What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blues Brothers… but by HomePin

Has anyone told @Homepin that Stern have their own ‘budget’ machine targeting the exact same market that also has a MSRP under $5k in Jurassic Park Home Edition?

It’s all well and good putting out a ‘budget’ version of something - but when that item still costs $5k it has to feel like a quality product. Neither Thunderbirds nor Spinal Tap feel like a $5k toy.

I have heard good things about Jurassic Park Home Edition though.

Interesting thread and one of the most negative I've seen.

I don't really care for Blues Brothers as I've never seen the film (and yes I am old enough) but really don't understand the comments like 'we don't want you making it'. Well, there is a solution. Start your own pinball company and make the games you want to make.

Apart from the fact nobody has seen it yet, if you don't like the game, don't buy it. Mike is getting grief for being negative but there are far more negative comments coming the other way.

Pinball is supposed to be a nice relaxing hobby.

"Hey, it's only pinball"

I don't really care for Blues Brothers as I've never seen the film (and yes I am old enough) but really don't understand the comments like 'we don't want you making it'. Well, there is a solution. Start your own pinball company and make the games you want to make.
Maybe I'm losing the plot here, but the only person I can see who actually wrote that comment was Homepin himself, i.e. he seems to have totally imagined that someone else made that comment?!?

Apart from the fact nobody has seen it yet, if you don't like the game, don't buy it.
Its highly unlikely that a competitor will be able to make a BB pin now.
This is why there is upset that a manufacturer with an extremely poor track record, who, by his own admission, is going to make a cheap machine.

Blues Brothers has long been my dream theme for a pinball machine, so it is a real shame for me as a member of this forum that @Homepin machine may be a simple one not designed to appeal to the type of person who is on this forum.

But on the other hand the film came out in 1980 so anyone interested has had 44 years to try to get a license and make a Blues Brothers machine but no one ever did.

So it’s not like Mike has jumped in before anyone else had a chance. I’m guessing that he believes there is an opportunity to license the theme to make a product which will make some
money. That’s fair enough - all pinball manufacturers are in it to make money.

At the end of the day the Homepin Blues Brothers machine doesn’t sound like it will be the machine I have dreamed of, but I might as well blame Stern or JJP for not getting the license rather than giving Mike a hard time for running his business in the way he has every right to, and picking up a cool license.

Am I missing something here?

Last edited:
I will say even thought I'm not a fan of the previous machines and their issues, I'm interested in seeing the final product.

If its cheap enough, has decent artwork and none of the shots are bricked from the factory I can see it being a decent option for homebrew especially with it being open source.

If the above are all ok it would just need someone decent to do the code if the factory version isnt up to scratch.

I will say, and have said it from the start of this project, it is a budget machine at a budget price aimed at 'man cave' buyers NOT pinball enthusiasts. They have lots of choices, the 'man cave' buyer does not. Sure, some pinball collectors will buy this machine but that is NOT my main or even my target market. This concept seems difficult for some trolls to accept.

I guess they will all be happy when it's only Stern left making mediocre quality machines at rip-off prices! (try finding a node board for your Stern in 5 years time - good luck).
Okay, I’ll bite. I’ve reviewed more than 160 pins (and counting), including Spinal Tap, Thunderbirds and some new ‘budget’ machines.

Let’s pretend for a moment I’m an occasional player who wants to add a single pinball machine to my games room - to join my existing pool table/air hockey table and multi-game arcade machine. What’s the unique selling point, to me, of your pins over Super Hoops, for example, which is also priced at the ‘budget’ end of the new pin market? Also, what benefits would you see your pins have over a well-serviced vintage title (e.g. Flash Gordon or my fav, Alien Poker)?

I respect that you’re making pins and more choice of pins is always good, but your pins need to compete on their own merits in what’s now quite a crowded market with a lively vintage scene. You can’t just shout at people for failing to be excited :(

Last edited:
Your average punter that knows very little about pinball will pick blues brothers over super hoop any day solely based on those nostalgia feels.. There's no doubt in my mind that super hoop will be the superior title but the theme kills it and for your average punter looking for somehting to go beside the pool table and poxy lcd mame cabinet blues brothers is an easy win.

Your average punter that knows very little about pinball will pick blues brothers over super hoop any day solely based on those nostalgia feels.. There's no doubt in my mind that super hoop will be the superior title but the theme kills it and for your average punter looking for somehting to go beside the pool table and poxy lcd mame cabinet blues brothers is an easy win.
Seriously? I think basketball is one of the most evergreen themes in existence. Not liking basketball is like hating kittens (or something).

Yep loads i think can't remember the last time I watched a basketball game or was aware of it being broadcast over here, it's just too generic.. The people with the mancaves and money to spend on toys are all of the generation where blues brothers gives em the feels, it's a classic and all they need is a decent backglass and a few clips and theyll shift to the casual punter imho

The steps of release/announcement of a new major themed pinball. (From any supplier)

Before any pics or details

1a. This is going to be epic but I wish manufacturer X got it they'd do it more justice than manufacturer Y.
1b They should have done this theme instead.

Pics released

2a (if it's your preferred manufacturer)
It looks brilliant, in for an LE.
2b (if it's not your preferred manufacturer)
I'm out (even though you were never in)

Gameplay/rules released

3. I can't believe they missed x out (shark swallowing ball), or any other idea that the individual relates to the theme.

People get to play the game

4a (people who own the game)
It's brilliant - best game since last one.
4b (people who have played on site)
It's good but lacking code, has potential
4c (people who were never going to buy one)
Told you it would be garbage.

Within a week of game being released

5. Shed load of poorly thought out overpriced tat sold as must have mods.
6 People start finding ways to add their own movie clips or music.

6 months after release

7. Some people will like it, some won't. Most won't have changed their mind from step 1 - especially if they've posted online.

It's the same EVERY single game release, and will be for evermore.

Personally I didn't enjoy Thunderbirds or Spinal Tap, but as always will wait and see if I get to play one before making judgement.

(God help whoever does get the license of Harry Potter (if anyone) - they're on to a loser straight away).

^^^ So, so true! But factually, I think, stern nearly went under but kept pinball manufacturing alive post 2000. Pins were stripped back, some ok, some not. As others have said, JJP saved pinball by bringing out Woz, first game, loaded, finally Stern have a contender and need to up their game.

American pinball join in, bring out Houdini, almost too loaded but come out swinging. Recently Spooky, cant remember their first one, maybe Rob Zombie, either way, now its been Scooby and recently TCM or LT, both loaded, Barrels of fun, Labyrinth, loaded. See where im going? Homepin, first pin, Thunderbirds, bad reviews everywhere, ranks 294 on pinside, some comedy gold in the reviews, then Spinal Tap, great, great theme, shat on at every turn, not even enough sold enough to get a rating, dire first impressions all over pinside. Don't lauch a great theme in a rush to a load of critics at a pin show surrounded by companies who've been doing it for years and cry when the game gets slammed.

Now another great theme in BB and even before its launched we're being told its being rushed to be ready for a show, cos that went so well last time ffs. Also we're being told it'll be basic and not aimed at pinball lovers, just idiots with 5k who want a cool looking pin and can't do research before buying. Ffs. Come out swinging for the fences with a great pin, great code, find experienced designers and a team who can do the theme justice, not create an imaginary market and kick off because actual pin heads don't think you deserve the licence, prove us wrong, make a ****ing great BB pin and we'll be throwing money at you! We all want an alternative to Stern ffs! No one is holding a gun to your head saying make pinball machines, BB could be a cash cow if done well.

Last edited:
Yep loads i think can't remember the last time I watched a basketball game or was aware of it being broadcast over here, it's just too generic.. The people with the mancaves and money to spend on toys are all of the generation where blues brothers gives em the feels, it's a classic and all they need is a decent backglass and a few clips and theyll shift to the casual punter imho
Depends on the country, in America basketball everywhere and the target man cave that there trying to appeal to will be sports nuts, not sure how popular basketball is in Australia,but yes in the UK and Ireland absolutely zero interest.
Blues brothers is a great theme, hopefully the game will be, as they say third time for charm

True but there wasn't much interest in super hoop in the US either, maybe if it was a licensed team it would have had more impact (and additional costs) but a generic sports title will always lose out to an iconic theme like blues brothers, there's a lot of disappointment both on here and on pinside that's it being made my homepin i don't think you'd get thr same level of disappointment if a generic basketball was being made by them instead although pinball players aren't the target market apparently anyways :)

True but there wasn't much interest in super hoop in the US either, maybe if it was a licensed team it would have had more impact (and additional costs) but a generic sports title will always lose out to an iconic theme like blues brothers, there's a lot of disappointment both here and pinside that's it being made my homepin i don't think you'd get thr same level of disappointment if a generic basketball was being made by them instead.
That's true. Most would want there favourite team.

Surely not 😉, anyway it's not aimed at pinball people it's aimed at the elusive casual player who wants to drop £5k on a giant box with lights that will flip it a couple of times and can't afford a stern pro. Personally any one who has the space for a dedicated games room with a pool table and a pinball machine will not care about a couple of thousand, but what do I know.
It's a great theme, I have yet to hear anything positive from people I trust who have played spinal tap, however let's keep it positive hopefully third time for charm 🤔

If buying a budget machine with limited knowledge of the pinball market Blues Brothers as a theme will win over Super Hoops 99 times out of 100.
If buying a budget machine with limited knowledge of the pinball market and/or mechanical/electrical skills a new machine with a warranty will win over a well-serviced vintage machine 99 times out of 100.

Oh damn , just seeing the blues brothers as a pinball is something i never ever imagined could happen … but maybe this open code thing has got over all the crazy licensing that would be needed in the game .
The all time greatest dream theme ever since all this madness began and actually looking at that pic it looks cool …
Jake on one side so obviously Elwood on the other, think maybe there is a bridge jump ramp at the back ??

If buying a budget machine with limited knowledge of the pinball market Blues Brothers as a theme will win over Super Hoops 99 times out of 100.
If buying a budget machine with limited knowledge of the pinball market and/or mechanical/electrical skills a new machine with a warranty will win over a well-serviced vintage machine 99 times out of 100.
That's very true pinball machines are scary, I was petrified of them before I owned a tombstone star trek next gen, which due to COVID forced me to get going. I would have been exactly home pin target market, but alas I'm not.

Oh damn , just seeing the blues brothers as a pinball is something i never ever imagined could happen … but maybe this open code thing has got over all the crazy licensing that would be needed in the game .
The all time greatest dream theme ever since all this madness began and actually looking at that pic it looks cool …
Jake on one side so obviously Elwood on the other, think maybe there is a bridge jump ramp at the back ??
You would think a jump ramp was an absolute must/no brainier for this theme but how many times has something that appears to be obvious not been included in a game, so we shall have to wait and see but a cool jump ramp would go along way to winning people over, jump ramps are great fun, JP home pin had a little one but still fun to shoot.

You would think a jump ramp was an absolute must/no brainier for this theme but how many times has something that appears to be obvious not been included in a game, so we shall have to wait and see but a cool jump ramp would go along way to winning people over, jump ramps are great fun, JP home pin had a little one but still fun to shoot.
If it was a repro of the jump ramp on Robocop that would be handy too, for us Robocop owners to replace our battered unobtainium clear ramps 😬 🙏

Back
Top Bottom