What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opto help

Punk Stig

Registered
Hey people,
So, judge dredd upper opto randomly goes off, (big loop used for skill shot)
put it into switch test, bang the sides of cabinet and playfield, doesn't activate, tap the metal ball guides with a screw driver and it activates, flip upper right flipper and it activates, wiggle wires to receiver under playfield and it occasionally activates, rarely it will stay stuck on as activated for a few seconds.
Tried cleaning both optos several times, I know sometimes it's hard to diagnose something through text, but am I looking at replacing the optos?
I've never soldered onto a pcb before, not only that but it appears to get to the receiver opto means removing the vast majority of ramps, ffs!
Advice, appreciated!

Don't know of easy solution. If you can reach a soldering iron in you may just be able to reflow the joints without taking them out. Else long screw driver to undo the screws. Otherwise its Ramps off. I sell the Optos pre mounted to the circuit board to make installation easier.

Cheers guys, thought it might be an opto change job, sigh, when wiggling th e wires they don't look loose in any way but I'm assuming what can't be seen by the eye is more the problem

The component can have cracked solder joint which is impossible to see unless close up. Also the leg of the LED can be fractured between the component and the board.

Managed to remove the opto sensor without completely disassembling the ramps, to the naked eye the solder points looked OK, but I ran the iron over them with a touch of fresh solder anyway, refitted, played several games and appears to be OK, couple of different niggles have appeared since (not immediately registering ball drains) but just thought I'd update those that offered advice, thanks

Reactions: JT.
Back
Top Bottom