What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hertz Dumping Electric Cars, Buying Petrol - Daily Telegraph

You did well to only have a 20% hike in insurance this year. Our motor insurance doubled. Shopping around didn’t help it was miles cheaper than the nearest rival 😢

The house insurance went up by over 50%. (I think)

Inflation for parts and wage inflation played a big part in the hikes. (As well as good old profiteering).
My bro and his girlfriend have a Tesla each in London (ish Bucks) and he phoned me going mental over the insurance increase, saying that my dad in London (W3) was also going mad with the increase on his petrol car. I have 4 cars here (1 a Prius) and they only went up a very small amount so must be an area thing as well.

I know what flat earth is fella.

So the BBC is flat earthist and eco denialist?

Do you mean denialist to both or that the BBC is flat earthist and then eco denialist?

The insurance premiums on my Jag i-pace EV are shocking:

2019: £1,219 (brand new)
2020: £1,115 (1 year old)
2021: £994 (2 years old)
2022: £1,048 (brand new)
2023: £1,201 (1 year old)

There is so much misinformation bandied around about EVs including a good chunk of what is in this thread (I just randomly picked the insurance example to demonstrate but could have chosen others). ICE cars are getting hikes for other reasons; not to subsidise EV drivers.

And "EV" does not equal "Tesla" - there are plenty of other brands on the road today.

It's simple - if you don't like EVs you don't have to drive one or buy one. It's a personal choice. For me, the daily driver will now always be full EV; For that purpose I wouldn't now take the backward step to ICE. And that's from a petrolhead with 3 ICE classics; two rotaries and a 5.3L V12.

It's a shame that the internet has turned into 99% shopping/opinion/misinformation and only 1% fact which you now have to search hard for.
I’m now paying 2k a year for insurance after buying a Range Rover (gf wanted it, I was happy with my merc) :( feel like I’m 18 again paying that rate!!!!!!!!

I did recently get 3 points and gf only provisional license which doesn’t help and really bumps it.

@russdx1

Apologies if you already know, but the range rover issue might be the key cloning that is going on in big cities ....

@russdx1

Apologies if you already know, but the range rover issue might be the key cloning that is going on in big cities ....

Nah it's not that, otherwise it would go against all you posted on the first page 😜

Genuinely waiting to understand your flat earthist angle too 🍿

My sons regularly get quotes for car insurance on high performance and high insurance cars working out what they can afford to drive. Sometimes they get an exact same quote to reduce from about £2k to £1k just by changing the email address. There is no other explanation for that other than they are ripping you off .
We are in the phase of capitalism in this country where most competition is an illusion and there's very little regulation to try and stop people being ripped off.

@russdx1

I know if this, apparently there is a firmware update to stop it (dealership said) Iv got insurance/gap so if it’s not outside my house one day I’ll go back to Mercedes and get a nice GLE.

Insurance is a total con and changing random things will wildly change the price, apparently getting a quote 2 months before renewal can half it as well. When you got a bit more time I’m gonna really play with the comparison sites and tweak all the details to see what comes out cheapest.

I know if this, apparently there is a firmware update to stop it (dealership said) Iv got insurance/gap so if it’s not outside my house one day I’ll go back to Mercedes and get a nice GLE.

Insurance is a total con and changing random things will wildly change the price, apparently getting a quote 2 months before renewal can half it as well. When you got a bit more time I’m gonna really play with the comparison sites and tweak all the details to see what comes out cheapest.
I did this a few years ago and found:

Yep 1 to 2 months before renewal
Say you have the car
Fully Comp (I found 3rd party and 3FF double the price!)
Add a second female driver that isn't young, Mrs or your Mum
Keep the car on the drive, not in your garage.

I'm sure there's some more but that was my sweet spot.

I did this a few years ago and found:

Yep 1 to 2 months before renewal
Say you have the car
Fully Comp (I found 3rd party and 3FF double the price!)
Add a second female driver that isn't young, Mrs or your Mum
Keep the car on the drive, not in your garage.

