What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Budget outdoor security cameras

Tony

Site Supporter
Alias
Tony
Good morning unfortunately not pinball related I’m afraid, but there are some clever guys on here! due to some recent burglary’s in the neighbourhood (Not me yet!) I’m thinking of installing some outdoor security cameras has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing? And could anyone recommend one system over another?
It’s not really my field, but willing to give it a go? Currently I’m thinking a wired system as in 6 months time I’ll forget to change the battery’s and the wireless ones appear to have a SD card? That might also require changing? Hopefully I can run it all through the loft and mount on soffit? Budget isn’t bottom less I’m afraid a few hundred hopefully? Some appear to require subscription? Some won’t work with apple? Some don’t come with a hard drive, do I need 30m night vision? etc etc.
It’s worse than buying a pinball?
Has anyone installed one and is able to give pro’s and cons?
I already have an alarm system and anti snap locks just trying to go the extra mile
Thanks Tony

I've got a couple of Blink wireless ones, mainly used to see who is at the front door, batteries last about 2 years depending on usage. It sounds like you want something a bit more advanced though.

I recently put up a google/nest cam (wired) just plug it in and connect to the internet and the app pretty much takes care of the rest, does need a subscription, if you want it to record event's etc.. but free for live video. Seems ok to me and does its job.

Thanks I’ve not ruled anything out at the moment hence the post, 2 years sound ok for the battery’s do you have/ need the Sync Module 2 and the subscription?
I've got a couple of Blink wireless ones, mainly used to see who is at the front door, batteries last about 2 years depending on usage. It sounds like you want something a bit more advanced though.

I've fitted a 4 camera Swann system for my folks in law, was very straight forward to set up, just bought a 6 camera system for my own house, found it cheaper here....

Bear in mind will need to be hard wired to Internet if you want to view footage on phone etc, otherwise it will just be a standalone system which is fine for me.

Screenshot_20220330-100833_Chrome.jpg

I recently put up a google/nest cam (wired) just plug it in and connect to the internet and the app pretty much takes care of the rest, does need a subscription, if you want it to record event's etc.. but free for live video. Seems ok to me and does its job.
I’ll have a look I don’t have anything else Google like a nest etc and we’re on apple would that be an issue?

I've fitted a 4 camera Swann system for my folks in law, was very straight forward to set up, just bought a 6 camera system for my own house, found it cheaper here....

Bear in mind will need to be hard wired to Internet if you want to view footage on phone etc, otherwise it will just be a standalone system which is fine for me.

View attachment 165185
I’ve looked at the Swan system I think I saw that you needed a subscription? And some DVR didn’t come with a hard drive? Are these required? Or does it all depend on what you want it to do?

Lots of different systems, the one attached has a 1 terabyte hard drive, will save footage for months as can be set to only record when motion is detected. I think the subscription is if you want to view footage elsewhere via their online portal...wouldn't be needed for a stand alone system imho

CTRONICS are ok for £70 something , does what it’s says far better pic/ video zoom , hd motion etc etc very easy to install but it does need a couple of wires connection like power and internet . I do have a blink too as a back up . Had that over one for one night , ardo or something sounding like like that , it was over priced sh1t hardly triggered anything unlike the blink . But I do recommend the ctronics one as you can move the camera around when you are away from home etc etc

I’ll have a look I don’t have anything else Google like a nest etc and we’re on apple would that be an issue?
Nah, you just need to create a nest account or join it to your gmail (if you have one) I use it on my iPhone.

I would go with the Reolink 4K cameras. Have used them now at a few clients houses and have been pleasantly surprised considering the price point. I used all Ubiquiti cameras when doing Control4 at my own house but the cameras are not worth the money when you look at the jump in price
09B18BD5-FE9A-4E16-954F-A81247F6E19F.png

Thanks I’ve not ruled anything out at the moment hence the post, 2 years sound ok for the battery’s do you have/ need the Sync Module 2 and the subscription?

The first one I bought was a camera which came with the sync module, then I bought an extra camera for the back of the house. No subscription is needed.

You really want prevention or something to alert you at the time. Recordings are good but most will likely just show you a hooded individual, most likely flicking the V's at the camera which I've seen as they don't give a toss about the camera.

I had a swan system but found it worked for my needs but wasn’t as accessible for my Wife who gets concerned when a security light goes on.
I started putting up Ring floodlight cameras and now just add more when I find them for a good price. It is a cloud based, app centric system but the functionally is always evolving. The devices use Wi-Fi for communication but they have powered and battery devices. One battery device uses a solar panel also bought from Ring. Works all year round.
There are also Wi-Fi repeaters that dedicated gateway that I use in waterproof boxes.
When the Ring alarm system was released I integrated that in the outbuildings so detection on an alarm sensor could trigger camera recording.
Amazon bought Ring and so it has integration with the Amazon devices and there are Apple and Android apps.

Costco often sell two packs for a very good price.

Thanks for everyones comments, its a bit like pinball in there's so much choice, it boils down to what each individual wants, I've ordered a Reolink 4K cameras system, was a bit more than I wanted to spend but I "think" it will do the job.
Thanks again

Tony

I highly recommend getting an alarm system. From my research it seems alarm systems are viewed as old fashioned these days, at least that's what I've read. We were broken into a few months ago, they completely ignored my cameras and security lights, and the fact I had an alarm fitted. Lucky we use our alarm, when they triggered it they legged it empty handed. We returned home from a night out to just find a damaged window. Had the alarm not gone off it would have been so much worse. I guess they were banking on the fact that they would only be a few minutes and most people who have alarms don't use them.

