What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Tips - My first Pin arrives tomorrow 1980s early Bally

Antray84

Registered
Hello There. So tomorrow Martin / Martin's Brother-in-Law will be delivering my first pin and I thought this would be a good time to start a thread and reach out for some basic advice on the dos and don'ts. I am looking to put out my 'pinball journey' thread when I have things how I want them but in the meantime here is the lay of the land.

I have been on UKVAC for 6 years and have brought, sold and restored several cabs. I was always into 'vids' growing up (Turtles, PacMan, Wrestlefest, Smash TV, DK, Street Fighter) that is where all my nostalgia lies as a 90s kid (39). I was never into pins although I do have some vague memories of a small me lasting a few seconds on some games in the distant past. However, I eventually got a Virtual Pinball machine (now sold) and I found myself playing that more than the vids. Pinball arcade on the PS4 also was super addictive, with Medieval Madness and Tales of Arabian Nights being favorites. Over time I realised I'd had my fill with video arcades and recently decided to try to get into pinball properly. The problem being that the money that was available to me around 6 years ago for arcades is not there today. Life has changed a lot for many of us in that time. I could probably stretch to 1k /1.5k for a machine, but that was very unlikely to get me anything I would actually want. I have no interest in EM machines for starters, and didn't want something that I had no connection to.

But, recently a Bally MR and MRS Pacman came up for sale well within that budget. It worked, the playfield looked pretty good with some limited wear and it was a theme that I actually connected with owning a MS PAC stand-up and having a genuine love for the yellow puck. I am well aware that it is not the best pin in the land. Coming from the world of arcades I actually like the idea of the pacmaze, but I know many dont' But it seems a good starter pin, has enough to shoot at and a simple rule set for quick games.

This got a bit long, but any advice is welcome. I want to get Geetoah's Squark and Talk board and I will do some cosmetic work, other than that I am all ears. It's not a JAWs premium but it's a start.

How exciting!
After an initial check that things look orderly inside and fuses are correct values, turn on, being ready to turn off immediately if things sound wrong (solenoid locked on or whatever). If all or most lights come on and you get displays - pcbs are good.
(Download paperwork from ipdb to understand test menus and get schematics for troubleshooting when needed)
If the batteries are on the board - relocate asap - alkaline leak is the scurge of pcbs. (Or NVRam) Take glass off platfield and wipe down playfield - which acts as an initial check..
Check ball for shinyness! A pitted ball will cause playfield damage. The rubbers may well need replacing - any broken need immediate replacement before you break expensive plastics. (Order set rubbers, several packs bulbs etc - but wait to see any other 'missing' issues maybe - once you have checked over)

All good so far - start playing in and note issues - switches may need adjustment, lightbulbs will need replacement - but that's where the joy if ownership begins..
Enjoy.
PS this is an off the cuff post, I think I covered most initial tasks - after a dozen machines I now usually do a complete stripdown to get all issues spotted before I even switch on - but I recall the initial excitement of getting that 1st machine going..
Best of!!

Good luck and congrats, have owned loads of pins over the years and Mr & Mrs Pacman was my favourite as a school kid as I was into video games.
I need to own it one day😎
Plenty of help available on here if you need it.

Hello There. So tomorrow Martin / Martin's Brother-in-Law will be delivering my first pin and I thought this would be a good time to start a thread and reach out for some basic advice on the dos and don'ts. I am looking to put out my 'pinball journey' thread when I have things how I want them but in the meantime here is the lay of the land.

I have been on UKVAC for 6 years and have brought, sold and restored several cabs. I was always into 'vids' growing up (Turtles, PacMan, Wrestlefest, Smash TV, DK, Street Fighter) that is where all my nostalgia lies as a 90s kid (39). I was never into pins although I do have some vague memories of a small me lasting a few seconds on some games in the distant past. However, I eventually got a Virtual Pinball machine (now sold) and I found myself playing that more than the vids. Pinball arcade on the PS4 also was super addictive, with Medieval Madness and Tales of Arabian Nights being favorites. Over time I realised I'd had my fill with video arcades and recently decided to try to get into pinball properly. The problem being that the money that was available to me around 6 years ago for arcades is not there today. Life has changed a lot for many of us in that time. I could probably stretch to 1k /1.5k for a machine, but that was very unlikely to get me anything I would actually want. I have no interest in EM machines for starters, and didn't want something that I had no connection to.

