What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DOMINO ARCADE: The Last DOMINO Critical Hit Pinball Tournament

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
I just want to echo what everyone else has said to thank Neil and Mandy for hosting such a fun event that is totally different from any other format I have played. The hospitality was top notch, everyone seemed happy and it is always good meeting new people.
I thought the use of cards added a great dimension to the competition, my favourite moment watching Wayne’s reaction denying him the chance to “add a ball“ on Medievel Madness to add another million to his score to overtake me [emoji16].
I’m sure a lot of people had a good giggle using some of their cards to their advantage.
I said to Neil he should make his own custom set of cards with even more choice of actions that alter the game such as play the game with your arms crossed, wear kaleidoscope style glasses to name a couple of ideas.

Good idea Chris! Others could be switch a group to a nominated game of your choice provided it’s not in play.

Void a player ball - force any ball drain from a player of your choice.

Target based challenges for bonus points (there were some I think)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massive thanks to Neil and Mandy for organising everything and the great hospitality; could tell there was a lot of hard work involved in sorting everything and keeping everything running smoothly, let alone the cleaning up after!...
Despite playing horrendously for most of the day, I still had a lot of fun and it was great catching up and meeting new people.
Like others, I ended up playing a few games multiple times, but it looks like Matchplay are working on this for the future. Did mean I got to play Mando I think 3 times though, which was cool:)
I still have a few cards which I still had in my pocket; I'll drop them off next time I'm at Flipout!

Look forward to the next tournament! (which is at Flipout next month?)

You played better than me! I was joint last! But came 3rd in 8 of my rounds last in 4 of them and won one of them!

How did you get on? See you at flip out for the October tournament.

Unfortunately the cards are approved by IFPA and it’s not likely they can easily be changed and I wouldn’t want to be not sanctioned. But there are other things we can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There's an ongoing discussion here - with my tuppenneth thrown in :)

I understand the seeding in a comp is there for a reason and it didn't really affect me as I was hovering around the middle for most of the day.
It's more that a few at the bottom only played with the same people except maybe one change occasionally, I know that's normal with seeding but you'd think with a card format it would be shaken up a bit more.

Especially considering one card can give a player an extra ball, i still don't understand when you could use that without screwing yourself over.
In my head I thought if I was in a group with players of varying points I could have used it to give a lower player a chance to be more of a threat to a better player therefore benefiting me somehow.
But that will never happen when you play with people on the same points as you.

So I'm not sure!

2017allCards~2.jpg
Did anyone use this card? If so when and why?

I tend to agree David and there is feedback that using random seeding has worked better. I’ll run a few simulations to test this.

Does anyone in the UK stock the Critical Hit cards?

I think they might add some fun when playing with friends and family who aren't that into pinball

(or for parents whose kids have got annoyingly good)

I tend to agree David and there is feedback that using random seeding has worked better. I’ll run a few simulations to test this.

The first round is good fun playing against those who are way better than you. It does get a bit samey playing the same players over and over depending where they are ranked! As the comp progresses.

I agree that it would be more fun esp for those nearer the bottom if the seeding was more random in the earlier rounds so only went towards the top players in the much later rounds.

Surely playing those of your own ability makes for tighter games. It's not much fun losing every round and likewise it can't be much fun winning each round comfortably. Those at the top are challenge by those of their own ability and those towards the bottom have a fighting chance of winning.

I think unseeded would work much better with this format using the cards. It would also mix up the match-ups a lot more. I played Craig @roadshow16 8 times, but then again that meant he had to play me 8 times :)

Especially with the swap scores. A 'weak' player stealing a better players score, and then having that player trying to chase them down.
Swapping players out of your group would also be of more benefit.
Give a player an extra ball who is of no danger to you, but could steal points from someone who is.

Does anyone in the UK stock the Critical Hit cards?

I think they might add some fun when playing with friends and family who aren't that into pinball

(or for parents whose kids have got annoyingly good)

No but if there was enough interest I could get some made up.

Surely playing those of your own ability makes for tighter games. It's not much fun losing every round and likewise it can't be much fun winning each round comfortably. Those at the top are challenge by those of their own ability and those towards the bottom have a fighting chance of winning.
Agreed - if it's totally random, you'd also potentially get a situation where some of the top ranked players end up in a few rounds against not so great players and winning easy 1st places/points which would be an advantage over the other top players if they ended up in tough groups.
Aside from playing some of the same games multiple times (and not being a big fan of the cards element, although wouldn't put me off future tournament with this format), I liked the way the groups worked. As I started playing a bit better later in the day, it meant that I started playing against different people further up the score table. If you are consistently good or bad you do end up playing the same people, but that does appear to be the most competitive way of going about things and produces appropriate final standings I reckon.

