What's new

Budget outdoor security cameras

I know you've already made your purchase, but for others looking at the thread, in common with several other posters, another big thumbs up for the Reolink POE systems with DVR.

We put one in at the MiL's house about a year ago and it has been excellent. It was actually not for security, but for monitoring carers (with their knowledge) as MiL is immobile and has carers 4 times a day and we had had some issues with them not turning up etc.. The cameras have resolved those issues and I'm impressed with both the quality of images and the app to remotely connect over the internet. Very easy to check live view and also find and review previous recordings from either my phone, or more usually a PC/Mac. As the cameras are motion triggered, the 1Tb disk in the DVR holds over 6 months worth of data (3 camera setup).

The people who live next door to MiL also have a Reolink system (for security) and are also very pleased with it still (I think they installed it 2 years ago).

The main thing with home security is to make your house a less easy target than your neighbours. Spike strips should be enough to ward off opportunists and make them question what other traps you have in store. Gravel pathways instead of tarmac helps too.

Last edited:
You guys probably already know this , but just in case you don’t , always look for markers on your property . It could be a chalk mark on a wall or stones left on a door step , it could be Absolutely anything or even a lump of mud left on your car . If you do see anything like this remove them straight away !!
The issue with this is it is already likely too late when a site has been tagged. The gang coming to do the thieving already knows the rough area to work.
The best deterrent is to not look interesting and do a risk assessment on what your assets are and have them proportionally protected.

Cameras come into play when you are already being targeted. Alarms when someone is actually breaking in. If there is no timely response, then they won’t protect you.
But they can give you peace of mind when you know the alarm will notify if someone breaks into an outhouse. The cameras let you check the noise is a fox in the garden etc.

Having the data can also let you know what has happened in the event you do have an invasion. But as @Paul said, the gangs that come to take stuff know how to cover their faces so the police can’t take action.

This is a small portion of my indoor security (this is all for work purposes in video games production, highly amusing claiming the tax back on these)View attachment 165274
I’m hoping someone tries coming in while I’m at home.
I’d be spoiled for choice…
Folded or carbon steel….. 🤔
What would they prefer I wonder ….
4A889383-B307-4A8C-A45C-C1B72E28F9F5.jpeg

Had a bit of 3am cat burglar action last night. Luckily the Ring doorbell was online and triggered the Chime to go off as soon as she set foot on the driveway. Sounds like they were in several back gardens on the same road. Definitely made me think harder about upgrading the home security. Discovered Simplisafe and decided to buy a custom setup. Looks like a really good system and dirt cheap too!

Attachments

• IMG_8723.MP4
    1.9 MB
Had a bit of 3am cat burglar action last night. Luckily the Ring doorbell was online and triggered the Chime to go off as soon as she set foot on the driveway. Sounds like they were in several back gardens on the same road. Definitely made me think harder about upgrading the home security. Discovered Simplisafe and decided to buy a custom setup. Looks like a really good system and dirt cheap too!
Deffo up to no good.
Really happy with my Google cameras. Love looking bad at the footage lol

That’s pretty good, my bro sent me some footage of him mowing the back garden with his Ring set up😂
My dogs good enough, only barks etc when someone is about and if they come in well good luck👹
1664608005575.jpeg

Reolink all the way! I’ve had cameras for over 20yr now and reolink have been flawless with 2yr warranty and simple setup. Fit and forget

Do yourself a massive favour:
Steer well clear of Swan
They are total sh^t!!
No disrespect to other forum members but speaking from experience.
I’ve ripped out a few of their systems.
Their support is non- existent also.
Maplins used to sell their sh^t.
Outdoor stuff rust and leaks like a sieve also.
DVRs die prematurely.
Cost effective stuff with good DVRs if running in you attic and mounting to soffits?
I stick with wired where possible:
Hikvision

I am not sure if you realise that Swan kit comes out of the HIK factory ! They manufacture Swan and many other brands under license

Are you sure?
Hikvision is China state owned
Swann are owned by a US company.
Tech is totally different in terms of quality and reliability.