But, recently a Bally MR and MRS Pacman came up for sale well within that budget. It worked, the playfield looked pretty good with some limited wear and it was a theme that I actually connected with owning a MS PAC stand-up and having a genuine love for the yellow puck. I am well aware that it is not the best pin in the land. Coming from the world of arcades I actually like the idea of the pacmaze, but I know many dont' But it seems a good starter pin, has enough to shoot at and a simple rule set for quick games.

This got a bit long, but any advice is welcome. I want to get Geetoah's Squark and Talk board and I will do some cosmetic work, other than that I am all ears. It's not a JAWs premium but it's a start.
Approximately 1 year ago I was in the same position.

What I can tell you is this. Pinball might be the most addictive thing on the planet.
It will consume your waking hours. Possibly get you sacked for browsing pinballinfo sale section.
Certainly cause issues with her indoors. Any available cash will be pointed towards the next pin
Because you imagine it will be the ‘one’ that will satisfy that craving.
Going from video games pins are ludicrously priced but soon you will rationalise a 3k pin
Is a bargain and believe it.

Buying your first pin is one of the best and worst things you will do.
Would I do it again. Hell yeah

😉

It might not work straight off the van. The old dears don't like pin shake especially being on Martin's van for days.

So triple check all the connections etc.

Also what everyone forgets is let it acclimatise to its new surroundings as it will be cold as fook for a few hours.

Thanks a lot guys. Alltek having boards etc made me feel a lot more comfortable about it all. It seems manageable. Just really good to get into the community, it's a lot easier if you have some skin in the game. By the end of the year if things go well financially I would be after a cheapish DMD machine (Lethal Weapon, Royal Rumble) Again cheap but cheerful. Jaws is the dream. I wrote my Masters dissertation on the movie and can quote every line, but it seems impossible at the moment. Just have to go to Funland at the Brunswick instead.

I heard somewhere about making a human sacrifice to the Pin Gods on the machines arrival, but I might have misheard.
....And if I don't nail the skillshot first time, it's going back.

Just a heads up here:
If you ever decide to upgrade your score displays from the original High voltage orange gas plasma displays to modern 5v LED displays, there is something you need to be aware of:
Most of the replacement LED score displays on the market, (including the ones I make) dont work with Mr & Mrs Pac-man, UNLESS you make a modification to the wiring.

See this post on pinside: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinscore-displays-help

I will also explain why the problem arises.
Bally (& Stern) early SS games, had 6 digit score displays. These used pins 4,5,6,7,8,9 on the 20 way connector to control each of the 6 digits.
Later games had 7 Digit scoring, and Bally used pin 12 for the 7th digit, whilst Stern decided to use Pin 11 instead.

So, when designing a modern LED replacement, it made sense to join Pin 11 & Pin 12 together so the displays are compatible with both Bally and Stern games.

This works fine in every game, 6 digit score displays dont use pin 11 and 12 at all and 7 digit bally games use pin 12 but not pin 11 and 7 digit stern games use pin 11 but not pin 12.

Until we get to Mr & Mrs Pac-man. This uses pin 12 for the 7th digit as expected, BUT in the factory, the wiring loom for the score displays, looped one of the other score display wires into pin 11 ! There was no need to do this, and no one really knows why it was done.

The solution is very simple. Remove the looped wire from Pin 11. The connectors are IDC type and the wire is easy to remove. It needs to be removed, not cut as the wire is transporting signals to the other displays, so neeeds to be intact.

I would also say, if you haven't already, get along to your local pin meetup, league, tournament etc, and meet some of the good people from here in the flesh. In my experience, their generosity with help and advice has been quite overwhelming. No one cares if you are rubbish (though they might do if you are really good 😂), the shared enjoyment of the hobby is the most important thing. and having one (or more) at home really adds to that in my experience.

What he said 👆🏻

I'm in Sudbury, Suffolk so not far away should you have any little issues, there's a good bunch of us in East Anglia always happy to help each other out 😃
Do you have any experience soldering?
With these Bally's often you'll find issues with switches due to the little capacitors failing or being cut off. If you have any switch issues that's probably why!
Seriously any issues the forum is great for help, or give me a message 😄

Also this..
(East Anglian league has a meet in Southend in a few months but the rest are probably around an hour from you)

What he said 👆🏻

I'm in Sudbury, Suffolk so not far away should you have any little issues, there's a good bunch of us in East Anglia always happy to help each other out 😃
Do you have any experience soldering?
With these Bally's often you'll find issues with switches due to the little capacitors failing or being cut off. If you have any switch issues that's probably why!
Seriously any issues the forum is great for help, or give me a message 😄

Also this..
(East Anglian league has a meet in Southend in a few months but the rest are probably around an hour from you)
I saw a meet up around that area recently. I couldn't make it but would like to go to a tournament soon. I suck big time though. ha ha

So....It arrived. It is as expected. Everything is there and most of it works as it should. Clearly it needs some work. It has not been cleaned in what seems forever and has almost zero maintenance. Bits of rust wear etc. Good news is that both translites are in very good nick as is all the plastics. It seems to have some mylar over the pac maze that has really taken a pounding and looks like it would need replacing if that is even possible. BUT ALSO.......

Correct me if I am wrong, but what does seem to be good news is that on inspecting the back box I saw that the MPU has been replaced with an Alltek board, so no battery leakage for me. A MyPinballs Squak and Talk board has also been installed. Considering I paid 1k for the game, I think that is a good deal, no?

I am currently getting no sound, but a few connectors are not connected so I am hoping it is just that......I have one pictured that seemed to come lose on opening the back box, but I can't see anywhere it can go on the S&T board.

So, so far so good

Attachments

• PXL_20240228_120033794.jpg
    PXL_20240228_120033794.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20240228_120044370.jpg
    PXL_20240228_120044370.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20240228_120144976.jpg
    PXL_20240228_120144976.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 28
So....It arrived. It is as expected. Everything is there and most of it works as it should. Clearly it needs some work. It has not been cleaned in what seems forever and has almost zero maintenance. Bits of rust wear etc. Good news is that both translites are in very good nick as is all the plastics. It seems to have some mylar over the pac maze that has really taken a pounding and looks like it would need replacing if that is even possible. BUT ALSO.......

Correct me if I am wrong, but what does seem to be good news is that on inspecting the back box I saw that the MPU has been replaced with an Alltek board, so no battery leakage for me. A MyPinballs Squak and Talk board has also been installed. Considering I paid 1k for the game, I think that is a good deal, no?

I am currently getting no sound, but a few connectors are not connected so I am hoping it is just that......I have one pictured that seemed to come lose on opening the back box, but I can't see anywhere it can go on the S&T board.

So, so far so good
Yes, that is the audio cable that is lose. Looks exactly the one from Flash Gordon

Looks like top right based on the orientation of your boards, best to check a schematic before testing or wait for @AlanJ to confirm

Excited for you! 😄
Most pins need some love and that's part of the fun of it.

I saw a meet up around that area recently. I couldn't make it but would like to go to a tournament soon. I suck big time though. ha ha
Was probably our one, it was the first league date.
It's mostly a social thing and noone cares how bad or good you are 😄

looks like that 2 wire connector is the speaker connector hence no sound - connect to top right connector the bottom 2 pins are the speaker connections pins 1&2

trace it back to ensure it is indeed the speaker !

Was the speaker cable. We have sound.
I don't want to ruin the experience as right now it plays like crap, not levelled, some lights not working in the PAC maze (there is another disconnected cable that might solve that) worn rubbers and some LCDs are out. So will start stripping it down and get the novus out (gently) have some Ninja pinballs and drop target decals on route.

It's very much a 'thing' compared to an arcade. everything is real and exists in the laws of physics. Feels like every adjustment makes a difference.

Was the speaker cable. We have sound.
I don't want to ruin the experience as right now it plays like crap, not levelled, some lights not working in the PAC maze (there is another disconnected cable that might solve that) worn rubbers and some LCDs are out. So will start stripping it down and get the novus out (gently) have some Ninja pinballs and drop target decals on route.

It's very much a 'thing' compared to an arcade. everything is real and exists in the laws of physics. Feels like every adjustment makes a difference.

The lights might be dead bulbs, bad sockets, connectors or a board issue (if it's not the cable you're talking about)

Back
Top Bottom