What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Labyrinth, from Barrels of fun!

Yeah, it's not *really* a kids' film. I think you need to be a teenage girl (ideally one into David Bowie) to fully appreciate it. I'm personally not into David Bowie, but I liked it as a teenager because it has this vibe of being a film about "being a straight teenage girl who abruptly puts aside childish things when a dark, dangerous and slightly edgy older guy takes an interest in her"... 😈

Yeah that's what I mean by cringy, he's too old. I remember my sister lapping this one up as well as Grease / Dirty Dancing.

Yeah that's what I mean by cringy, he's too old. I remember my sister lapping this one up as well as Grease / Dirty Dancing.
Yeah, but he’s the villain. If he had age-appropriate interest in Sarah, he wouldn’t be as villainous, would he?

He manages villainy at multiple levels:
Kidnapping a baby​
Kidnapping a baby to turn him into a goblin​
Kidnapping a baby to turn him into a goblin as a way of attracting the attention of his underage/too-young crush​
Kidnapping a baby to turn him into a goblin as a way of attracting the attention of his underage/too-young crush who he then subjects to a weird, creepy maze, including - at one point - drugging her and trying to trap her in a dream ball. This being a maze he intends her to fail under (unfair) time pressure, so the transformation of the baby WILL FEEL ENTIRELY HER FAULT.​

It’s a work of genius in terms of establishing total villainy on the part of the villain…

Last edited:
Yeah, but he’s the villain. If he had age-appropriate interest in Sarah, he wouldn’t be as villainous, would he?

Child catchers are villains at any age. He's going after a baby and a teenager in this one. Creepy, cringy and if you know Bowie then it's more cringe.

Black star (Saturn) (Also see Elvis) and was bang into the Kabbalah (which he claims to regret).

1697132434317.png

Child catchers are villains at any age. He's going after a baby and a teenager in this one. Creepy, cringy and if you know Bowie then it's more cringe.

Yeah, but - to be fair to the film - he wants to change the child into a goblin and it’s implied (I suppose) that all the goblins were children once, and that’s how goblins make new goblins. It feels fae-mythology inspired and the Jareth character comes across like a elder faerie (or similar) from a contemporary fantasy book.

I mean, taking a child from his family to turn him into a fae is pretty villainous, but it’s not creepy per se. The fact that fae tend to be immortal makes Jareth’s interest in Sarah creepy though for the same reason as Twilight (the novels/films) are creepy. Edward is WAYYYY too old to be interested in a high schooler.

Likewise, one would assume there are female fae somewhere in the Labyrinth universe, who would make a more appropriate match (or maybe not, given goblins apparently need to kidnap human baby boys). I am thinking *way* too much about this now… right.

I am thinking *way* too much about this now… right.

😂 You're fresh from watching it again though, going deep. There's enough for an interesting game.

Likewise, one would assume there are female fae somewhere in the Labyrinth universe

Yeah I don't think so the universe maybe vast and endless but only life goes on here.

Saturn's not that far and that's one place you want to be looking for any kind of spirit / fairy / demi-god which I don't recommend as that needs a ritual, black robes and lead metal.

Be cool if Danny John-Jules gets a voice in it, but it was a pretty small part, so probably movie sound bites.

Personally love the film, along with the Dark crystal but that's my love for Brian Froud!

Yeah it'll be sometime tonight, just wondering if it'll be on their facebook or somewhere else?

The art, toys and callouts remind me of the pinballfx2 table Epic Quest 😄

When I first saw this I thought it was a reskin of Oktoberfest.
Looks really good. 10k usd single edition according to Cary Hardy.

Can't wait to see a play through.

Back
Top Bottom