What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Covid boosters

I am lucky enough to have a modern so called classic. A 90s merc with 80l fuel tank. It appreciates, costs below 200 insurance. It is a perfect fuel tank.

Honda eu 20i generator, new model is eu22i. Smooth enough to run a computer, router etc. With extension leads you can power fridge, freezer, central heating pump...... I bought mine years ago as my wife works from home and backup made perfect business sense.
Fire it up every couple or months so she is ready to go, use pure petrol without ethanol in it to keep the carb clean.

Hopefully it will not come to this but the UK has depleted its gas storage reserves, the North Sea ain't what it was, energy prices are spiking, low wind is forecast.

Even California has power cuts.

Doesn’t seem long ago when everyone was taking the p1$$ out of those Yankee preppers 🤷‍♀️

I wonder if they will try something different, e.g. the 10 day isolation for a close contact is one main reason we have shortages of workers in schools and hospitals (the other of course being people who have tested positive themselves). Cut that to 5 days and we get people back to work sooner. Also of the people who test positive - they can go back to work sooner as they are only capable of infecting others for a short period of time.

I know of 9 people who all got pinged yesterday as close contact - 10 days isolation for all of them - all are boosted, 6 tested negative yesterday lat flow, one was tested via ONS survey 3 days ago - PCR, if they'd have been positive they would have been informed by now. 2 have run out of home lat flow tests. 9 people who probably not harmful to anyone taken out of society, and gonna miss Christmas with their families. The transmissability of the new variant means the old rules are less relevant.

Why are pinged people isolating? The last few sets of rules were for 10 day LFT rather than isolation. I’ve been getting pinged multiple times. I’m pretty certain on the text message it just says to do a PCR if you have symptoms. The isolation thing ended in August.

Weirdly it also applies to people who live with others who are positive which seems a bit crazy.

Last edited:
Would be interesting to know what proportion of NHS ping app users have employment/ retirement packages that see them getting paid for isolating and doing nothing at home.

It was a similar story with the kids. We all knew the disruptive kids when we were in the classroom. All they had to do was apply a dab of soft drink to a LFT and it was off school for a few more days.

Omicron is doubtless spreading like wildfire, but plenty of moral hazard flying about too.

I have been contacted by afew people who have tested positive this week meaning I have done 2 tests this week , I’m feeling **** due to kids giving me a cold and sore throat, it makes you paranoid, the pm needs to get a grip on the news, the news needs to be better for society and not shock value, and we all know one thing , we really don’t need a 50k Beatles or a rush pin.

People can isolate and test positive all they like but once it starts eating into energy, food supply chains that is a real real danger.

I wonder if they will try something different, e.g. the 10 day isolation for a close contact is one main reason we have shortages of workers in schools and hospitals (the other of course being people who have tested positive themselves). Cut that to 5 days and we get people back to work sooner. Also of the people who test positive - they can go back to work sooner as they are only capable of infecting others for a short period of time.

I know of 9 people who all got pinged yesterday as close contact - 10 days isolation for all of them - all are boosted, 6 tested negative yesterday lat flow, one was tested via ONS survey 3 days ago - PCR, if they'd have been positive they would have been informed by now. 2 have run out of home lat flow tests. 9 people who probably not harmful to anyone taken out of society, and gonna miss Christmas with their families. The transmissability of the new variant means the old rules are less relevant.
Those 9 people shouldn’t be isolating. The rules changed on tuesday, if fully vaccinated or under 18.5 you are only advised to take LFT for 7 days not self isolate if you’re a close contact of someone who tests positive.

Edit: sorry reread post, out of the 9 the 6 who tested negative shouldn’t be isolating.

Last edited:
oops, sorry yes I got that wrong, just checked with one of them - it says go get a pcr test. He did and waiting for results. One of my other mates has said he cant be ****d and is ignoring it. I best most of others are too.

The confusion over rules is part of the problem.

Self isolation for no reason isn’t sustainable but if you have 3 out of 4 people in a house testing positive and the 4th is still testing negative then should they be going to work as normal?

I’ve got to collect my son from uni today despite him being positive as they won’t cater for students over the holiday and he has to hand his room back.

A load of them tested positive at the start of this week but he’s the only one who has remained in isolation. Literally all the others have gone home so we’ve got a scenario where kids from cities are now going back to small towns / villages all around the U.K.

The uni kids will atomise Omicron into every nook and cranny of the UK.

Some day we will know whether this was a gift from God.

Got pinged yesterday yet again. Looking at the date the most likely connection was in the booster queue. So yet another 7 days of LFTs.

Arm hurt far more with Pfizer than it did with AZ. Went after a couple of days though

oops, sorry yes I got that wrong, just checked with one of them - it says go get a pcr test. He did and waiting for results. One of my other mates has said he cant be ****d and is ignoring it. I best most of others are too.
let’s hope he doesn’t kick the bucket - you can get a headstone made up for him “was a stupid count”

download the spreadsheet - Interesting read - the current death rates are low compared to Jan this year.

Plus:

I can see why the govt siting on the fence, doesn't really yet seem to be a compelling reason for further restrictions.

Looking at the data - When we had a peak of new cases earlier in the year, the death rate rose accordingly 2-3 weeks later. We started to se a rise in cases several weeks ago, and as yet the death rate hasn't followed suit - I conclude the vaccines are working and doing what they were intended to do - stop people dying.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but it's still too early to make any assumptions about Omicron based upon death data. There were a very small number of cases a few weeks ago - we'll start seeing the real impact, if any, over the next couple of weeks

The time between symptom onset and death ranges from 2 - 8 weeks. The median time between symptom onset and death is in the range of 16 to 19 days.

16 days ago was Sun 5th Dec. On this date we reported 43,285 new cases and the seven day average was at 45,353.

19 days ago was Thurs 2nd Dec. One this date we reported 53,067 new cases and the seven day average was at 43,940.

The seven day average was higher than this in late October, peaking at 47,209 on 23rd October, so it would make sense that we're not seeing higher numbers than we've seen over recent months at this point.

The seven day average has been creeping up over the past ten days or so, starting at 50,049 on the 11th Dec with a high of 82,808 yesterday. It will take 2 - 3 weeks for these recent increases to be reflected in the data.

Once again, I'm not saying that you're wrong re Omicron. I'm still just saying it's too early to tell.

I can see why the govt siting on the fence, doesn't really yet seem to be a compelling reason for further restrictions.

As an aside that may stray a little too close to the politics line, for some small businesses the current government position is the worst of both worlds. London is pretty much in a stealth lockdown - people are scared to catch Omicron and have their Christmas plans ruined for the second year running. so hardly anyone is going out. Almost everyone I know who was planning on leaving London to visit family over Christmas left much earlier than planned to escape. Then there's the fact that loads of businesses have been hit with incredible staff shortages due to infection - but because there is no lockdown and they are permitted to be open, there is no government support.

At least one local pub has had to close entirely due to every single member of staff coming down with Omicron over the past week. A friends business has seen well over 70% of Xmas parties and bookings cancelled over the past 7 - 10 days. Pubs, bars and restaurants are empty. It's awful and there's zero support from the government due to no official restrictions.

Back
Top Bottom