Cameras are all well and good but if you're out on the booze are you really watching you're phone every notification that comes in? Even if you do they'll likely be long gone before you can do anything about it.

I've got ARLO Pro.

Wireless cameras which connect to a hub which is plugged into your internet.

Notifications to your phone if triggered - mic and speaker on each of the cameras, live feed viewable and records and keeps all videos for 7 days (but they can be downloaded for posterity).
No subscription and can purchase additional cameras (up to 6/8 can be linked to the same hub)

Battery lasts pushing 6 months depending on how many times its triggered and sends notification to your phone when it needs recharging.

I highly recommend getting an alarm system. From my research it seems alarm systems are viewed as old fashioned these days, at least that's what I've read. We were broken into a few months ago, they completely ignored my cameras and security lights, and the fact I had an alarm fitted. Lucky we use our alarm, when they triggered it they legged it empty handed. We returned home from a night out to just find a damaged window. Had the alarm not gone off it would have been so much worse. I guess they were banking on the fact that they would only be a few minutes and most people who have alarms don't use them.

Cameras are all well and good but if you're out on the booze are you really watching you're phone every notification that comes in? Even if you do they'll likely be long gone before you can do anything about it.
Makes sense - Cameras are pretty much useless nowadays - Hoodies and masks mean you cant make out who it is... however catch them in the act (i.e. Alarm) and they cant hide from that...

I think if they are gonna get in they will, the camera’s are to try and dissuade them and to have notifications of someone at the front door etc. we do have an alarm and we always use it? But unless it’s one of those monitored ones I don’t really know if anyone pays much attention to it going off nowadays?

You're right, people don't pay much attention to an alarm going off. There's one in my street that goes off semi regularly, I don't rush out there and try to find out where it's coming from, I just stick my head out to make sure it's not my car. However, the burglars don't know if they're going to get a response from a neighbour or not. Luckily in my case they ran immediately and got into the waiting gettaway car so they seemed to worry about it. Saved my bacon for sure.

I would go for Reolink too if I were doing it again. I have RING doorbell and TP Link covering the front of the house. TP Link covering the rear plus various SMART door sensors on the garage, shed etc. I've also got anti-climb spike strips along the perimeters. I have another 3 wifi cameras that I haven't bothered installing as I just don't think there's any need. The dogs should hopefully do their bit, or at least give me enough warning to get to the mocap weapons room :)

You guys probably already know this , but just in case you don’t , always look for markers on your property . It could be a chalk mark on a wall or stones left on a door step , it could be Absolutely anything or even a lump of mud left on your car . If you do see anything like this remove them straight away !!

You can hook a lot these internet enabled devices up to IFTTT and then use that to drive other behaviours. So for instance you could set it up to turn on your bedroom light if someone opens the shed door after midnight.

Upvote on Reolink and I’ve had a few systems over the years and these are unrivalled.

Thanks everyone there is no right answer what suits one may not suit another.
I’ve gone with the Reolink I ordered it yesterday and it arrived today! I don’t have prime and didn’t pay for the quick postage so a bit of a result. I’ve managed to plug it all in and have a quick play, even managed to run temporary cables and check my locations suit and with a bit of tinkering they will. So far it appears quite straight forward (that’s the kiss of death right there!) just the one wire for both power and data all connected to the recorder then the recorder plugs in to the Wi-Fi, the recorder only has one plug to power to the lot, I’ve even had a go on the app, there’s lots of things that you can tweak and you can set levels of notifications etc so, so far so good.
Weather dependent I’ll try and get it fitted this weekend.
Thanks again for all your responses they are appreciated.
Tony

Thanks everyone there is no right answer what suits one may not suit another.
I’ve gone with the Reolink I ordered it yesterday and it arrived today! I don’t have prime and didn’t pay for the quick postage so a bit of a result. I’ve managed to plug it all in and have a quick play, even managed to run temporary cables and check my locations suit and with a bit of tinkering they will. So far it appears quite straight forward (that’s the kiss of death right there!) just the one wire for both power and data all connected to the recorder then the recorder plugs in to the Wi-Fi, the recorder only has one plug to power to the lot, I’ve even had a go on the app, there’s lots of things that you can tweak and you can set levels of notifications etc so, so far so good.
Weather dependent I’ll try and get it fitted this weekend.
Thanks again for all your responses they are appreciated.
Tony
Nice. Get some wifi Smart bulbs for your outside lights and you can program those to do a red and blue police siren display when alarm activated for additional burglar intimidation.

Do yourself a massive favour:
Steer well clear of Swan
They are total sh^t!!
No disrespect to other forum members but speaking from experience.
I’ve ripped out a few of their systems.
Their support is non- existent also.
Maplins used to sell their sh^t.
Outdoor stuff rust and leaks like a sieve also.
DVRs die prematurely.
Cost effective stuff with good DVRs if running in you attic and mounting to soffits?
I stick with wired where possible:
Hikvision

Back
Top Bottom