What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hertz Dumping Electric Cars, Buying Petrol - Daily Telegraph

it was possibly the worst car I’ve ever driven, a hateful thing. If that was the first EV I’d driven I’d likely never wanting to drive another! So, in the same way as ICE they’re not all the same!
Out of interest, what was the EV you hated and which EV do you have/recommend?

I have 1 EV and 2 ICE cars, I’d typically walk past the ICE’s to get to the EV to drive. And on a longer journey the EV is the one I would alway choose for preference!

One of my ICE cars had its annual service last year, not so much major wrong with it (fortunately!) and the final bill…… just over £9K 😳

My EV is now at 120K miles, I haven’t noticed and reduction in range, it still has another 2 years manufacturers warranty on the battery and drive, yes I would say depreciation does look heavy, but as people have said earlier it comes with a lot of financial incentives that outweigh the said depreciation.

That guy in the YT video above is hilarious, had it for ~ 2 - 2 1/2 years paying £1.2K/month and still has over 60K on finance 😂 I’ve listened to what he said and don’t think I could ever take any of his recommendations seriously, he’s clearly a dick!

On the EV front, mine was in for repair after someone scuffed it, I had a different EV as a loan car, it was possibly the worst car I’ve ever driven, a hateful thing. If that was the first EV I’d driven I’d likely never wanting to drive another! So, in the same way as ICE they’re not all the same!
9k for a standard service !
It’s not a Porsche by any chance is it !

Or Aston Martin based on a friends experience. Service plans can reduce £9k to still a horrible £2.5k

Out of interest, what was the EV you hated and which EV do you have/recommend?

I have a Tesla model S long range, where they could be improved is the auto wipers and when you indicate the rear view representation on the dashboard shows the indicator red not amber.

The hire car I didn’t like was an Audi Etron of some sort, don’t know which one but smallish SUV style thing.

My goodness more Tesla's issues in the news.

This one went into the water, sunk as cars in water often do, and is then seen being pulled out of the water. It didn't explode and is probably largely ruined. But no apparent runaway lithium battery issues.
I really don't want a Tesla, as it looks like they are all cursed. Or just more reported on than other cars.

My goodness more Tesla's issues in the news.

This one went into the water, sunk as cars in water often do, and is then seen being pulled out of the water. It didn't explode and is probably largely ruined. But no apparent runaway lithium battery issues.
I really don't want a Tesla, as it looks like they are all cursed. Or just more reported on than other cars.
Hang on - so the remarkable thing here isn't A FLOATING SAUNA?

Now river authorities have to buy floating saunas to rescue Tesla drivers. And I bet we all end up paying higher premiums.

The awful attention grabbing 'LoOk aT Me!!!!!' thumnbail makes me not want to click the video more than anything.

Biased media.

Biased police

"This is following the use of tactics to stop an electric vehicle with an electric fault where the driver was unable to brake. Motorway officers from Merseyside, Cheshire and GMP brought the vehicle to a safe stop."

Regarding the above story hasn’t the guy just been arrested? Presumably for making it all up 😂

Ahhh, I see. So you believe other peoples videos overs his. He must be wrong then. That makes sense. :rofl:
It’s perfectly reasonable to discriminate between views based on qualifications and experience in the subject matter.

We may disagree on which views carry most weight but in my experience click baity headlines don’t always carry the most considered messages!

That guy's a complete cock womble, I wouldnt listen to a single word he says, his videos have even been myth busted on other channels showing that he makes things up to suit his own viewpoint.

Ahhh, I see. So you believe other peoples videos overs his. He must be wrong then. That makes sense. :rofl:

Well, going on nothing but my own observations, reading some official stats and independent road tests etc.. I'd say the following:

1. The guy in the video is actually very annoying - it's remarkable the number of times he says that he'll go through the figures at some point later in the video, then continues to ramble on about how "worthless" his Taycan is, but provide no hard information basically leads to a 25 minute video with maybe 2 minutes of actual content, which even then is useless.

2. He moans about how little the car is worth based on We Buy Any Car, and Motorway quotes. Yet he also seems to avoid giving any specific hard information about what those quotes actually were. WBAC and Motorway would be about the lowest valuation one could get for any car in any case, yet he still doesn't share the figures.

