What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Bally Fathom

Todays tasks included:
Installing the Tilt board, Flipper switches, the cabinet wiring loom and speaker. etc:
IMG_2155.JPEG
IMG_2156.JPEG

Then onto the boards, Decided on a new MPU - weebly and a fully tested and working lamp driver board. Not sure yet on the state of the SDB, the aux lamp driver and the S&T Sound card:
IMG_2157.JPEG
IMG_2158.JPEG

Dug the score display brackets out of the Evaporust, then have come up nice, but need a polish
IMG_2159.JPEG

Polished the locking tabs and the Score display trays/brackets:
IMG_2160.JPEG
IMG_2161.JPEG
IMG_2162.JPEG

I will upgrade to Led score displays in blue , green and white - but I haven't made them yet, so put the old ones back in for the time being.
IMG_2163.JPEG

Did all the voltage tests from the Rectifier board - all good, one blown fuse. SDB testes out ok for HV and 5V is looking good. So time to put in the playfield and switch on:
IMG_2164.JPEG

It booted once I'd added 3 balls and nothing blew up.

Next jobs will be to upgrade to LedBar lighting, new score displays and then work on the top and bottom of the playfield and the apron. Will move the machine into the pinroom as the garage work is finished.

S&T Boards are not easy to fix, but this one was - Two flashes, no third flash which points to U11 PIA faulty. They are socketed so popped a new one in and hey presto it booted.

Still no sound, not even a crackle out of the speakers. No hum no nothing. Started to trace continuity from the S&T speaker output into the cab to coin door, via volume control and back to the cab to the speaker. All tests out and volume pot is working fine.

Might be the speaker itself, or a problem with the audio amp on the S&T board. Need to find and hook up another speaker to test.........

Managed to sort the s&t found board and it now works when connected to a test speaker, direct to the board speaker output.

The speaker in the cab isnt working. Took it out and saw that it has a broken fly lead from the movement coil to terminal lug. It’s too short to resolder to the lug. and it’s a thin braided copper wire. I’ve tried soldering to it but the solder won’t take at all. maybe it’s got a coating. anyhow managed a bush repair with some tin foil and a bare piece of wire, got a good connection back to the terminal connector lug.

Tested it out and we now have sound and voice 👍

Played a game and it all seems to be working. flippers are weak but yo be expected. rebuilding them is on the “to do” list

Sounds like you been busy but rewarding all the same mate, I love these kind of threads as I’m learning as I go thanks to people like you and everyone else sharing there skills.
Awesome man 🙌🏻

Last edited:
I think I’ll replace all the GI lights in the backbox with addressable rgb, then i can do some fancy light shows

Watch out the incandescent police are about!

Top job mate. Looks great!

I have those style. the problem with them is they are too big to use on the front of the backbox, i wanted more lights than were in there originally. - those would have worked if i wanted to poke them through the old lamp
holder holes. they also work well in the playfield gi when you need a lamp up
above the pf surface. (i’ll be using them for that soon)

Don’t know how I missed this thread . Alan you have done a cracking job and as for the clear coat I can feel your pain . I bought a spay gun just for the clear coat but it wasn’t putting enough on so I had to switch guns . Once the hole cab had dryed properly I had to the sand it all down with 1500 grit which definitely was Squeaky bum time for me 😂

Back
Top Bottom