What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BSD Opto Board reflow

It does feel like a connection issue. Such a hard machine to diagnose. I currently have two out of three machines out of action and almost no time to diagnose them. I'm starting to just buy another one instead to lower the ratio of broken ones 😂

Was in the same situation with my TZ after I bought it, as soon as I started probing after a problem a **** load more things was going wrong. But once you have waded through the **** you learn more and get to the bottom of it eventually and are better for it for the next time.
Switch edge test is your friend sometimes. Would be annoying to change that board and the problem is still there but at least you would have a spare if you did.
Maybe start checking all the switches/opto’s are working and banging about in switch edge test like has been mentioned.

Did you reflow the opto’s on the board as well as the connector ?

I reflowed every single thing on the board...twice. I think I'll probably replace the opto beam first and then buy the Homepin board if that doesn't fix it. I'm starting to think about taking an evening course in electronics. It's not a subject I enjoy at all but I need a better understanding of what I'm doing really.

Clean the opto's first, can save you hours of grief. I did wonder if you'd cleaned them after my previous post.

If an opto is loose then lifting the playfield will adjust the line of sight between transmitter and receiver.

I was trying to avoid having to dismantle all that ramp section if at all possible. But I guess it's the next thing on the list.

You should need to dismantle anything to clean optos. A cotton bud is normally good enough to do the job or a long armed cotton bud if reach is difficult... Remember to wet the bud first to help remove the dirt from the opto and do both the transmitter and receiver.

Long beam opto seems to be working. Gave them all good clean. No dirt on that one. The ramp opto was filthy. I'm not sure what the state is now. It spat out a ball from Mist on starting the first game. Seems to be behaving now though. Not sure. DSC_1098.JPG

Back
Top Bottom