3. He moans that a local Porsche dealer (un-named) declined to take his Taycan in part exchange for "a nice 911" he wanted. No information on the spec or any details on what 911, despite mentioning "a 911" many times. He also mentions the sales guy at the specific Porsche dealer was aware of his videos. Maybe if he didn't keep making complaining/moany videos about his electric Porsche, the sales guy might have been more accommodating, rather than basically telling him to go away (and probably avoiding future moany videos about the dealer concerned)?

4. He claims to have "spent" £120k on his Taycan, yet wants to get rid of it, and "needs" to do a trade-in deal as he doesn't have £20k available to cover the outstanding finance to enable him to sell it privately. Clearly hasn't heard of short term loans or thought about any other ways around this. His take on this, and the fact that the Porsche dealer won't offer him a trade-in equated to the car being worthless. WBAC and Motorway would sort this issue, and despite offering what one would assume to be a low price, this will not be "worthless", but that doesn't fit with his narrative.

5. He talks about being worried about a £45k cost to replace the battery should a fault develop in his car, yet conveniently omits to mention that these come with an 8 year guarantee, so not at all relevant to his situation.

6. He's moaning about the drop in value of his electric car, as he spent a lot of money on it and it's not worth anywhere near that after a year or two. This situation he lays at the door of it being an electric car, yet seems to completely ignore the fact that if you buy any new car for £100k+ (or any amount to be fair), the moment you drive it out of the dealers, you've effectively thrown thousands away in depreciation.

7. To top it off, he also moans about having to previously spend 50p in cash to use the toilet at a service station and being "forced" to buy an over-priced coffee to get change, all whilst making a specific journey to a motorway service station to get a coffee and film it all as some pretext for making this video.

Based on the above, I'd agree with the assessment of @Fantazia2 as highlighted above.

I'm not a fan of battery electric cars, don't agree that they are particularly environmentally friendly, and will avoid buying one for as long as possible - hopefully long enough for them to be phased out to be replaced by hydrogen fuelled/fuel cell cars (which Toyota and now BMW have indicated as what they see as the way forward), BUT, the above video is (in my opinion) absolute clickbait rubbish.

Apologies for the long post, but I was bored, and it was something to do whilst listening to the NASA Spaceflight live stream building up to the potential 3rd test launch of Starship, which has been delayed but the countdown is going ahead, and it's now fuelled up. This is a far more interesting watch, and here's hoping the test flight goes well for SpaceX.
Link here.

8. He starts an ultra fast DC charge when his battery is 78% full and probably has 180 mile range . This is the quickest way to ruin a battery and also takes a long time to squeeze the last 20% into a battery. EV ownership 101 is to never charge beyond 80% on a DC charger - I wouldn't want to buy his car from him as it will have battery problems later. It surprises me how many EV owners sit on the ultra fast DC chargers beyond 80% wasting their time and ruining their battery.

9. He chooses to charge at the motorway service station paying Gridserve 79p per unit when he doesn;t even need the charge whereas he can charge at home overnight for 8p per unit on the right tariff. But not charging would give him one less thing to complain about.

Definite cock womble.

Well at least you've watched it.

He moans about how little the car is worth based on We Buy Any Car, and Motorway quotes.

I've got lunch with the owner of 'Motorway' next Friday so I will be sure to ask him.

Seen a couple of that guys videos in the past, can't say I warmed to him, being a car guy he should have been well aware of the limitations of EV and the huge depreciation of any luxury 4door, EV or otherwise, yet brought one anyway and then acts shocked.

The end of ICE shouldn't be mandated by the government, manufacturers should be challenged to make EVs a compelling and better value alternative, rather than the only option.

In two minds, would quite like an older Leaf or something for hassle free daily driving but EVs seem to make most sense combined with with solar/battery at home, but that's a huge investment compared to spending a tenner a week on petrol..... sod it, old banger and more pinballs for now.

For that getting a valuation from WeBuyAnyCar he seems to do it several times for each video his videos and is constantly doing it, If I was running a website making offers for car based on reg number and someone was putting their Reg in over and over, they would look desparate to sell to me and I would have the system programmed to lower the offer every time.

I watched some of his first video posted here, I had to stop when I lost the will to live! IMO he seems a bit of a d1ck!

It’s not just EV’s that are devaluing, one of my customers has a Range Rover SVR, he’s in the same boat at this guy with the Taycan, the dealer wants over 20+K to ‘take it back’ 😳

My opinion is it just people feeling the pinch.

Back
Top Bottom