What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 UK Pinball Open and Classics

I think having a couple of hours playtime on them is useful to get the duff ones out of the way. If they don't last the VIP session then they wouldn't have lasted the competition.

Exactly what I was going to say Neil, if they are going to fail then better the night before whilst still time to fix them rather than during the comp.

If a game is going to fail with a breakage after say 50 games then I'd much rather they were 50 games held in the tournament than 50 games in the VIP session. Given previous experience of shows, Daventry, South Coast Slam, etc I'm guessing there will be 1 game in every 4 that I take that will break down (be it a broken switch, broken ramp, sheared screw, wire off, blown fuse (!) or whatever) and will return to SWL broken in some way for repair.

I find it very hard to believe that people will stay up past the VIP closing time in order to repair games for the next day and I will still have to repair games once they're back at SWL out of my own pocket so I standby my original statement that I'd prefer it that the tournament games were left unplayed in the evening session, they are only there for the Open and Classics to save games being pulled from the show floor for the tournaments.

Majority of people who welcome the VIP session play on the tournament games are not in the tournament. The tournament games will receive the most play as they won't be available to play during the day unless you're in the tournament.

Perhaps I'm just worrying about nothing. Fitting 2 lots of 80 tournament players in with the lower number of machines than we've ever used in a tournament in the past... what could possibly go wrong... :tut:

I understand your reasons, Peter. I know machines break down.

There are a few reasons I would like these machines available.

Firstly, there's some cracking games in your collection that you don't see too often. Great for the public to experience. UKPinfest is a public event.

Secondly, I'm paying the transport costs. Like I've said to you repeatedly, if you want to keep them solely for the competition, you're quite welcome to as long as you take care of the transport costs. You've got the venue for free.

Thirdly, it's for those competing to actually learn how to play a game they've never played before/don't know the rules to. You probably know your games inside out. You and others who visit your games room regularly have a significant advantage which I think is grossly unfair. I'd quite happily have the finals machines swapped with those on the floor to even things up a bit.

Well Pete @Wizcat and @waynejohns managed it just fine at NLP tournament last year.
Your games are played loads at swl, I am sure you have maintained em just fine,so apart from the odd issue it'll be fine mate

As I understand it Phil wants the games you bring to be played in the VIP session so that's just the way it is.
I think him requiring that is just and correct imo

If a game is going to fail with a breakage after say 50 games then I'd much rather they were 50 games held in the tournament than 50 games in the VIP session. Given previous experience of shows, Daventry, South Coast Slam, etc I'm guessing there will be 1 game in every 4 that I take that will break down (be it a broken switch, broken ramp, sheared screw, wire off, blown fuse (!) or whatever) and will return to SWL broken in some way for repair.

I find it very hard to believe that people will stay up past the VIP closing time in order to repair games for the next day and I will still have to repair games once they're back at SWL out of my own pocket so I standby my original statement that I'd prefer it that the tournament games were left unplayed in the evening session, they are only there for the Open and Classics to save games being pulled from the show floor for the tournaments.

Majority of people who welcome the VIP session play on the tournament games are not in the tournament. The tournament games will receive the most play as they won't be available to play during the day unless you're in the tournament.

Perhaps I'm just worrying about nothing. Fitting 2 lots of 80 tournament players in with the lower number of machines than we've ever used in a tournament in the past... what could possibly go wrong... :tut:

There are 100+ games at the show if we need a few swap outs for the tournament I’m sure it will figure it out. I’ve got dialed in and a shadow that we can badge as a backup machines for the tourney.

Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can't add dialed in to the tournament, certain people might not have played that before and do really crap on it. Thus possibly runining their chances of being in the final.

:rofl:

It’s easy - imagine swapping out film in a camera in space travelling faster than anyone has travelled before!

Attachments

• 736864FD-D70D-48DA-869E-5C20E9D8F66A.jpeg
    736864FD-D70D-48DA-869E-5C20E9D8F66A.jpeg
    14.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 61AA33A4-0829-4C43-AB66-F784F4D9ADC7.jpeg
    61AA33A4-0829-4C43-AB66-F784F4D9ADC7.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 30
Pinball and competitions are supposed to be fun right?

Something WILL go wrong, it will happen, it always can in anything and invariably will, but surely the people competing know this and take it for what it is, a hobby and a bloomin' good laugh, when I checked there were no professional pinball players, who's performances are wage related.

I know if something goes wrong for me, as someone who is darned grateful for everyone's effort, you won't find me going mad about it, then again, I don't think I am going to win, so maybe it is all relative...

Pinball and competitions are supposed to be fun right?

Something WILL go wrong, it will happen, it always can in anything and invariably will, but surely the people competing know this and take it for what it is, a hobby and a bloomin' good laugh, when I checked there were no professional pinball players, who's performances are wage related.

I know if something goes wrong for me, as someone who is darned grateful for everyone's effort, you won't find me going mad about it, then again, I don't think I am going to win, so maybe it is all relative...

Majority of people are in it for a laugh but there is a good hand full who take it far too seriously...

@Moonraker - I think these two tournaments are oversubscribed, can I get a refund for my two entries please ?

Or is there anyone on here that would like to buy my entries from me ? - Classics 10am, Open 2pm

Ta

They aren’t oversubscribed. I think there is a waitlist tho.

OK. Don't all shout 'D*ck' at once and sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere but out of all the games (fantastic line up), how many do we play in the comp? I'm in the open, classics and league playoffs so it will be a busy weekend. We surely all can't play all?? The normal league meets are about 5 machines.

last year it was matchplay so you play a game with another person (suspect give numbers it will be more than one), you rotate until you've played all(?) and then you get points for each win and loss; if you are high enough you go through to the final.

Neil.

Saturday qualifying: Divided in to groups of 10 for head to play. Top 4 to qualify to the last 32.
Sunday knockout: Last 32 play best of 5 head to head games with loser bracket.

How does a group of 10 work? Even Baywatch can’t handle that...

How does a group of 10 work? Even Baywatch can’t handle that...

Guys, the details are all listed on the webpage you visited to pay to enter the tournament : http://tournaments.pinballnews.com/

Format: Players will be placed into groups of ten and will play a single head-to-head game against each of the nine other members of their group on pre-selected machines. The four players with the most wins will qualify for Sunday's play-offs. If there is a tie for a qualifying place, the results of the qualifying matches between the tied players will be used to break it, or else a single game on a nominated machine.

Last edited:
Cool, thank for the info. Really looking forward to it and it's been a while since we've been back at Daventry.

Back
Top Bottom