What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expired LCD-DMD

Expired Due to no activity

DrPinball

Registered
Hi

I've just put together my complete LCD-DMD product - this is a full plasma replacement using DMD Extender technology. For £180 plus delivery you can replace the screen in your pinball and choose a palette of dot colours that will make your game stand out.

20140530_193854.jpg 20140530_194547.jpg

I've updated the web site at www.drpinball.co.uk - have a look and let me know if you're interested.

New software for the Extender makes it even easier to configure the colours - the software now records 1 minute of dots which can be replayed on your PC whilst choosing your colours.

Cheers

David.

Great news David, I'll be sure to give your product a try next time I need a DMD.

Edit, sod it, I'm going to try one! :)

Last edited:
Are you taking some to the Pinball Party to display and sell. Was tempted to buy a colour DMD for a Stern Tron but would buy one of these if they offered the same features.
Someone is currently working on the display interacting with the ramp rope lights. There is currently a mod which interacts the display colour with the speaker light kits.

Are you taking some to the Pinball Party to display and sell. Was tempted to buy a colour DMD for a Stern Tron but would buy one of these if they offered the same features.
Someone is currently working on the display interacting with the ramp rope lights. There is currently a mod which interacts the display colour with the speaker light kits.
Unfortunately I can't make it to the Party this year, but I'm hoping to have a display at NLP in October.

I briefly saw a video about the screen / lights interaction - is it just a set of LEDs mounted around the screen that change colour?

I have Dave's product in a few of my machines and am going for another one next week.
Can't praise them enough, this product is a great piece of kit and at a cracking price.

I stuck one in an ACDC last week, not played it since mind, but it does look good (probably awesome once I actually play the damn thing and fiddle with colours). I know that David stands firmly behind his product as well

Unfortunately I can't make it to the Party this year, but I'm hoping to have a display at NLP in October.

I briefly saw a video about the screen / lights interaction - is it just a set of LEDs mounted around the screen that change colour?

Yes the speaker lights are just LED strips off a controller. However they have a kit to connect it to the colour DMD. Therefore whatever colour the display is the speaker kit will be the same colour. Someone has also done this for the Tron Eli ramp kit. Hoping there will be a kit for the LE as well.

Will be buying one of your kits in the next month or so once I have sold a few other bits.

I have Dave's product in a few of my machines and am going for another one next week.
Can't praise them enough, this product is a great piece of kit and at a cracking price.

Which machines have you fitted them to?

Just ordered one for my spiderman. :)

WTF???? 2 ACDC next to each other?

Sorry sidetracking from the original. These LCD DMD kits that Dave makes are indeed very nice. I have seen a few of his prototype models and I have quite got used to the white display on Daz's Spiderman now.

I'm not a fan of the LED DMD's as they are never lined up properly and can look a bit odd, so these LCD kits offer a nice alternative which is configurable.

That looks cool, Nik but now I'm confused! I thought the Dr Pinball DMD only did one colour screen like a colour dmd but in one colour mode but looks like the colour dmd with the specific game rom. So does it come ready done or do you have to program each picture?

Cheers
Greg

That looks cool, Nik but now I'm confused! I thought the Dr Pinball DMD only did one colour screen like a colour dmd but in one colour mode but looks like the colour dmd with the specific game rom. So does it come ready done or do you have to program each picture?

Cheers
Greg
It does 16 colours (I'm sure David will chip in). You CAN set it to one colour but you have the option to choose between 2 colours, (from what I understand) the software then shades in the 14 colours in between until they meet in the middle.

David suggested you should generally pick white as one colour and then the text is white.

It is possible to colour each frame individually but David wont do it due to legal threats from Colordmd - they obviously feel threatened that someone has the wherewithal to charge a sensible price for these screens and make a profit rather than a killing.

If I get time, I'll play with the colours and do some vids - but my pinball time is pretty limited at the moment due to work stuff.

The colour of the dots seen in the pictures above is a user defined palette applied equally to all frames - you get to choose the palette, and to help, the latest software has a new colour blend 'Auto Gen' feature. Stern SAM games have 16 shades as opposed to most other games that use only 4. The Extender software allows selection of colours for all shades so on Sterns the effect is quite dramatic compared to Bally/Williams, for example.

It is possible to colour each frame individually but David wont do it due to legal threats from Colordmd

They've patented coloring frames on the fly? Don't get it.

If this does do 16 colors & works with newer sterns , what's to stop you modding the rom with colored frames with the pinball browser app.

This is a screenshot of the colour selection I chose for mufcmufc's AC/DC...
ACDCColours.jpg

I chose yellow for Colour 16 - 100% brightness, and Dark Red for Colour 2 - lowest brightness, then selected 'Auto Generate 2' which created a blend between those 2 colours. I then set Colour 16 to White. This means all of the text is in clear white with the animations showing mainly yellow to red colours. It's really easy to do, and now the software includes a preview feature so you can see the effects of your colour choices from within the windows application - a small window replays 1 minute of DMD action from your game and lets you you replay on the PC screen.

Looks good David, looking forward to messing around with it. Is the software evolving? I mean do you have further plans for it?

Looks good David, looking forward to messing around with it. Is the software evolving? I mean do you have further plans for it?
The latest updates took quite a while to complete so I'm having a rest for a bit and concentrating on building the LCD-DMD. I do want to add an upscale feature but that's a few months off.

Video of the configuration utility in action showing the preview feature and the effect of selecting colours...

That looks fantastic and very appealing. Thanks Nik and David for the explanations. Think might have to give one of the Stern ones a go. Does this new software work on B/W as well as Stern albeit B/W don't have the same number of shades?

Cheers
Greg

That looks fantastic and very appealing. Thanks Nik and David for the explanations. Think might have to give one of the Stern ones a go. Does this new software work on B/W as well as Stern albeit B/W don't have the same number of shades?

Cheers
Greg

Yep, this is the latest version just released - preview works with any game that's supported by DMD Extender.

Back
Top Bottom