What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For Sale Flipper Cooling units

Wayne J

Site Supporter
Alias
WWJ
Finally, after months of design, testing, redesign, testing, redesign and further testing the flipper cooling units are now ready for sale.

Each set consists of
a pair of heatsink/fan units with clips
an extension lead
power loom
and cable ties.

20221118_215446.jpg

The units fit over the flipper coils and take 5V power from the node board by the tilt bob.
They work with all Spike 2 (LCD) Sterns.

They prevent the coils from over heating and providing consistency in both power and timing when flipping, especially when the machine is played for any length of time. I've noticed a difference after as little as 5 minutes playing.

The price is just £50 per set (plus £5 P+P).

Not surprisingly in the 18 months since I first made these, prices have gone up significantly - so the price of the final product has also had to go up unfortunately. Now £65 per set (will keep postage the same, even though that's risen above £5 now)

If you want a set, pm me your address, and I'll give you details on how you can pay.

Last edited:
This could be a dumb question Wayne- Do these work for a SAM game (namely WPT?) or is it just Spike 2? I’ve noticed my flippers struggle after long games and have set mine to 5 balls to try and see everything. Can get through all modes, poker hands and mini wizard but not cities still

This could be a dumb question Wayne- Do these work for a SAM game (namely WPT?) or is it just Spike 2? I’ve noticed my flippers struggle after long games and have set mine to 5 balls to try and see everything. Can get through all modes, poker hands and mini wizard but not cities still
They are designed to take power from the node board (not sure that's possible for WPT) BUT the extension cable allows that I'd it could be taken out of the cabinet (through a vent in the bottom?) they could be powered with any 5v 2a plug from Amazon, or the like. (That's how I've been testing them before installing)

Last edited:
Pro job. Is it because the coils aren't dual wound that you only see this with Sterns?

The units will fit any flipper coil, you just need to find power (5v) which should be available somewhere on every game

Yeah but you don't get £20 worth of packaging and a pair of signed snips :D ( what a waste of money ).
Exactly this, I won't knock the Pinmonk fans, they do the job (almost as well as these), but I don't see the point in spending money on something that's going to get thrown straight in the bin

Is the heatsink flexible? I'm just wondering how it fits all coils?
There's a little bit of flex in the heatsinks, but it is the clips to the cover which is the thing that truly allows these to be fitted to any coil - and also which caused the most headaches in design

Pro job. Is it because the coils aren't dual wound that you only see this with Sterns?
As Nick said, other manufacturers suffer from the same.
You must remember the numerous vids of people playing LotR with the coin door wedged open and a desktop fan wedged in there in the hope of getting to Valinor? 🤣

I'd say BoP and BK2000 also suffer significantly from the same issue.

These will work on any flipper coil, it's just a matter of getting a 5v feed, currently these have an adaptor to a Stern Spike 2 (as they're the only machines I have) but hope to get adaptors made for any machine in the future.
There's no reason why you couldn't make up an adaptor to take feed yourself, using crocodile clips if necessary. (It just looks a bit Heath Robinson).

Unboxing day today for me, what more can I say than I’m very impressed with the quality of this kit from @Wayne J, will give feedback once fitted to a pin,

Attachments

• 33F023CB-F8B3-47AF-B5ED-3C60FA8D6F87.jpeg
    33F023CB-F8B3-47AF-B5ED-3C60FA8D6F87.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 9519B691-F45B-4D72-A350-D99CCC1AF3DB.jpeg
    9519B691-F45B-4D72-A350-D99CCC1AF3DB.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 829F0403-1F1A-49F5-9F41-1B1D2B3DED0E.jpeg
    829F0403-1F1A-49F5-9F41-1B1D2B3DED0E.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 134
Anyone considering buying a set, I will be at Neil's comp on Sunday, so can bring some sets with me. I'll only have a few, as there are 100 fan units currently sat in customs :-(

I've borrowed BK:SOR Pro for the last few weeks from @Sam C . During that time I fitted a set of the flipper cooling units Sam bought.

I was amazed at the difference they made! The main difference being that although I never had any difficulty hitting the ramp, I was able to backhand the lock from a return down the right inlane almost every time. The difference was chalk and cheese which surprised me.

Which just goes to prove the difference they make, not just for making steep ramps, or long shots such as on GZ or AIQ.

It's getting returned this weekend, and now needs 1 Billion to make the high score table - sorry Sam 😁

I've borrowed BK:SOR Pro for the last few weeks from @Sam C . During that time I fitted a set of the flipper cooling units Sam bought.

I was amazed at the difference they made! The main difference being that although I never had any difficulty hitting the ramp, I was able to backhand the lock from a return down the right inlane almost every time. The difference was chalk and cheese which surprised me.

Which just goes to prove the difference they make, not just for making steep ramps, or long shots such as on GZ or AIQ.

It's getting returned this weekend, and now needs 1 Billion to make the high score table - sorry Sam 😁

Having had Wayne's GZ with them on in return I can definitely tell the difference between a game with and without them on.

Not quite as successful as Wayne but I managed to put a game of over 2 billion which I was very happy with!

Having had Wayne's GZ with them on in return I can definitely tell the difference between a game with and without them on.

Not quite as successful as Wayne but I managed to put a game of over 2 billion which I was very happy with!
Reset high score is your friend Sam 😂

Just got another batch of fans made up and ready to go.

Anybody who doesn't want to have to pay for postage, I'll be down at Neil's comp just before Easter (as well as delivering some of the ball and bolt carriers)

Just installed a set of these in my GZ had a couple of longish games 1.5bil and 1.8bil. So around 45/60mins playing time. Wow these are awesome and well worth the money.

Install was simple, even for a pin numpty like me and they’ve made a huge difference. No longer do I need to adjust the timing on the ramps after playing for a while and definitely less rejects from both ramps.
It’s it me or will this make live catches easier as well? Felt like I did.

These are a must buy IMO.

Cheers Alan

Anybody wanting to order any of the flipper cooling units, let me know which machine you intend to fit them to - and I'll see if I have a themed keyring I can throw in FOC.

Attachments

• 20230523_225937.jpg
    20230523_225937.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230523_000830.jpg
    20230523_000830.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230522_162523.jpg
    20230522_162523.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230521_015357.jpg
    20230521_015357.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230520_232515.jpg
    20230520_232515.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230520_190421.jpg
    20230520_190421.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230520_190432.jpg
    20230520_190432.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 12
With the increase in temperature recently (and the start of The Ashes) it can only mean that both Swavesey and Pinfest are fast approaching, the two biggest pinball shows of the year. :D

Why not ensure that your flippers don't experience fade due to build up of heat in the coils with lots of play and order and fit some Flipper Cooling Units?

Anyone ordering a set (or more) who is also pledging a (Stern LCD) game to either show I will give a 10% discount, reducing the price to £45 per set.

Reactions: Jib
So much quieter than the pinmonk fans and cheaper too. Even if your games aren’t very long, if you play a few in a row I think flipper fans are the best mod you can get.

Anybody wanting to order any of the flipper cooling units, let me know which machine you intend to fit them to - and I'll see if I have a themed keyring I can throw in FOC.
Hey Wayne,
Found you through Gonzo's video, and would love to purchase a set for my Godzilla premium machine!

Hi Wayne, any good for a Ghostbusters Pro?
I'm not sure.

As power is taken from CN2 board next to the coin door.

I don't have a GB to hand to check what's in there.

You'd need to find a 5v power source from somewhere, once you can connect to that you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom