What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All aboard for the Elton John Hype Train.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
Met a lot of my hero’s this weekend but Mr Ritchie is the top of my list.

BTW EJ is not only the most beautiful work of art I have ever seen on a pinball, as steve jobs would say this is the the best playing JJP game ever.
I was continuously asking everyone I met what was their game of the show and Ej was by far the most frequent response.

I had some cracking games on it and would love to own one some point.

IMG_3179.jpeg

Last edited:
Is anyone near London getting one of these? And does anyone know how many will be coming into the UK?
Please check out my other post we have a CE on order but looking to sell as moving house now, we are in Reading

Please check out my other post we have a CE on order but looking to sell as moving house now, we are in Reading
You should probably donate to the forum so you can put up a proper advert with a price and details on whether you have spoken to Phil about if the 2 year warranty and deposit can be transferred to someone else.

You should probably donate to the forum so you can put up a proper advert with a price and details on whether you have spoken to Phil about if the 2 year warranty and deposit can be transferred to someone else.
How do I do that? Phil said he would transfer our allocation, just trying to sort to save logistics

Had the chance to have a couple of days playing this.

I'd have to say the quality of this game is insane, I loved it already but now even more so.

Can't think of a machine that has better theme integration and has more woah factor... When you get Stage Multiball or Shamp Multiball it is mindblowing all the effects going on are truly amazing

Unlike other JJP which are all woah factor and over complex rule sets, JJP has sorted this massively with a rule set that is easy to learn and fun to shoot.

If you're on the fence we'll have one coming to Tilt when they land... But I don't think @philpalmer has many left and I wouldn't want to miss out, there's not a pinball available atm that compares to this.

IMG_1174 Medium.jpeg

Totally agree head and shoulders above all other JJP pins and I’ve had just about all of them.
There was one Jaws LE at TPF and yes it’s a great game but paled into insignificance when you saw and played this.
Everyone was blown away and it only bodes well for future JJP releases if they stick with this winning formula

Seems like the first mods are already being made, this might be of interest as it appears that the leds at the back of the machine aren’t easy to see and these easy to fit clips make it align better, will see how much uk shipping is and let the forum know if anyone is interested as he is getting a quote for the shipping.

Attachments

• IMG_0097.png
    IMG_0097.png
    768.6 KB · Views: 21
Reading on pinside. They say the game doesn’t have many shots and that the ruleset is not very immersive with no real story. Early days on code though.
There’s one angry guy on Pinside who keeps contributing to the EJ thread because he lost money on Godfather. He keeps arguing with people who think their CE will be worth $35k in a few years’ time (and also need to give their head a wobble IMO). There's also a bunch of people who think Stern/JJP are an either/or option.

I borrowed an EJ PE for a month and now have one on order. Layout-wise, it’s a similar deal to Star Trek and Star Wars (same designer), but - in my opinion - slightly better with a more interesting focus on the upper flipper (the same thing that, in my opinion, makes Funhouse so good). There’s no story because it’s a music pin. The code reminds me of how Metallica is played by the average player, i.e. shoot a bunch of flowy shots to qualify a multiball/mini-wizard mode, rinse and move to the next multiball/mini-wizard mode, but with bells on because there are timed modes on the Rock-a-Box, and you can qualify several things at once.

It doesn’t have the ruleset of Jaws, Godzilla or JP2 - it’s doing something different. It’s not focused on timed modes, but is more a modern, complex version of something like Creech, where you’re shooting to get a multiball, but with far more multiballs and mini-modes than Creech. Someone who really doesn’t like older pins due to the code, and only wants to play Spike 2s, won’t like it because it’s not narrative-based. The player isn’t Elton, isn’t doing anything to advance a story, and just gets a score at the end. It’s not as multiball-heavy as Guns n’ Roses on factory settings, but reminds me a bit of Guns ‘n Roses on ‘tournament’ configuration where you’ve got to do a lot of stuff to get to the multiballs.

A bunch of people on Pinside claimed it was super-easy, but a bunch of people on Pinside make similar claims about literally every pin. When I've queried this, they always say “but the pin plays different at home to tournament”, which I assume means “if I set it up with at least 5 balls, outlane posts at max, and the slope of a Dutch polder, I can get to the wizard mode sometimes”. I'm not going to claim to be a great player, but if 'getting bored' of Stern Godzilla because you finished it was a regular occurrence, the super-amazing tournament players we have here in the UK may as well give up. I’ve had EJ in a small tournament and the players we had didn’t get anywhere near ‘finishing it’. I think some people treat modern pins like Baldur’s Gate 3 and want to play through them on easy in ‘story mode’, which is all good - because it’s their machine - but it doesn’t mean everyone sees pinball that way.

I've always fancied a JJP, but they've never crossed the threshold for ownership. I've always enjoyed Steve Ritchie games, but not enough to cross the threshold for ownership. The combination of JJP and Steve Ritchie just worked for me, and it survived a month played daily in our collection.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom