What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED recommendations?

System11

Registered
So I finally got Apollo 13 running again after being stored for nearly 4 years, and the playfield inserts are a bit dim. I'll be treating that as a fault anyway but the previous owner had fitted a bunch of frosted LEDs to the playfield GI only and honestly it seems to suit the game.

Can anyone recommend me some LEDs and potentially a supplier for the inserts lights? I don't want them as bright as a thousand burning suns like the guys in the states seem to love, but it would seem like a good idea for an upgrade. They need to not ghost or flicker. Also I think I read somewhere that cool whites are better behind mostly-black translites, I could do with recommendations on ones to buy and put in there too - I'd like to avoid the 'spots of light' effect from ones which are too bright and focused.

I started trying to read around and it seems like there's a thousand different types and makes now!

Here's a photo by the way, I'd like the translite to more or less match the hue of the playfield GI:

pbs.twimg.com_media_CdcsNwEWAAA0Sya.jpg

Also a fun thing which I'll try to capture on film at some point - the cooler playfield lighting results in the flasher in the rocket looking warmer than it normally does, really works for the launch sequence!

Personally i like Comet (http://www.cometpinball.com/), however it can be a mare trying to work out which you need to use, although their "Optix Maximus" is excellent for GI lighting.

for inserts, i would check out www.pinball-led.co.uk - @alchy has a variety of insert kits available which are colour matched to the inserts, so look better

Most LED's though will mean that things are a lot brighter (and better on the driver boards as they draw MUCH less current), and will need a little getting used to :)

Yeah I had a Tron LE and the LEDs on that were fine, much brighter but not unpleasant to look at. Usually I don't like to put LEDs in machines but they seem to really work on this one. Don't suppose you have a spare pair of Comet ones I could buy to test with?

I'll try pinball-led, has anyone compared Superbrite to Premium 2?

Comet all the way for me, I really hate ghosting and have tried quite a few suposed non ghosting. Only ones I trust are from comet, anything else is a gamble.

I'd 'third' the Comet option, by far the best LEDs and I've pretty much tried them all.

As Paul said it can be a mare sorting out what you need and which ones to use, so if possible over order or at least get a selection of different types to try them all that way when you do a second order you'll know which ones to get.

Back
Top Bottom