What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone into home cinema?

Big Phil

Site Supporter
Alias
OTWBigPhil
I've had a 4k TV for a while now but haven't really viewed any proper 4k content apart from short demo videos.

I've eventually taken the plunge and purchased a UHD player.

Just after some movies now! I've ordered Deadpool. I really want Star Trek next.

Anyone selling any UHD DVD's?

Used to be, especially the surround sound aspects, but then kids came along and we're back to 2 built-in crappy speakers at low volumes past 8pm :(

Fond memories of watching NHK's UHD 8K with 22.2 surround sound demo at the IBC trade show in Amsterdam a good few years ago - totally blew anything i could afford away, even though it was just a concept at that time.

Maybe considering a 4K telly in the New Year, as long as it supports Netflix 4K built-in, but i don't think our rural broadband will deliver the steady 25mbps download speeds it requires. We typically get 8-16mbps, which is enough for 99% of everything, including working over VPN, but not for that 1% UHD!

To be honest though I'm quite enjoying going to the cinema when i can these days, usually when i'm working away in Birmingham. Nice treat.

Never really had a proper set up. I made a sound bar with 4 X 6" speakers and a 12 pioneer in a bandpass box. As above, before children.

I have a projector setup. I couldn't ever use a normal telly for watching movies now. Even at 1080p projected onto the bare wall at sizes up to 300" the picture quality is just awesome and easily as good as being at the cinema. I have to listen on headphones (wirelessly through the PS4 gamepad) though so as not to wake the kids up. Great setup for gaming too of course :)

I have a projector setup. I couldn't ever use a normal telly for watching movies now. Even at 1080p projected onto the bare wall at sizes up to 300" the picture quality is just awesome and easily as good as being at the cinema. I have to listen on headphones (wirelessly through the PS4 gamepad) though so as not to wake the kids up. Great setup for gaming too of course :)

Are projectors good with blacks?
Dark movies are garbage on our led telly.

I have a similar but probably cheaper set up....38996-computer_privacy_protecting_sweater.jpg

I've had a 4k TV for a while now but haven't really viewed any proper 4k content apart from short demo videos.

Just after some movies now! I've ordered Deadpool. I really want Star Trek next.

Are there any online providers for this material - legitimate or otherwise?

4k and Atmos sound the way to go.

Running 7.2 in lounge with wiring for 7.2.4 waiting for a good amp.

Are projectors good with blacks?
Dark movies are garbage on our led telly.

The black levels are really dependent on how dark you can get your room. The room needs to be pitch black with no light bouncing off side walls ideally. Some projector screens will enhance blacks. I have a big motorized screen still unopened in it's box after 2 years because I just don't feel the need for it...and I can get a much bigger picture on the bare wall. I don't think it's possible to get absolutely perfect black levels unless you're using an old Panasonic Vierra plasma.

i have a laser disc player with the original star wars without all the freaking "enhancements" its epic :D

xbox one s plays uhd blurays - star trek looks amazing on it.

BT Sport looks stunning in 4K.

To be honest though HD1080p HDR looks better than 4K. Sky have had a few 4K movies including spectre.

Cheers,
Neil.

Also got a Sony stereo Betamax and hd DVD player , and finally a svhs player , I do own blu Ray too

When I worked in broadcast commercials about 12 years ago we were still using Betamax for production. Sony only stopped making Betamax tapes earlier this year.

I must still have about 180 hddvd and they give out a better picture than blue-ray any day,the telly in the games room is a 8 year old pioneer plasma kuro range and that still is a better picture than my newer one in the living room,I don't think pioneer even make tv's now .

I have the Star Wars cav laserdisc box set too .
Own around 200 laserdiscs
109 hd DVDs including some rare ones
Pride on beta is zombie flesh eaters

Need to get die hard on beta to complete my wants list

The rare hddvd is all that people that collect them are interested in can buy all the other ones for pennies now when I bought most of mine at full price including a good few that only got released in certain countries,there is still a couple of rare ones I didn't get but wouldn't pay the money now as they would end up gathering dust like the rest of them.

Shall we revive this thread in 20 years when the kids have moved out.......
Hopefully....
Keep dreaming if you think your kids are moving out in 20 years!

My oldest is 27 and still not looking at moving out, even though we keep asking him when he's moving out! Also know of 30+ year old still living at home, and as time moves on the longer they're going to rely mum and dad before standing on their own feet.

Converted a garage at the old house with wall width projector (720p 11 years ago) an 5.1 pro logic audio (1000watts) - made a great moshpit for singstar and guitar hero on PS2 back then. Lord of the rings was incredible, especially when saurons husk of a mask hit the deck. I just don't seem to have time for films these days and I'm knocking on so I cant really tell the difference in audio anymore lol

HI Phil,

I have a full Tannoy 5.1 speaker set and sony amp. 4K 55" Sony TV which is great on Netflix as it has lots of 4K content(some free some not) I did have an Optoma 1080p HD projector and 89" motorised screen until I moved and that was fab !!

Cheers

Kev

I guess I should tell you all what I have.....

I purchased the LG OLED 55EF950V TV. Absolutely stunning quality and the black are really black - http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-55EF950V

My receiver is the Denon AVR-X1200W - http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/homecinema/avreceiver/avrx1200w

Just purchased the Panasonic DMP-UB700EBK UHD player.

My speakers are Canton Movie 150 I think off the top of my head.

There are some UHD HDR demo videos here which you can download - http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?cat=demouhd

Yeah, Betacam SP I think. I did have a load of tapes lying around but they seem to have done a disappearing act.

I know them very well, we have a few tens of thousands of them knocking about, and far fewer decks to play them :popcorn:

Back in the days of tape-to-tape editing... none of this really flexible non-linear CTRL-Z to undo mistakes server rubbish. Tape arrives 5:45pm, 15mins turnaround in the edit suite, top story on the 6o'clock news. Done. It definitely wasn't 4K though!

Back
Top Bottom