroduced to Dr Who last year in the Irish pinball league, such a great game and if you are into Dr Who surely its a no brainer ?

Good luck with your search and Welcome to the Forum...:wave:

The Getaway, High Speed II is also worth a look and should be able to pick one up for £1500 - 2000. Manly with fast Car theme etc

Saying that I was reintroduced to Dr Who last year in the Irish pinball league, such a great game and if you are into Dr Who surely its a no brainer ?

Good luck with your search and Welcome to the Forum...:wave:
Thanks man, appreciate the welcome, folks have been grand so far. You're right, I think if I find a Doctor Who in good shape at the right price, that will be the winner. I did like the RFM tho, just for the giggles.

Black Rose is another pretty cool game, saw one on gumtree for £1.5k if your into a swashbuckling adventure! He’s sold it now though and not taken the ad down. Download the pinball arcade app and try a few tables (free app - don’t pay just watch a few ads) and see if you like a table before you buy a real one :) If anyone’s selling one i’d be interested too ;)

Black Rose is another pretty cool game, saw one on gumtree for £1.5k if your into a swashbuckling adventure! He’s sold it now though and not taken the ad down. Download the pinball arcade app and try a few tables (free app - don’t pay just watch a few ads) and see if you like a table before you buy a real one :) If anyone’s selling one i’d be interested too ;)
Deffo another one to watch for, Elders bar also rocks a Pirate theme, yeah, Dr Who plus pirates, whatever! Thanks for that sir.

Back
Top Bottom