What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone into home cinema?

I must still have about 180 hddvd and they give out a better picture than blue-ray any day,the telly in the games room is a 8 year old pioneer plasma kuro range and that still is a better picture than my newer one in the living room,I don't think pioneer even make tv's now .

Yup hd was the Betamax of the DVD world. But because more people backed Sony just because its Sony bluray won. Shame really as I think they had more promis, I think they would of actually compressed box sets onto fewer discs like they said they would unlike bluray.

I must still have about 180 hddvd and they give out a better picture than blue-ray any day,the telly in the games room is a 8 year old pioneer plasma kuro range and that still is a better picture than my newer one in the living room,I don't think pioneer even make tv's now .

Sold my 50" Kuro last year, my thinking being its not going to last forever, lets sell it while its still worth a fair amount. The blacks really were amazing, better than anything other than an OLED display. The 4k sony I replaced it with is definitely lacking in a few areas compared to the Kuro.

Sound I have an Onkyo amp, B&W CM8's and CM center, BK Monolith sub ( an absolute beast ) and some accoustic energy AE100 floor standers for rear channels.

My Kuro 50" HD, still going strong in kids room, super tv. Far better than the 65" Samsung replacement, but saying that mainly use projector for films

My Kuro 50" HD, still going strong in kids room, super tv. Far better than the 65" Samsung replacement, but saying that mainly use projector for films

I've got the smaller Kuro model, the 42". OLED TV's are still only just catching up in terms of the image quality, and hopeless in comparison when it comes to watching fast moving images like sport. I'm just about to upgrade to one like Phil's, but only because my wife can get it on a staff discount, otherwise I'd be sticking with the Kuro (which is just going to move into the kids playroom, it's too good to get rid of even after 7 or 8 years).

Last edited:
I only buy Panasonic they are very reliable even after the 5 year warranty, but guess they get outdated before they fail

Mate of mine swore by Panasonic. Super reliable.
Wonder if they'd do a reliable pinball machine ;)
They bought the Pioneer Kuro technology - they never hit the heights that that Kuro model did, but kept the plasma format alive for a bit longer. Another betamax versus VHS type issue - the cheaper to manufacture LCD screen won the day, but finally oLED seems to be catching up - at least in terms of picture quality and blacks. Still absolutely crap for sport mind, comparatively.

Last edited:
I bought an LCD Panasonic 46" TV 2 years ago (just as the World Cup had started). With a heavy heart I dropped it in a skip a month ago as it stopped working. It stopped holding the channels e.g. I'd turn the sky box on, the image would appear for a few seconds then go off. No matter what av Input you switched to, it just wouldn't stay on.

So I've gone back to Samsung. Went for a 4K 49" curved. The image is a bit "false", if that makes sense, it's way more vibrant than the Panasonic but i still have my original 40" 1080p Samsung in the bedroom. 9 years and going strong. Panasonic have burnt their bridges with me.

That would of been an easy fix it's normally due to duff caps or the ir board had the same on my Samsung and fixed it for about £25
Panasonic make really good capacitors. Would have been interesting to see if they have the same problems as other tvs with bad caps.

I bought an LCD Panasonic 46" TV 2 years ago (just as the World Cup had started). With a heavy heart I dropped it in a skip a month ago as it stopped working. It stopped holding the channels e.g. I'd turn the sky box on, the image would appear for a few seconds then go off. No matter what av Input you switched to, it just wouldn't stay on.

So I've gone back to Samsung. Went for a 4K 49" curved. The image is a bit "false", if that makes sense, it's way more vibrant than the Panasonic but i still have my original 40" 1080p Samsung in the bedroom. 9 years and going strong. Panasonic have burnt their bridges with me.

Depending where you bought it, it should have a 5 year warranty!

The mooseshack is scheduled for completion this year and upstairs we want a home cinema room.
Having gone video to dvd to bluray I am going no further in quality so no 4k for us.
What projectors do you guys recomend and sound setups?

In the living room we currently enjoy our movie nights on a 60" Kuros, best telly ive ever had. Bought just before they stopped making them.

Reactions: JT.
moose,

At least a1080p HD projector (if not going 4k) and possibly 3D if you are into that. I had an optoma HD20 - fab projector and the bulbs are very cheap to replace - mine 3000 hours after 5 years!!! and I still didnt need to replace it.

Sound wise its up to you and budget but a decent 5.1 rig will be nice

Cheers

Kev

PS hows the bingo machine lol !!

I have this one and very very happy with it...
BenQ TH681+ 1080p DLP Projector for Home Entertainment with an Enhanced Contrast Ratio (DarkChip3) 3200 ANSI Lumens, Blu-ray and 3D Supported and HDMI Connectivity https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MV9ZYGI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_4xGBybVFHEK9A

1080P with a high lumen value bulb means it will project an image up to 7.6m diagonal. Bulb lasts 5000hrs. Does very good 3D movies at 144hz, better than the cinema I'd say. Very very pleased with it. Make sure you get a DLP projector because rainbow effect can be painful if anyone is susceptible.

Hi moose
I agree with Kev a good 5.1 or 7.1 set up is the way to go then it all comes down to budget,personally I would spend more on speakers and amp than on the tv,move your kuro to the moose shack buy a reasonable price 4k uhd telly for the house as in the long run that will probably get used the most then you can see if 4k is worth all the fuss,never been a big lover of projectors but it has been a while since I have seen a new fancy set up so can't really advise on that.

Cheers guys will look into all these links. Don't think I'll be doing 3D either as it gives me a headache.
I have 5.1 now
7.1 is the 2 extra speaker mid way between the screen and the viewer?
Plug on the bingo machine and fully working. We had a few games at New Year's Eve ta Kev

Sorry, I should clarify that you may get rainbow effect on the projector I have. Better to get a 3 chip DLP to avoid all possibility. I didn't suffer from rainbow effect until I started looking for it (big mistake!) but soon managed to train my brain not to see it. Its something to be aware of when choosing a projector.

Cheers guys will look into all these links. Don't think I'll be doing 3D either as it gives me a headache.
I have 5.1 now
7.1 is the 2 extra speaker mid way between the screen and the viewer?
Plug on the bingo machine and fully working. We had a few games at New Year's Eve ta Kev

Agree speakers are the way to go. 7 is additional rear speakers. I'm currently running 7.2, but wired for 7.2.4 for when Atmos gets cheaper.

Projector wise, again just HD, 4K is amazing but at a serious price. I'm running a Optoma HD50, which is a 3D DLP 1080p, I dont use the 3D

Don't be cheap with your speaker choice. It's worth splashing out on expensive speakers. They will literally be cumming in your ears!

Don't be cheap with your speaker choice. It's worth splashing out on expensive speakers. They will literally be cumming in your ears!

And large subs :)

I went for 7 Monitor Audio WT380-IDC's which work well

Every time I bought home cinema Google was my friend. Just typed in Top 10 projectors or amps, receivers, speakers 2016 or whatever else I was looking for and did a bit of reading.
Home cinema choice website was always a good place for reviews.
I'd then find a shop nearby and go see/hear them........ then save a fortune by buying online.

Back
Top Bottom