Do you think Hik is comparable in quality to Swann?
Nope

Definitely not built to the same standard and with cheaper materials/componants
Same as the other brands they manufacture for

If you are looking at professional gear, I would recommend Dahua over Hik every day of the week

However, some of the DIY stuff nowadays is excellent, and much cheaper

^^ Good to know, I’ll check Dahua , have a look see.
Maybe doing a friends soon
He’s an RFD so wants something really reliable. 👍

^^ Good to know, I’ll check Dahua , have a look see.
Maybe doing a friends soon
He’s an RFD so wants something really reliable. 👍
I got through a few HIK systems on my house over the years... always some kind of problem with remote connection / app and the NVR fan always very noisy

Swopped to Dahua, scanned the QR code and away you go.... I think the image quality, user interface and app / connectivity is far superior too
Comparable price

Just my experience ..

Get the combined ring cameras/led floods.

Lighting is more effeftive than cameras alone.

Got 2 ring items on my place. Works well.
The SimpliSafe cameras I'm getting have built in LED lights which light up the area and allow it to shoot full colour HD at night. I've also specced it out with internal motion detectors, internal camera's and a flood alarm for the conservatory.

I would like to think this one would have a go at protecting the house if needed. He certainly terrifies everyone that comes to the door. If they're outside he's hyper aggressive but as soon as they come inside he tries to lick them to death. So it could go either way.

Attachments

• 67301878-9A6C-454B-B850-E39A5A140931.jpeg
    67301878-9A6C-454B-B850-E39A5A140931.jpeg
    181 KB · Views: 10
  • 0C71CF5B-DB58-4FE7-A120-DA634BF631D0.jpeg
    0C71CF5B-DB58-4FE7-A120-DA634BF631D0.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 10
I would like to think this one would have a go at protecting the house if needed. He certainly terrifies everyone that comes to the door. If they're outside he's hyper aggressive but as soon as they come inside he tries to lick them to death. So it could go either way.
I put one of mine down and he definitely would have f’d somebody up if they came in, he just wanted to kill everything. Too risky with a family though☹️
The one I still have would not be happy if anyone came in, she would be at the window going mental and anyone would look at her and think f that😂
She does not trust strangers and watches out for us on walks, I think Thai Ridgebacks are one of the weirdest breeds almost wild!

Pretty sure your dog would look after you when it comes down to it😎

Dogs are a PITA though, I should be going around the world enjoying myself now😭

I put one of mine down and he definitely would have f’d somebody up if they came in, he just wanted to kill everything. Too risky with a family though☹️
The one I still have would not be happy if anyone came in, she would be at the window going mental and anyone would look at her and think f that😂
She does not trust strangers and watches out for us on walks, I think Thai Ridgebacks are one of the weirdest breeds almost wild!

Pretty sure your dog would look after you when it comes down to it😎

Dogs are a PITA though, I should be going around the world enjoying myself now😭
I think I would definitely go back to having large breeds (ex Weimaraner owner). It feels like the smaller they get the more aggressive they get. This one tried to attack a Cane Corso a few weeks back. I was dumbfounded.

I think I would definitely go back to having large breeds (ex Weimaraner owner). It feels like the smaller they get the more aggressive they get. This one tried to attack a Cane Corso a few weeks back. I was dumbfounded.
Thai Ridgebacks are only 25/40kgs and will take anything on, even heard story’s of one in America protecting the owner from a few pitbulls that she owned as well that turned on her and took one out and injured the others before being killed by them along with the owner😱

Had big breeds and much prefer the smaller ones now, much easier to handle and move about plus this is the last one but I have said that before😏😂

Thai Ridgebacks are only 25/40kgs and will take anything on, even heard story’s of one in America protecting the owner from a few pitbulls that she owned as well that turned on her and took one out and injured the others before being killed by them along with the owner😱

Had big breeds and much prefer the smaller ones now, much easier to handle and move about plus this is the last one but I have said that before😏😂
Yeah the problem with pitbulls is the terrier aspect. This one is half terrier. I wouldn't have another dog with any terrier in it. They're bloody mental. When other dog owners used to approach me I used to say "He's unpredictable". But the only unpredictable thing about him is whether he will wag his tail for 10 seconds before attacking or just attack immediately. He does like Whippets though.

Just added two more Ring Floodlight cameras to our setup. The product gets better with each one we buy.
Now I can track this fellow chasing the foxes.

DD5B5F3D-07E6-4372-A1F6-AA39C3143E41.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom