What's new

Football Cancelled 🤬

Stags6969

Registered
Alias
Bilbo Stag
I'll start by saying I love the Queen and have the greatest respect for what she has done for the country, but when her own guidance for mourning states no sporting events have to be cancelled, even on the day of the funeral, then why have the EFL and PL decided to wreak havoc on thousands of peoples plans this weekend?

I'll start by saying I love the Queen and have the greatest respect for what she has done for the country, but when her own guidance for mourning states no sporting events have to be cancelled, even on the day of the funeral, then why have the EFL and PL decided to wreak havoc on thousands of peoples plans this weekend?
Probably because some Minister(s) actually pressured them to do so, despite the Cabinet Office's official guidance - this is exactly the sort of backwards archaic nonsense Rees-Mogg would get himself involved in, for example. For me it's just an irritation as I'd have only watched it on TV, but I pity travelling fans who already have sunk costs in travel/accommodation to attend away games.

I have the appropriate respect for an elderly person passing away, however I'm gutted all the footy is off - was looking forward all week to watching a match on Sunday (at home - people with match tickets who've booked travel/hotels/days put etc and local businesses must be well p'd off)

Only positive to take from it is, will give some time for injured players to come back 🤕

Matchday is when I earn 80% of my income so it's not ideal.

That being said I do understand and will use the unexpected free weekend to try and finish the mancave, fix batman, play pinball and binge watch something.

The games will be rescheduled.

I've spoken to West Ham today and they'll be honoring tickets and a couple of hotels in the immediate area are allowing fans to move their bookings so as they don't lose money.

I really really don't understand the logic in cancelling it. Can someone tell me why it has been cancelled, as its not as a mark of respect otherwise the following would surely have to happen.

All pubs, clubs, restaurants and any entertainment venue be closed for the entire weekend.
All celebrations cancelled, including, but not exclusive, Weddings, Birthdays, funeral wakes.
The prevention of groups of people gathering and enjoying each others company.

I'm sure you can understand where I am coming from.

Saturdays horse racing has been cancelled too, obviously I don’t know but I’d have thought the Queen would not have wanted that, being something she enjoyed. A bunch of local events here are cancelled too.

I don’t think it’s disrespectful for the general public to carry on as normal. I think all the cancellations are not only unnecessary but if anyone was feeling a bit sad about the situation, things they were potentially looking forward to being cancelled certainly won’t help. You must stay home and be miserable people!

They were reviewing whether the Great North Run should go ahead on Sunday too......

• Sad
Reactions: JT.
Saturdays horse racing has been cancelled too, obviously I don’t know but I’d have thought the Queen would not have wanted that, being something she enjoyed.

I agree. I live 10 mins from Ascot and the queens love of racing is legendary.

She was so involved and interested in even the smallest independent local stables, she was horse mad and definitely would have approved the racing going ahead.

That being said she was also a stickler for Royal protocol so who knows?

Reactions: Jib
I agree. I live 10 mins from Ascot and the queens love of racing is legendary.

She was so involved and interested in even the smallest independent local stables, she was horse mad and definitely would have approved the racing going ahead.

That being said she was also a stickler for Royal protocol so who knows?
Royal protocol is NOT to cancel sporting event Kris, that's why I'm so annoyed

I have the appropriate respect for an elderly person passing away, however I'm gutted all the footy is off - was looking forward all week to watching a match on Sunday (at home - people with match tickets who've booked travel/hotels/days put etc and local businesses must be well p'd off)

Only positive to take from it is, will give some time for injured players to come back 🤕
..... and for Graham Potter to work his magic on the training pitch 😂

Probably because some Minister(s) actually pressured them to do so, despite the Cabinet Office's official guidance - this is exactly the sort of backwards archaic nonsense Rees-Mogg would get himself involved in, for example. For me it's just an irritation as I'd have only watched it on TV, but I pity travelling fans who already have sunk costs in travel/accommodation to attend away games.
More parties at number 10? 🎂

The FA and the Premier sh1t the bed not wanting to look bad. The games should obviously be going ahead. We could have sung the national anthem, had a minutes silence and cracked on with it.
And the rest of the leagues have followed suit now too, basically given in to perceived pressure.

On a plus note, some animal rights/extinction activists have been blockading Muller milk sites recently - my wife's not even allowed on-site at their yoghurt factory at the mo for fear of violence, but they took the day off out of respect for the queen too, so everyone can enjoy milk on their cereal tomorrow morning o_O

Surely 96 second silence would be more appropriate?

Yeah that'd work Wayne. Whatever really. Seems a missed opportunity to me. Getting everyone together and the huge outpouring of emotion would be a far better tribute than cancelling football right throughout the pyramid. Even the grass roots stuff is cancelled. The FA are too worried about how the Telegraph etc might have reacted, cowards. Both the rugby and cricket got it right. Football in this country is ran almost exclusively by people with very little understanding of their job/the game.

Yes, they should have continued but I am not sure words like cowards is right.
These organisations recognise this is a significant event with very little precedent to follow.
They don’t want to say it is on
and look callous and then have to cancel for other reason. Look at that F1 race as the world was locking down due to covid and see the chaos from indecision until the last moment.

In London, Operation London Bridge is now in effect. Security services and policing services are starting their processes to prepare for what is needed to host a global event. That may influence the cancelling of London events as those resources are not available. And that triggers a domino effect.

Yes, they should have continued but I am not sure words like cowards is right.
These organisations recognise this is a significant event with very little precedent to follow.
They don’t want to say it is on
and look callous and then have to cancel for other reason. Look at that F1 race as the world was locking down due to covid and see the chaos from indecision until the last moment.

In London, Operation London Bridge is now in effect. Security services and policing services are starting their processes to prepare for what is needed to host a global event. That may influence the cancelling of London events as those resources are not available. And that triggers a domino effect.

Apparently the logistics were not an issue. I think they massively overreacted through fear they'd get slaughtered for it. They've even cancelled the kids football. There's no respect in forced mourning. People have worked all week, we want to go to football and pay tributes that way.

Is that an opinion, a posted statement or inside information that logistics were neither a genuine or possible concern?

And I agree about forced mourning and not wanting to look bad. A good weekend of sporting events is what we need.

Is that an opinion, a posted statement or inside information that logistics were neither a genuine or possible concern?

And I agree about forced mourning and not wanting to look bad. A good weekend of sporting events is what we need.
Screenshot_20220909-193647.png

Chief sports writers for the big papers saying so. The government would’ve mandated postponements if logistics were an issue. The Home Office would’ve told the government postponements were needed. They left it with the football authorities who don't know how to read the room at all.

The way my brain works is I wouldn’t trust a journalist to tell us the truth or anyone to tell him the truth. The Home Office wouldn’t have given him any information directly.
Other area in London have handed over parking areas to police forces in preparation so I was also thinking aloud.
It was my opinion that there are things quietly kicking off and the FA might have factored this in. It can always still just be a massive overreaction.

They were reviewing whether the Great North Run should go ahead on Sunday too......
Too many charities would’ve been affected so thankfully it’s still going ahead- which I’m sure is the right thing to do; Professional sport can be rearranged imo

The absolute nonsense here is that one is hearing continuous references to Queen Elizabeth's hatred of fuss, stoicism, focus on duty.

Surely she would have wanted the country to keep calm and carry on

10 day shut-down ? ... cost of living, war, food shortages, businesses failing, new PM, fuel shortages ....

Grassroots off too although Gabe was only a sub he gutted. So off on mystery tour today which is Northumberland Zoo which has his fav animal the capybara which is basically a huge Rat.

Back
Top Bottom