Someone played the Heal Thee card at the end of a round I played in.
After our group's 1st ball, one guy had a much better 1st ball score than me, so I used a card which meant I took over his score (and visa versa).
Much saltiness ensued, which resulted in the guy using his heal card at the end of the round to give another dude an extra ball at the end, just so that the my score could be beaten and I didn't finish higher in that round (which worked!..)
I wasn't much of a fan of the card element overall, but I thought that whole exchange was hilarious!:)

P.S @David_Vi - Great meeting you and Claire; was good chatting!

Last edited:
Agreed - if it's totally random, you'd also potentially get a situation where some of the top ranked players end up in a few rounds against not so great players and winning easy 1st places/points which would be an advantage over the other top players if they ended up in tough groups.
But with it being random that would even up over 13 rounds, so not a problem.

When I was one of the weaker players it was a great feeling beating one of the favourites, not so good now I'm one of the better players being beaten by a weaker player.

Whether it's seeded or not a finals round would improve the format, and tension. There could even be 'finals' down the rankings so everyone is still involved. that would also mean there'd be less of the initial 'ranking' rounds needed.

A Finals - players 1-4,
B Finals - players 5-8,

Small trophies for each of the different finalists. It's what I did while running the league at Tilt and it meant everyone had a chance of a trophy and it received positive feedback, rather than the comp fizzling out for those not in main final.

etc. etc.

If this sort of event was run at flip out where there are more games perhaps the same machine wouldn’t come up as frequently. However that is also where the swap game cards come in handy!

I'd be interested in picking up a deck too if you're sorting something out Neil. Ta

This was my favourite moment of the day by far [emoji3526] it was a very strange feeling, hearing Tony and Dan giggling to each other throughout my ball, quietly cheering me on as my score was going up and up, delighted with themselves that one of them was going to steal my score [emoji1787] The cancel card was quite literally burning a hole in my pocket throughout the whole ball. It was a brilliant moment and Tony it was an absolute joy to do it to you [emoji2960]

This was why I ran this format. Forget everything else for a moment. Having stories like this is what makes community and it literally fills me with pride seeing this be posted.

Awesome!

They are available from Karl who invented the format and designed the cards. I was thinking Neil was organising a group buy?

Is the card that asks you to cover the display part of the modern deck? I always thought that would be interesting with some of the modern ruleset games :) It would certainly be an advantage to the stronger players with good rules knowledge, and might offset some of the bashing they get from the other cards.

Last edited:
Aside from playing some of the same games multiple times (and not being a big fan of the cards element, although wouldn't put me off future tournament with this format), I liked the way the groups worked. As I started playing a bit better later in the day, it meant that I started playing against different people further up the score table. If you are consistently good or bad you do end up playing the same people, but that does appear to be the most competitive way of going about things and produces appropriate final standings I reckon.

Interesting…. As in 8 of my rounds I came consistently 3rd out of 4 players yet ended up in 50th place!

They are available from Karl who invented the format and designed the cards. I was thinking Neil was organising a group buy?

Is the card that asks you to cover the display part of the modern deck? I always thought that would be interesting with some of the modern ruleset games :) It would certainly be an advantage to the stronger players with good rules knowledge, and might offset some of the bashing they get from the other cards.
It is. I played a game on TWD with the screen obscured. Didn't really affect gameplay as it was just bash the well walker, and drops.

What it did do was make it unclear as to what other peoples scores were so how hard you needed to push. That was until I looked up at one of Neil's monitors and saw all the scores were being transmitted there by Scorbit 😂😂

Yeah I missed that out but the Scorbit guys are going to add something to fix this!

You played better than me! I was joint last! But came 3rd in 8 of my rounds last in 4 of them and won one of them!

How did you get on? See you at flip out for the October tournament.

I came 34th/35th I think; mixture of 1st, 2nd 3rds and a few 4 places in there.
I always judge it on how well I played rather than where I finish and I played like a bum half the time; think where I finished was flattering😀 - great fun though.
Catch at flipout soon mate ; still waiting for details of the October tournament I think and looks like I now have plans for atleast the Saturday, so hoping the Friday/Sunday work out.

I came 34th/35th I think; mixture of 1st, 2nd 3rds and a few 4 places in there.
I always judge it on how well I played rather than where I finish and I played like a bum half the time; think where I finished was flattering[emoji3] - great fun though.
Catch at flipout soon mate ; still waiting for details of the October tournament I think and looks like I now have plans for atleast the Saturday, so hoping the Friday/Sunday work out.

Yup see you soon prob go to flip out end of this month

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom