What's new

LED recommendations?

System11

Registered
So I finally got Apollo 13 running again after being stored for nearly 4 years, and the playfield inserts are a bit dim. I'll be treating that as a fault anyway but the previous owner had fitted a bunch of frosted LEDs to the playfield GI only and honestly it seems to suit the game.

Can anyone recommend me some LEDs and potentially a supplier for the inserts lights? I don't want them as bright as a thousand burning suns like the guys in the states seem to love, but it would seem like a good idea for an upgrade. They need to not ghost or flicker. Also I think I read somewhere that cool whites are better behind mostly-black translites, I could do with recommendations on ones to buy and put in there too - I'd like to avoid the 'spots of light' effect from ones which are too bright and focused.

I started trying to read around and it seems like there's a thousand different types and makes now!

Here's a photo by the way, I'd like the translite to more or less match the hue of the playfield GI:

pbs.twimg.com_media_CdcsNwEWAAA0Sya.jpg

Also a fun thing which I'll try to capture on film at some point - the cooler playfield lighting results in the flasher in the rocket looking warmer than it normally does, really works for the launch sequence!

Personally i like Comet (http://www.cometpinball.com/), however it can be a mare trying to work out which you need to use, although their "Optix Maximus" is excellent for GI lighting.

for inserts, i would check out www.pinball-led.co.uk - @alchy has a variety of insert kits available which are colour matched to the inserts, so look better

Most LED's though will mean that things are a lot brighter (and better on the driver boards as they draw MUCH less current), and will need a little getting used to :)

Yeah I had a Tron LE and the LEDs on that were fine, much brighter but not unpleasant to look at. Usually I don't like to put LEDs in machines but they seem to really work on this one. Don't suppose you have a spare pair of Comet ones I could buy to test with?

I'll try pinball-led, has anyone compared Superbrite to Premium 2?

Comet all the way for me, I really hate ghosting and have tried quite a few suposed non ghosting. Only ones I trust are from comet, anything else is a gamble.

I'd 'third' the Comet option, by far the best LEDs and I've pretty much tried them all.

As Paul said it can be a mare sorting out what you need and which ones to use, so if possible over order or at least get a selection of different types to try them all that way when you do a second order you'll know which ones to get.

Back
Top Bottom