What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fishy redecal.

My Fish Tales decals were exactly the same, I used a sharpie over the small white areas and they are unnoticeable unless you are looking for them.
In reality you shouldn’t have to do that but maybe all FT decals are the same.

It’s common knowledge that the decals are like that .
You can hide it with a different coin door with sharper corners.
The decals themselves are the best colour match and are easy to apply.
All you new lot just dont know what fun we have to put up with that’s been doing this since the 90’s.

It’s common knowledge that the decals are like that .
You can hide it with a different coin door with sharper corners.
The decals themselves are the best colour match and are easy to apply.
All you new lot just dont know what fun we have to put up with that’s been doing this since the 90’s.

Just had an interesting conversation with Daz.
Knows a lot that lad.

With all the other **** decals on the market, his ones do seem pretty good in terms of colour, overall quality and application.

I just don’t fancy having to colour parts in when paying for new decals.

If this has been known about for years, why hasn't the artwork been changed for future runs?
That’s what I was thinking. I get that it probably saves ink not printing it all orange, but all they have to do would be to increase the orange around the coin door by 10mm or so.

Pretty sure mine is still the original and that’s what it’s like. Can’t believe I’ve never noticed it before!8A6D092B-1A31-4439-B9DE-AB7B9415450B.jpeg

Did mine in about 2010 and the decals came from Pinball Heaven, they are really nice decals. Official ones I think. No issues.
Edit: I have a different door shape.
8842B619-43D0-4A27-9C1C-1426CFAF834D.jpeg

So how you going to fix it? Change coin door or crack out the orange sharpie?

Sharpie. Daz said originally FT was supposed to have a sharp cornered coin door. Never happened. So it’s either new design door or sharpie and as I’m after a decent looking pinball rather than “best in show” that’s the road I’m taking.
The amount of cash I’ve spent on stuff that’s only going to be used once, random orbital sander, staple gun etc etc it’s a bottomless pit.
Alan.

Yeah sounds like the shape coin door is the issue.
Definitely designed for the other style in mind.

M4carp's machine shown above has what's called a 'DBV' (Dollar Bill Validator) door, with the option of fitting a note acceptor. The fact that it's D for dollar shows the u.s. centred market. The domestic production of FT would've had either a DBV* or what's thought of in Britain as a 'System 11 door', as fitted to Taz's machine, above, which doesn't show those white bits. Maybe Williams (or the decal manufacturer) didn't see it as worthwhile to have a different front decal for the u.k. and other territories who'd got used to electronic acceptor doors, with more rounded corners.

* though I doubt this somewhat; the Pricing Adjustments for Fish Tales don't seem to include 'Dollar Bill Slot' to assign one coin input as coming from a note acceptor

Last edited:
I’ve just had a look at a photo of mine and I Im sure it has the same coin door as @Big Phil and it doesn't show the white marks in the corners.

9F3F73BA-68C7-44F5-A224-0A33D4199A69.jpeg

Mine were not original. Fits frame correctly but colour gradient could be better. PXL_20230112_142916879.jpg

PXL_20230112_142914206.jpg

Took
A photo of mine to show the Sharpie work, having looked I notice I have wrinkles around the caster… I’ll sort that this weekend.

787764D9-6DF0-4338-8079-8FF9CF8335BF.jpeg

@M4carp , it looks like you have one of my illuminated caster buttons on your fish tales.

Took
A photo of mine to show the Sharpie work, having looked I notice I have wrinkles around the caster… I’ll sort that this weekend.

@M4carp , it looks like you have one of my illuminated caster buttons on your fish tales.
Was it you who was selling them on eBay years ago? I think that’s where it came from.
Best mod on FT😎

Back
Top Bottom