What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lifting pinball machines

kevlar

Site Supporter
Alias
Kevin Donovan
Some of you may have seen on Facebook that I'm back in hospital having a torn rotator cuff tendon sewn back on ( left shoulder) . You may also remember I had the right shoulder redone 4 weeks ago, having been re-attached once already last December.

Why all these shoulder injuries? Well the right shoulder was torn last August pulling a cable through a wall of all things but it was probably just the straw that broke the camels back kind of thing. The left shoulder was torn helping unload a machine out of the back of a van in April at the Welsh pinball weekend. I definitely should have known better, we all know how to move machines, slide it out, pivot and tip it then stand it up and get it on a sack truck but this one was loaded in such a way that it had to be lifted down. Like I said I should have known better and gone for more help but no, I went ahead and lifted it, I actually felt it go.

If you Google rotator cuff tears you'll see they are common in sportsmen ( I'm ok there then! :D ) but also as you get older tendons get weaker and the space between the bones in your shoulder gets smaller as bony spurs build up between them. I'm 51, so not that old and probably not much above the pinhead average age.
So.... For ****s sake people look after yourselves and do not take the full weight of a pinball machine with just 2 of you. I used to be pretty strong in my early 20's, always in the gym and I've had a manual job all my life ( well, apart from the last 6 years as a power station operator AKA Homer Simpson ) but that makes no difference, pinball machines are damn heavy if not moved correctly. There will be no direct lifting from me anymore.

IMG_0978.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. Also got a rotator cuff injury - from lifting a playfield out of a game.

Got teenage boys so they have been trained in the art of moving games as I sure can't do it;)

And heard that Dialled In is another 300lb game - crazy weight!

Get well soon!

This was one advantage of a Heighway Pinball cab, the playfield comes out easily.

I think that any company looking to sell into the home should consider making their machines break down for easier transportation.

We're not all young gorillas!

Sorry to hear this Kev, hope you are back to full pinball health soon m8,
You better be fit for duty at Manchester ;)

Just found this thread - sorry to hear of the injury and thank you for the good advice Kev, I shall try to be careful myself in future.

Get well soon.

Get well soon Kev. I will adopt your Tron whilst you recover to stop it seizing up. ;)

2 of us did move a machine at the weekend from one location to another. Bloody heavy and nearly killed my mate. Good advice and hope you're better soon.

Get well soon

I've set up a couple of machines by myself over the years (usually because I'm too impatient to wait for a mate to get home from work to help me) and it early killed me!

you need a shark fin. put the front legs on, rotate down in the usual way, lifts the back off the ground enabling an easier lift or use of a scissor jack.
I could do with one of these. I almost always set up machines on my own and find the hardest and riskiest part is getting the rear end from ground to leg height in one go.

Is this home made or can you buy them?

It looks like you slide this in where you'd normally have a sack truck slide in, then when you pull the front over the back will lift as it rolls on the wooden device.
Yeah that's what I thought. So when you lift the rear to put the back legs on it will only be a short distance to lift.

Trying to lift the rear of a beast like TH or TZ from the floor in one motion is a real back breaker. It's easier to lift when you're on your knees to start but then you have stand up while taking the weight of the machine which is a real knee breaker!

Everyone I know that's done their back in from pin lifting has done it on this step - either lowering the back to the floor, or lifting up the back to put the legs on

Yeah that's what I thought. So when you lift the rear to put the back legs on it will only be a short distance to lift.

Trying to lift the rear of a beast like TH or TZ from the floor in one motion is a real back breaker. It's easier to lift when you're on your knees to start but then you have stand up while taking the weight of the machine which is a real knee breaker!

exactly this. just put mustang on its legs lifts it about 8" off the deck and the rest is easy to lift.

Back
Top Bottom