What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BSD Opto Board reflow

Rob zombie

Site Supporter
Hi, can someone clarify the correct procedure for reflowing the opto board please? I've baked a few graphics cards in the oven before....is that what I should do with this board? If so, what sort of temperature and time please? Thanks!

God knows. People keep saying just reflow the board but no further details. Just looking at a video on YouTube and yes he's doing it manually on the pins (for a different board). I can do that but I was hoping I could chuck it in the oven for a bit instead 😂 I hate soldering. So much.

No - not the oven.You aren't resoldering, you are reflowing, so ensuring continuity. The oven way is just a bit odd as if your oven is uneven as well as temperature etc. with components on board, just not worth it. There's probably not many pads etc on this board, so just whip out the iron and solder and touch it up.

No - not the oven.You aren't resoldering, you are reflowing, so ensuring continuity. The oven way is just a bit odd as if your oven is uneven as well as temperature etc. with components on board, just not worth it. There's probably not many pads etc on this board, so just whip out the iron and solder and touch it up.

Will do, thanks!

Yeah you are not soldering, just heating each blob of solder up until it changes state or goes shiny then move onto the next blob

might need to hold solder to some blobs that are attached to big heat sinks, bridges etc just to get the existing solder to melt

Well, I reflowed it twice and no joy. Looks like I'll have to order a Homepin replacement opto board. Sigh.

When I hit the receiver with a TV remote control I can see the switch being activated in diagnostics. So does that mean its just the opto itself?

....and now it seems to be playing perfectly normally. Just played about 30 games with no issues. I don't know if poking around has somehow fixed it or what? Very odd.

So you can see the long beam opto on your phone now? If you can maybe touch connectors etc one at a time and see what stops it working or you could just leave it until it stops working again but then you would have lost the chance to find a dodgy connection if that’s what it is. Tuff choice when it’s working.

I haven't tested it with my phone again yet. But it all seems to be functioning. No longer randomly spitting balls out of the Mist. I'm just going to leave it well alone now. I've had the glass off and playfield up a dozen times today. The only other thing I did was disconnect and reconnect that J112(?) cable in the backbox.

Yes that's the one that was hanging loose off the board (in the BSD out of storage recommissioning thread). It does seem to be related to this connector. But hard to be sure. I probably didn't need to reflow the board (twice) after all. Just twiddling that connector might have fixed it 😂

Quick test with a camera phone shows the long beam opto isn't lit.

Be aware that certain phone cameras filter out some of the light spectrum as it’s not needed for pictures, I use a digital camera when looking at optical light guards on industrial machines for this reason. Apple for one do this, but normally only on the rear camera and not on the front.

Try the tv remote with your camera to see if you can see the IR spectrum with your camera.

Be aware that certain phone cameras filter out some of the light spectrum as it’s not needed for pictures, I use a digital camera when looking at optical light guards on industrial machines for this reason. Apple for one do this, but normally only on the rear camera and not on the front.

Try the tv remote with your camera to see if you can see the IR spectrum with your camera.

I double checked it against the opto on the left ramp. That was glowing pink. The mist right was black. Might have needed to get closer in to be sure though.

Oh FFS!! It was playing perfectly but then I lifted the playfield to adjust the left outlane switch that was catching balls and now its back to square one. Mist spitting balls out randomly. Just wondering if lifting the playfield is pulling J116 loose?

Silly question, but with board out did you clean optos with isopropyl alcohol?

Silly question, but with board out did you clean optos with isopropyl alcohol?

No I haven't cleaned them at all. Sounds like a good idea. But it also seems very much like a connection issue. Raising the playfield shouldn't cause a fault. I think I'm going to buy the Homepin opto board just for the hell of it. It should at least make this easier to diagnose. I miss Dracula, such a fantastic game. One of the best ever.

Yes the homepin board is an option, still I would clean the optos too, cottong wool bud and some iso :)

Also if it is a connection issue, it is either...

Alignment of opto, still going to be there with new board you'd assume. Or it is dirty.
On board, which you have reflowed so unlikely now.
Between board PF board and backbox board - i.e. the wire there, that'll still be there too. Even with new board.

Also if it is a connection issue, it is either...

Alignment of opto, still going to be there with new board you'd assume. Or it is dirty.
On board, which you have reflowed so unlikely now.
Between board PF board and backbox board - i.e. the wire there, that'll still be there too. Even with new board.

Honestly if the Homepin board doesn't fix it I'm going to get a priest in to give it an exorcism.

How about playfield up, switch edge in test mode and just gentle tap cables & connectors, see if one triggers. Could be just a cable loose if it’s intermittent.

Back
Top Bottom