What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Zac. Queens Castle EM

Biff

Site Supporter
Alias
****a
I will update this log as I go through the sorting out of this rusty, chewed up EM.

I bought a Zac Queens Castle EM machine over three years ago. It must have been stored in very damp conditions. It had layers of white furry fungus on the inside, loads of rust, even the plastic was rusting J seriously though some of the metal work was that bad that it was stuck to the wood with rust as tight as of it was screwed in!

P1010568.JPG

P1010705.JPG

One area i am treating very seriously is where there was a fair bit of wood worm damage on the bottom board. I say was, because i have no 100% way of knowing that there are no bugs left as they can have around a 5 year lifecycle in the wood alone as larvae... So i am treating it s if they were still there. But i have not seen any fresh ‘fras’ or wood worm poo near any of the holes. By the way, the holes you can see are exit holes, made by the beetle as they mature into adults. They then look for light, food and a mate... Sounds like a Saturday night in town!
P1010702.JPG

By the looks of the pattern I would say that it had been standing up right with the side of the pin exposed to the elements and bugs. Not enough Wood Worm damage to warrant replacement of the board (thankfully still structurally sound) and very little damage elsewhere. No damage to playfield at all below or above - which is good news. Maybe they were hoping for a game...

P1010703.JPG

When i first took it back i painted with wood worm killer (active ingredients kills anything that has or will have more than 2 legs) inside and out, and spent hours injecting all holes using a proper medical syringe and needle. I was frit scared of accidentally stabbing myself with it because i am a clutz, no I said Clutz... Look how deep these sods can go - depth of needle!

P1010704.JPG

P1020633.JPG +

I then stripped the head kit down, triple thicked and touched up the back glass which was not in great shape. I then wire brushed and in some case grinder wheel brushed and then tumbled all the metal work. Then we decided to sell our house and move, so everything went on pause...

P1010558.JPG

P1010562.JPG

About two year later in the new pad, I gave it another coat of killer. My plan is to keep it for 6 – 7 years at least as the Life cyle of the common wood worm is about 5 years as a grub in the wood, so am starting the counter from when i first purchased it and will treat it every year until the 6th year. Then, assuming no fresh holes, i can assume with a high degree of certainty that there is no wood worm left.

3 years later now and i now have time and room to restart the project. Still no fresh signs of wood worm, sawdust nor signs of attacks on my other pins. I gave it yet another two coast of killer last weekend and have bought some Boron, which I will do again when it warms up. This stops there stomach from working so they effectively starve. All they have to do is eat the wood with Boron on J. I have done a fair bit of research on the little dastards they love Damp and hate dryness. It has not been damp since i have purchased it so hopefully any that are left, they will just dye out through lack of damp wood to eat, the pesticide will kill some on contact. Including eggs while the boran will kill and any that slip through the net. I do not plan on moving it on until 7 years and my treatment is complete. That way i can be sure it is fine.

So wood worm aside, i now have a lot of sweet tins with some better looking metal work to assemble.

P1020631.JPG

Oh and by the way i have a league meet round mine in a few weeks... So with that in mind i will deep dive the top and bottom boards only, and leave the play field above and below. For the play field I will just get cleaned up, freed up and gapped so it works okay. When the meet is over, i will then strip the playfield and repeat the cleaning process. Lots of sunken inserts so will have to remove and reseat these later. May also clear coat later as i have a PACman table stripped and ready to clear coast so could get both done at the same time. It just depends how much i damage the playfield when reviewing the rusty knackered wire forms and posts. They have to come out to be sorted out 100% and I know from bitter experience that the posts have a habit of shearing, so really looking forward to that...

Next update will be – completed the refit of the hardware and soldering repairs to the top board, and stripped down of the bottom board ready for tumbling and repairs. Less text too - sorry :)

Last edited:
Part Two

Okay so all wood work has been treated with wood worm inseciticde. nd now also treated iwth special salt that stop their stomach form working. All on the strngth that there may be soem left, although no evdince yet ath there is.

The top box panel is now almost complete. I have a som solder work to do an dthe jones plugs to clean up and the audio baord to sort out and test.

The before shot, lots of rust and stuck parts - treacle was apparently used as a lubricant...: -
P1010572.JPG
I striped all parts, tumbled anything i can get into the tumbler, bigger parts wire brush grinder wheel then hand brushed, then auto solve, split and cleaned all contacts with very small fine wire brushes. These are great for contacts as they do not damage the contacts, do not bend them out of shape and do not drop wisps of conductive brush into the pin - about 3 quid for 3 brushes: a silver, gold and plastic head brush - twice the size of a tooth brush. The plastic one also comes in hand to with alcohol or detergent to clean up non metal parts. Cleaned up any PCBs with wipers blades on them where they contact, added a small amount of synthetic grease to assist motion, all score reals stripped, plastics washed - use sample from John M of washing powder stuff he sent me, it worked well and goes a long way. I still need to clean the lamp holders, solder some broken wires, fix the audio system- busted pot. Metal work is heavily pitted, This thing must have been damp for years to accumulate this much damage.

After:
P1020682.JPG
Little tip when stripping contacts stacks - see close up on following picture and small bits of blue wire. When you remove the first screw/ bolt (there are always two) put a small wire through the hole and tye it off. I have loads of six core intruder alarm cable. I cut about 6 inches off, which then gives me six contacts worth of wire. So that when there are no bolts holding the stack together, you can keep the baker light spacers together and in the right order, so when you add back the tumbled parts it remains the correct height and distance from the moving part that moves the contact. If you do not do this, yo will have gap issues and stuff will not work!

P1010655.JPG
Well that match stepper below would have worked well if i had of powered it up... Don't be afraid to take stuff apart. Take as many pictures form different angles and put the bits in boxes and label the box up. Once you have done one or two, you get the feel for it and then you will just dump all parts in one box. Just don't drop it like i did two years ago. If you do, get your kids to find all the parts and reward with sweets. :)

One tip though, not all wood screes are the same length, do check this when you are taking them out, same with some machine screws. If you forget and are left with short screws and have no idea where the fatter longer ones went, just fill the two holes in the wood with some PVA, snap two or three bits of a cocktail stick and shove the pointed ends into the hole (pointed end first so it fist the tapered profile of the hole that the fatter screw has left) so that the cocktail stick bits are lower than the hole or flush withe the wood. Allow 24 hrs to dry and and you have a new secure bit of wood that will take the smaller screws and hold fast.

P1010661.JPG

You can polish a turd if you remove the rust with a rotary wire brush first, tumble, then hand polish with auto solve.

P1010662.JPG
Si lit bang and the scorch marks form the lamps are gone! We dab of WD 40 on the Tnuts threads also when the machine screws were removed. Will make the job refurb easier in 20 or 30 years time when it has to be done again...

P1020683.JPG

Next time, how do i put back toethor the bottom board after having striped it and celaned it. THe core motor too!

P1020660.JPG
P1020661.JPG
Off to Blakeny in Norfolk for long weekend with Mrs n Kids. The two items above, will be reunited having been cleaned, treated, tumbled etc etc. Hope the Mrs doesn't mind, she shouldn't do right? Could be worse, could be a Norton Dominator engine...

Stay tune for part 3 when i get medievil on the ass of the score moor - a bit like taking chunks of the brain out and putting back in again. Although not that bad so long as you take a few pics and mark things up.

Dirty old score motor, soon have this stripped. The white stuff was mould, also treated this.

P1020658.JPG

P1020665.JPG

just whip those plastic disc off, i am sure they don't do much...P1020674.JPG
A bit of petrol and a pressure washer brought them up a treat...
P1020681.JPG
A few evenings in Blakeney with this bloody lump on my lap. :) New fuse holders, loads if busted wires re soldered. Contacts re gaped, and straightened. Looks like something got dropped on the score motor contacts at some stage as some of them were bent and narled, neither normally nor normally closed - just normally knackered... The wood cleaned up a treat too. If the Mrs asks, you aint seen her curtain, alright!
P1020684.JPG P1020686.JPG
Any way, that's the base board done. Play filed clean up next. Wont be for a week or so though, too much other stuff going on.

:) I am letting it have a rest befor eth leabue meet. By the way, the boys are loving Night Moves. So much so i had to show Daniel how to credit it up. :)

Its alive... Pictures soon.

Playfield is still largely unpopulated, still about 2 - 3 hours work to do on it to rebuild.

But...

Powered it up 3 hours ago for the first time in over 30 years after having stripped it down completely. Stand back with long wooden stick on switch :)

1 open circuit stepper coil for the bonus selection (blown a hole in the side of the paper wrap too!)
1 broken wire on a switch stack for the ball count reset, right at the bottom - than goodness for schematics!
3 duff lamp holders - even rust becomes non conductive when there is only rust left holding it together
1 almost got me chasing my tail easy / hard feature i had to figure out while chasing a fault.

Not bad, for a human!

:)

Looks like QC will be ready for the ball on Sunday :)

JB

Well itis all done and dusted, two days before the meet :)

Even had the mrs helping with some crafty Mylar cutting for new pop bumper MylarsP1020755.JPG
And no, i still havent sorted the kitchen yet... On the plus side the living room, dining room, bedroom and boys bedrooms are all done!!!

:)

Wasn't all plain sailing. All the wooden threaded and some of the ma chin thread posts on the playfiled sheared off when i tried to remove them. So i had to install T nuts and new posts. Also ran out of posts, so have left some of the original ones in to sort out another day.

All 20 of the small inserts on the centre of the playfiled were sunk or lose or both. So popped them out, cleaned the holes up and re glued. I used something by Bostic called "sticks like". It has a 24 hr cure time, is easy to clean up and is gin clear. I think it is an apoxy based glue so is not volatile to the playfiled or inserts.

P1020761.JPG P1020762.JPG P1020763.JPG P1020765.JPG
Inserts were in pretty good order. As they had a number or an arrow on, you have to be pretty OCD about lighning them up. Trick is to not seet them all the way in, live a couple of mm above the playfiled so you can twist slightly with gloved fingers. Or if the insert is tight squeezes, a decent pair of long nose pliers. Do not just push it all the way home. I found using a bit of wood was okay for the final push home, but the insert always went a faction lower than the play filed. Only if i use delicate finger presses above and below the insert could i get it spot bollock on.

Any waym, the boys form delmoney, they say yes...

P1020773.JPG P1020775.JPG

There were a few more minor snags. I would like to do a bit of touch up around some of the inserts where the paint had worn down slightly. Pretty sure more lamp holders will give up the ghost, the 5 and 7 are on their way out. But due to the cost of lamp holders i did not want t just replace them all. Will do on a needs bases. The upper flippers need some more TLC but it is totally playable and back form the grave. Anyone coming to the meet on Sunday will be able to have a play. You will be one of the first people to play on it on over 30 years or so :)

Cheers

JB

I'm looking forward to using the upper flippers to send the ball down the opposite outlane

Wayne, yes. I was doing that a lot yesterday :). Mfresh, thanks for the offer. Sorted now :)

Great thread. Look forward to seeing her in action. Beautiful playfield. I see these coming up on eBay from time to time but know nothing about EMs so daren't take a non worker on.

DRD. Next time you see one just get it mate. Don't pay much more than couple of hundred for a non working garage find. Make sure it has a back box and back glass. Ask one of us, me who ever, on here to check out pictures for you and advise. Zacs, williams Gotleibs are still very well supported with kit and knowledge. Make sure you download the schematic form IPDB. Any problems it has, just check the schematic and look at what should happen. Reading EM schematics is a bit like looking at the matrix at first. Eventuality you will just click though and see th blonds and brunets :). I love them (EM pins not just blonds and brunets) because you don't need expensive kit to work on them or advanced knowledge about the workings of MPUs etc. They are also a slice of history, tha when you bring it back, you know it will be played and enjoyed again. They are eligently simple once you get past the "oh my God how many fecking wires and contacts?" stage :)

Moving to complete. A few tweaks on the upper flippers needed. If i get some tome will strip off the metal work on the underside of the playfiled and derust etc. Now i have a retractable train set table to build for my boys bedroom (counter weighted so when not needed it lifts to the ceiling), loft to insulate and board, shed and fence to paint, bench to refit, another bench to oil, hall stairs and landing to redecorate, window to re insulate and plasterboard. Do yo know what, i think i can squeeze another EM referb in there wheresoever so will set myself a deadline of getting my Zac Ski Jump sorted for NLP :) Which means i shoudl be able to bring 5 EMs with me. :)

Back
Top Bottom