I'm sure there's some more but that was my sweet spot.
Can you swap insurance but just put the start date in 2 months time to get the cheaper price?

My partner being provisional really bumps it sadly but nothing I can do about that. Hopefully she passes soon :)

My son added me and the Mrs as named drivers when he got his first car insurance policy when he just passed his test at 17. This small change reduced the premium by a third. That was 5 years ago and we remain named drivers despite hardly ever driving his car.

@Alpha1 I'm surprised you are so interested.

BBC flat earthist is an oxymoron. I can't really imagine a BBC journo looking into camera 3, smiling, and confidently asserting "the earth is flat'.

Flat earthist is commonly employed as a denialist type insult to those who hold the wrong opinions. Questioning EVs seems to be wrongthink these days.

I threw in an oxmoron to add colour to dry prose. Like I threw in an image of the most famous hydrogen explosion in history. EVs don't actually fly !!

EV car insurance prices haven't literally "gone turbo" !! But used EV prices have hit the skids.

For those who don't trust the Telegraph, Mail, Sun, Car Press, Used Car Dealers, Foreign Press, Trade Magazines, Talk TV, GB News, popular youtube platforms like Hoovies Garage and Geoff Buys Cars, the massive discounts offered by EV dealers, Autotrader used prices, etc etc - maybe the BBC, Independent, Guardian etc offer more comfortable sources of information.

Good news is if you want to buy an electric car, there are plenty of sellers.

@Alpha1 I'm surprised you are so interested.

BBC flat earthist is an oxymoron. I can't really imagine a BBC journo looking into camera 3, smiling, and confidently asserting "the earth is flat'.

Flat earthist is commonly employed as a denialist type insult to those who hold the wrong opinions. Questioning EVs seems to be wrongthink these days.

I threw in an oxmoron to add colour to dry prose. Like I threw in an image of the most famous hydrogen explosion in history. EVs don't actually fly !!

EV car insurance prices haven't literally "gone turbo" !! But used EV prices have hit the skids.

For those who don't trust the Telegraph, Mail, Sun, Car Press, Used Car Dealers, Foreign Press, Trade Magazines, Talk TV, GB News, popular youtube platforms like Hoovies Garage and Geoff Buys Cars, the massive discounts offered by EV dealers, Autotrader used prices, etc etc - maybe the BBC, Independent, Guardian etc offer more comfortable sources of information.

Good news is if you want to buy an electric car, there are plenty of sellers.

Questioning EVs is fine, but sitting in your own echo chamber feeding yourself more of the same confirmation bias isn't.

The fact is the future will be many different forms of technology and ICE will eventually go the way of the dodo. It's only a matter of time, more efficient technologies will take over. It is absolutely, unequivocally, beyond obvious.

Take Hoovies Garage as an example. He did a story where he had an electric Ford F150 but gave up with it because it was worse at the key things he needed a truck to do, like tow all the vehicles he buys and actually move some miles before it runs out of battery. And the electric version had no redeemable features as it was not better than an IC F150 in every other department other than maybe cheaper to run. He made a good video talking about it. The F150 appears to be a bad attempt by Ford to reduce the overall CO2 by claiming they have an electric version but haven't engineered it from the ground up to work that way. I can share stories about the advent of IC's and how Benz built the first motorcar rather than try to power a horse cart with an IC like others were doing. Bad car doesn't mean bad pricinple, as other EV's have shown.

But other journalists picked up on Hoovie's story and reposted the youtube link using it in stories to criticise EV's as being worse than IC's. This is bad journalism as it isn't giving a balanced view, but finding something to prove a point and ignoring something that would balance the argument.
Hoovie posted 10 days ago that he had bought a Rivian and is down for two Tesla Cyber Trucks, he is not anti-EV, he just didn't believe that the F150 electric made any sense. But the Rivian appears to and I await any update he says about how the Rivian performs as it is a vehicle I would be interested in, should there ever be a second hand market in the UK.

There is another channel, BoostedBoiz who are all about making cheap run arounds faster. Most of their garage is petrol or diesel. They bought a damaged Tesla Plaid, removed all the unnecessary panels, added in a light race driver and had it do a 9 second quarter mile with no tweaks to the EV system, just weight saving. OK, it now resembles a go-kart and must be horrible to drive but it shows that even the tuners are seeing the benefits from EV's.
For me, as a speed nut, who would be called a petrol head, this is an exciting time for where my passion for speed can go.

Take Hoovies Garage as an example. He did a story where he had an electric Ford F150 but gave up with it because it was worse at the key things he needed a truck to do, like tow all the vehicles he buys and actually move some miles before it runs out of battery. And the electric version had no redeemable features as it was not better than an IC F150 in every other department other than maybe cheaper to run. He made a good video talking about it. The F150 appears to be a bad attempt by Ford to reduce the overall CO2 by claiming they have an electric version but haven't engineered it from the ground up to work that way. I can share stories about the advent of IC's and how Benz built the first motorcar rather than try to power a horse cart with an IC like others were doing. Bad car doesn't mean bad pricinple, as other EV's have shown.

But other journalists picked up on Hoovie's story and reposted the youtube link using it in stories to criticise EV's as being worse than IC's. This is bad journalism as it isn't giving a balanced view, but finding something to prove a point and ignoring something that would balance the argument.
Hoovie posted 10 days ago that he had bought a Rivian and is down for two Tesla Cyber Trucks, he is not anti-EV, he just didn't believe that the F150 electric made any sense. But the Rivian appears to and I await any update he says about how the Rivian performs as it is a vehicle I would be interested in, should there ever be a second hand market in the UK.

There is another channel, BoostedBoiz who are all about making cheap run arounds faster. Most of their garage is petrol or diesel. They bought a damaged Tesla Plaid, removed all the unnecessary panels, added in a light race driver and had it do a 9 second quarter mile with no tweaks to the EV system, just weight saving. OK, it now resembles a go-kart and must be horrible to drive but it shows that even the tuners are seeing the benefits from EV's.
For me, as a speed nut, who would be called a petrol head, this is an exciting time for where my passion for speed can go.
The boostedboiz tesla has now been body swapped to a Honda Odyssey people carrier, still doing 9's in the 1/4 mile I think.

I watched that BoostedBoiz YouTube video too!

This is doing the rounds on social media but I don’t know how true it is. But according to it, EV’s are worse for the environment.

This is a Tesla battery. To manufacture it you need:
12 tonnes of rock for Lithium
5 tons of Cobalt minerals
3 tons of mineral for nickel
12 tons of copper ore

Move 250 tons of soil to obtain:
12 kg of Lithium
30 pounds of nickels
22 kg of manganese
15 pounds of Cobalt
100 Kg of rams
200 kg of aluminum, steel and plastic.

The Caterpillar 994A used for earthmoving consumes 1000 liters of diesel in 12 hours.

Finally you get a “zero emissions” car.

Biggest money making scam in history!

1706033775061.png

It's well known that they're worse for the environment. It was never about the environment.

*cough*

All of us can post articles which support our view but they still need the biases to be reviewed and understood for us to learn from them.
New technology has always been criticised and some folks have an agenda to convince others that new isn't a good idea. Whilst the media has a job to make money out of us being interested in their stories, so they feed the bias.
For the record, I do not have an EV. I do enjoy my IC cars and motorcycles, my digger, my chainsaw, and many other things I have which are IC's. But the arguments against EV's having a valid place feels like an extreme bias that is fueling misinformation and I don't understand why folks argue wholy against EV's being good for many purposes.

Here is a quick list of the arguments I have seen against EV's that are put in the press and shared at the moment, and what I have seen as a balance to them.
  1. Range anxiety: When Bertha Benz stole the prototype of the first true road car and drove it to her parents house, she had range anxiety because there were no petrol stations. Humanity got over that and those who don't need to do long distances can happily have an EV and that is fine for almost everything they need to do.
  2. Vehicle fires: Happen all the time but the reporting of them for EV's is disproportional. There are the rumours that the fire brigade won't put them out, or can't. Petrol and diesel cars catch fire all the time, fire brigades learn to put new fires out. Vehicle manufacturers learn and get regulated to control fires better. But the stories focus on the EV ones because they are novel.
  3. Higher costs: Maybe to repair on some bits but it balances out as there are less serviceable costs as no IC which has metal on metal and heat and needs oil and liquids changing. Costs to repair come down as more feel comfortable working with them. Let's come back to batteries later.
  4. Vehicle depreciation: Usually argued that expensive components need replacing after 10-15 years. Yep, that is like a lot of new vehicles, but batteries will be replaceable and that industry is ramping up. Technology is changing rapidly and so is recycling of the materials from the olds one.s
  5. They are not as environmentally friendly as they claim: Usually about the methods to get the raw materials such as lithium and the costs to replace them. Again, this is a changing market and now recycling of the batteries to get the previous metals back are growing and far outweigh IC. And few figures show that environmental cost of moving oil and refining it, which you then have to burn in an IC.
  6. They pollute nearly as much: Usually some arguemnet that EV's weigh more and brake dust is a big issue. Regeneration in an EV's mean many use less brakes so give off less polutants, and service costs.
  7. Heavier weight so roads will be destroyed quicker, potholes etc: EV's have driven weight reduction as they are more efficent in a light vehicle, but some are heavy that is often about the body shape as much as the batteries. SUV's are large vehicles and most of the largest vehicles in this category are IC, but the focus was on EV causing more road wear.
  8. The technology is redundant and better tech will come: Sure, but that doesn't mean everyone has to stick with a technology that is 140 years old. IC are not efficient enough, we need to try other things.

Talking about extreme bias and misinformation .....

My retired neighbour has a dead Jag iPace sat outside her house at the mo. It belongs to her daughter. The car waited 4 months for parts. Post the repair, it won't charge.

My neighbour normally helps with my community cinema but couldn't this weekend as she had to make a 4h round trip to take her daughter home in a 10yr plus ICE car.

A real world example about how these electric cars impose costs on everyone else.

"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

20240118_060058.jpg

This was last week and it's still relaxing there now.

So ICE cars don’t break down?

As an argument that’s pretty much scrapping the bottom of the barrel. Within 100 meters each side of my house there are 4 cars and two motorbikes that haven’t moved for years.

It's not an argument. It's a photo of the dead EV outside my window and a description of why it's there and the problems the family has been having.

Folk raise concerns about the bi turbo 2 litre vw diesel engine that is in my california campervan. And with very good reason.

If someone had warned me about the decomposing gas cooler and the tendency to shower the pistons with unfiltered aluminium dust- I'd have avoided that model.

But noone did warn me so I am stuck with it. And buyers are rightly wary of buying vehicles with original engines.

Though in 12 years it has never broken down, had zero engine work and still managed 77k miles with this defect.

A real world example about how these electric cars impose costs on everyone else.
It's not an argument. It's a photo of the dead EV outside my window and a description of why it's there and the problems the family has been having.

You made a loaded comment and then say you are not attempting to say anything. What is going on?
You could have said "A real world example about how these modern Jaguar Land Rovers impose misery on everyone else", but you highlight the electric bit.

All cars have an auxiliary battery, which goes flat when they sit doing nothing, this isn't new. As an IC won't start when it is flat, an EV's can't charge but you can jump start the charge with another 12V battery like you can an IC. Do you know if your neighbour has tried that?

My best mate bought a VW electric car and loves it ,he has had for just over a year unfortunately it had to go in for a standard System update and it highlighted issues with the batteries ,which meant it was unsafe to drive ,it’s been in the garage now for 3 months and no signs of being repaired as the main dealership cannot get the parts ☹️

Back
Top Bottom