What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blownwatch

OrochiLeona

Registered
I waited a long time for the moment when I could proudly cross a new game of my want list and declare myself an owner, and especially for the moment when I could create a thread here, which we all would admit to enjoying doing when any of us have a new arrival.. Always exciting, right?

And thus, I have, after nearly a year working back and forth, acquired myself a Sega Baywatch, and a pretty good looking one at that, for a good price. has some cab fade and some slightly botched touch up efforts, but I found a perfect colour match for the cabinet's blue in my box o' paints, and a splash of red on the swimsuit fade works wonders.
The PF is great. Vibrantly coloured with all plastics, one minor chip in one insert is the only visual flaw discovered so far:

(Anything missing in these pics is just currently removed from machine)

2.jpg

So I brought this home a week ago, after an insane 6 hour road trip (not counting traffic jam) a breakdown in a cul-de-sac car park and several heavy journeys upstairs, all done with the vital aid of good buddy and platinum member of the forum Ronsplooter. The machine is now in one piece standing alongside my Pinbot and simultaneously confirming I have no room left for games :(

Pro-tip: check van has space for backbox clearence.

Pro-tip: Take photos instead of doing any work. (not pictured: inquisitive local cat)

The day I declared myself a proud, card carrying BW owner here on the forum was one I was looking forward to, as I'm sure was Grizz, who'd have a comrade in arms to defend the often trashed marvel of pinball machines, easily one of the most underrated games ever.

This thread is bittersweet though...

Because it doesn't ****ing work.

Y'see my BW has a severe issue, on power up it simply lights all the lamps, screams a continuous, *really loud* buzz (which can't be altered with volume control) No DMD, no sound.
Then it blows fuse F1 on the power board (a 7a slo blo used as a 5v regulator) a fuse which goes INSTANTLY red hot upon power up, even if only powered for a second.

The LEDs on the MPU are in PIA error state (5v and PIA light permanently on)

Here's things I've tried:
Changing batteries and checking for any acid. Checking, and if necessary, replacing all fuses. Reseating roms. Reconnecting all ribbons, checking they're aligned correctly. Checking connectors in cabinet. Checking plug wiring and fuse. Checked for burnt connecters/pins.

But most of all, checking and rechecking and rechecking all connecters in back box, by self-written labels, by the manual and even by photos of someone elses working game, paying attention to wire colours and the like.
I'm convinced I've hooked the game up properly, but we can't any of us be 100% on anything ever, right?

This game definitely worked. It hadn't been set up for a while, but it worked and I've seen and played it as such. It was also bought from a friend, someone I can trust, not sight unseen from eBay. The integrity of the seller isn't in question, just the status of the machine as it stands now.

I have chatted to some people about these issues already, and they've offered up advice that I've followed but now I'm throwing this out to the public forum.
There's a lot of talk recently, here and in the Yahoo group about the pinball community forgetting what it does best and spending too much time infighting or complaining about prices or what have you.
I'm hoping we can use this as an opportunity to do what we generally do best, sort each other out in times of pinball related crisis. As selfish at that may sound, considering we're talking about my game, of course.

My first game owned (Pinbot) had some issues that I dealt with with minor worries, and learned much in doing so, but I'm overdue a trial-by-fire pinball experience, and this, my second game, might be it.

If anyone has any advice, thoughts, questions, offers, experience, lives nearby and can visit and have a gander or anything else to offer, I would be humbly grateful. I've been working with this for a week and made no progress.

Help me brothers and sisters...

iambrony.dget.cc_mlp_gif_138879_20__20animated_20Baby_Cakes_20dfa521899acc2677e9bce21e78698a66.gif

..Please??

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0595.JPG
    IMG_0595.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I'm too technically bereft to help with anything useful, but will chip in some Baywatch themed animated gifs after I fire up the laptop. Currently am just dropping the kids off at the pool - kersplash!

Did you have to take the back box off the machine to transport it?

If fuses are blowing you probably want to remove stuff from the power board and get to a point where the fuse doesn't blow - that should then be the source of the problem. If the fuse keeps blowing there's a short (or shorted component) somewhere - there may be a series of issues caused by an original fault.

Just work methodically, changing one thing at a time and don't make assumptions.

Any game specific help, give me a shout.

My hunch, given everything you've said (kudos for running through what you've tried so far) is a short somewhere. Unplug the switch matrix connectors, solenoid connectors, GI etc etc and see if it goes away

You'll probably also want to buy some resettable fuses!

Edit: Yeah, what the good Dr said :)

:(
I dont normall speak up about this sort of thing but do believe it could give the wrong impression to new people visiting this site and I don't want us to come across as a bunch of weird old men.

So can we please have a rule about not posting crotch shots of the Hoff.

You'll probably also want to buy some resettable fuses

Any recommended place I can grab these?

Am I safe to boot machine with connectors removed from Power Board? For example booting with a different conector removed each time. Obvious/dense question possibly but this is my first try at this kind of thing, and i don't want to make things worse

Last edited:
^ the problem with the incorrect connection theory is that I can't "prove" I've done it right to people *or* confirm, hand on heart, 100% that I have.

I've gone over it sooooo many times, and used several methods of comparison, my own labels, the manual, and a hi res photo of Grizz's machine (where I can see the colours of wires too)

So yes, I'm convinced its hooked up correctly, but no, there's no way I can be 100%, never fail sure.

Thanks for all your ongoing help guys, much needed and for the heads up on the fuses.

Checked the transistors out of interest. They all seem fine.

Another wacky question, is there a way I can isolate the PF from the backbox, so just the backbox and dmd and sound is booting, to see if something on PF is causing a short? Or ŵould a game no boot with pf detached?

Just confirming earlier question, am I safe to try booting it with connectors removed from Power Board? Process of elimination style. Not going to fry anything doing that am I?

Is it not possible to boot the machine with all the auxiliary connections removed? So you're purely checking to see if the CPU boots...

I pulled the power board and tested the Bridge Rectifier.
As long as I'm doing it correctly, (first time ive done it ever) I have a reading where two legs give me zero both ways (swapping test leads) the goofy leg and the one directly next to it.

This mean anything to anyone? is the BR bust?

One of the BR legs in question leads to a diode (D14) which in turns leads to the fuse that's blowing.

Last edited:
Can you poss do a little vid of the bridge test it is poss it's gone down hence the fuse blow if it connects to that fuse

Video of Bridge Test. Badly filmed in iPad quality:
At the end you see me trace the rectifier to the fuse holder that houses the blowing 5v fuse.

(Bonus "like" for anyone who can tell me the abstract pinball reference in the background audio)

img.photobucket.com_albums_v13_sanshiro316_th_IMG_0091_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom