What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expired LCD-DMD

Expired Due to no activity
It is possible to colour each frame individually but David wont do it due to legal threats from Colordmd - they obviously feel threatened that someone has the wherewithal to charge a sensible price for these screens and make a profit rather than a killing.

I've discussed this a few times with Dave and it makes me want to say very angry sweary things at the colourdmd people.

Rather then provide the product at a competitive price (which we know can be done as Dave can do it) They'd rather invest the money made from their higher profit margin product into litigation to prevent competition. It's the 'Merican way

I've discussed this a few times with Dave and it makes me want to say very angry sweary things at the colourdmd people.

Rather then provide the product at a competitive price (which we know can be done as Dave can do it) They'd rather invest the money made from their higher profit margin product into litigation to prevent competition. It's the 'Merican way

Agreed, hopefully this will at least dent their sales of the "sigma" for the ridiculous price they charge.

I'd rather spend the time doing a screen by screen for my Jolly park, which isnt a b/w and Colordmd arent interested in letting me do... All because it's not a popular game...(400 made, 300 estimated left) :(

@DrPinball - David - Does it have to be a b/w or Stern to allow it to be used? Are there any limitations to what machine type can be used?

Last edited:
I'd rather spend the time doing a screen by screen for my Jolly park, which isnt a b/w and Colordmd arent interested in letting me do... All because it's not a popular game...(400 made, 300 estimated left) :(

Would have to need special fitting for that? Think even with a p-roc you could have a job there. @Snux would probably know!

Still want to colour the frames tho :( Talk about unique! the only one in the world with a proper Colour DMD...

Still want to colour the frames tho :( Talk about unique! the only one in the world with a proper Colour DMD...

Sounds like me & my future Robocop lol. Would be difficult to do what you want without something like the p-roc and re-writing the game. Coloring the frames or making lcd from it.

Or.. unless you can get into the developer section in colordmd and grab the software to color frames , but wouldn't know if they support that board.

@DrPinball install service. Cheers dave.
image.jpg

Sounds like me & my future Robocop lol. Would be difficult to do what you want without something like the p-roc and re-writing the game. Coloring the frames or making lcd from it.

I cant understand the issue. all the hardware does is match the DMd frames and replace with the coloured version. It shouldnt be mashine specific, since all you are doing is intercepting the frames to the DMD, and the DMD is the same as a standard machine..

Yeah true, you would've thought so, but I think I'm right by saying the Colordmd only support wpc/wpc95 at this time.

This one pulls from dmd & just matches the shades so could be used with any with lack of colors?

Slightly different system because of the patent pending issues, I'm presuming....

Can anyone explain to me why the colorDMd only support WPC tho ? I mean, if it matches dots frame by frame, and the replaces them with it's own, why cannot it be used on any system? I mean - it doesnt patch into the ROM, it's the dots only from the o/p to the DMD - which since it;s the same DMD, must be the same "format"...

"The ColorDMD contains a proprietary engine for recognizing game-generated video frames and adding color to enhance the dots as they are generated and sent to the display. Color data is stored on the ColorDMD controller board and used to colorize the video frames in real-time. The original dot intensities are unmodified to preserve the artist's original intent. The effect is similar to viewing the original dots through a colored filter. A patent is pending on the technology used to create the ColorDMD."

Nothing to do with the Rom, or the machine type...

Anyhow, this is de-railing @DrPinball 's Thread - Sorry Fella :(

My understanding is colour dmd take a games animation and colour in each dot. So a martian is green and a laser beam is red etc. This painstaking process of hundreds of frames have to be re drawn.
Daves dmd extender just takes the provided animation and adds shades of colours of which the user can choose​

[QUOTE="Anyhow, this is de-railing @DrPinball 's Thread - Sorry Fella :([/QUOTE]

:rolleyes: Don't worry!

But to answer your question... any machine can be colourised by ColorDMD - once they've sampled the screen data the algorithms to match are the same or similar (Stern has 16 colours so more data needed in the matching part). I suspect they're doing BW games because they're more common and they have an agreement to do these games (apparently colorising game DMD frames has a copyright issue!).

I wish yours did it!! Would save a whole load of hassle!! It'll never get Done - There were only 400 ever made, and suspected less than 300 still in existance :( :( :(

Anyhow, this is de-railing @@DrPinball 's Thread - Sorry Fella :(

Nah , relevant for future customers and interesting imo ;)

It'll never get Done

I have an idea, lol. I'll help you color frames and I'll re-write original rules for p-roc. I'll take one DE Robocop pinball as payment :)

£500 - £750 Robocop
£193 - P-roc
£30 - X amount - Mini-LCD

Edit:

+ PSU $140
+ CPU £20 - X

Quite a bit for a full color job, compared to the £200 for this kit. :0

Last edited:
DrPinball can ship one out to let you try it then :)

I can always write you a review on my site.

I can also put them on my site if you need an outlet. 450 unique visits a day:)

I like to support UK based Innovative products.

How easy is it to install a DMD extender onto the apron?
Very interested in one of these.

How easy is it to install a DMD extender onto the apron?
Very interested in one of these.
Dead easy, they come with full instructions.
I have one on my Addams and we have one on each of the NBA Fastbreaks we use for the Northern Lights NBA competition.
Plus if you have any questions or queries Dave will answer any you might have.

Ok well i mailed the guys over in the USA who said...
I’m familiar with Jolly Park. A couple of collectors in Southern California have them.....

Given the limited run, Jolly Park would be difficult to take on right now (even in a support role) but could be something for the future.

Back to the drawing board....

I may have to stump up and grab this and see if i can work some kind of magic with the support of Dr Pinball ;)

Pahh yeh - Cant afford it at the moment - Unfortunately it'll have to join the queue :(

Back
Top Bottom