What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Holy node board Batman, and ghostbusters and Aerosmith and Star Wars

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
Superb. There was a clear issue with these node boards. Loads of stories of them giving out. Glad there's now a fix that doesn't cost hundreds

Nice spot

@philpalmer - Are these kits available from Stern Via you?? Or do we all need to apply to Stern for them???

Cheers
Paul

Diode D9 on mine is a small surface mount component, doesn't look like the one in the photos at all ( the one in the photos looks more like a transistor?, I guess it's a different type of diode ) so I guess mine is ok. I don't have the capacitor from the 2nd service bulletin though.

20171127_143618.jpg Untitled.jpg

Have had a node board 9 fail on my ghostbuster pro, and was wondering if the recent shaker motor I fitted might have had something to do with it, I say this because the motor feels quite violent, but most of all is triggered on numerous switches, now with the release of this bulletin pointing to vibration as a killer of the node, may be my thinking was correct, it don’t bode well for the future

Will have to get mine checked at the weekend unless anyone knows if the Star Wars that came in on the original delivery are OK.

Is the spacer plastic or foam/rubbber? Looks like it should be easy enough to make yourself. Not actually checked my Aerosmith yet to see if it's needed.

Just checked my Aerosmith and need a spacer for each of the two node boards. Is the Capacitor Service Kit only needed if you are having false switch activations, or is it to prevent long term damage?

20171202_104003.jpg

Made the spacer out of some stiff foam. I always keep some spare that usually comes with small electronics etc. Always comes in handy. Be extremely careful when you fit this as you can end up doing more halm than good by inadvertently bending the diode leads. Also recommend bending your cable tie before you fit it. It is very fiddly unless you take the board off.

20171202_115316.jpg
20171202_114608.jpg

I’ve got 2 boards on GBLE & 2 boards on SWLE that need spacer kits.

Both of the diadems are leaning towards the right, to put the spacer in I will need to bend them back straight.
What’s the best way to do this?... carefully I know that, will bending them back break the solder?

I thought the same, the first one was parallel to the one next to it and I've done a neat job with that one. The other one is crooked and I was sure I'd snapped the lead due to how bent it was. Powered it up and it seems fine but thought that by trying to prevent the issue occuring, I'd actually caused it! Fingers crossed I haven't done any damage.

Yes those tabs are where they get warm. If they are in an installation where they get really hot they are usually bolted to a heatsink, or other metalwork. In this situation they aren't, so may be OK

Back
Top Bottom