What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WPC95 - flipper opto board problem, or something else?

cooldan

i like pizza
WPC95 Medieval Madness - a two flipper game - was reporting a credit dot that said R upper flipper switch wasn't working. WTF? there's no upper flippers. suspecting the opto board, i swapped L and R boards over.

indeed the problem now switched to the left, so i decided i was right, it was this board mounted by the cabinet flipper button. the good side (now R) when you press the cab flipper button in switch edge test, shows two switches activated; the bad side (now L) only had one activating. i established that it was the upper of the two U-shaped optos that was playing up by interrupting it with some plastic, and decided that must be bad. so i desoldered it and replaced it with another 5-legged U-shaped opto from my spares box. i did some reading, and learned about the unobtainium 0.0086 variety of this U-shaped opto, but i also read someone say that it didn't matter if it was the unused opto you were replacing.

opto replaced ....... no change. then i wondered if it might be one of the two resistors in the middle of this little opto board that had gone, so i measured them both with my DMM (same), and reflowed the solder to be sure.

and now ......no change. except maybe - i'm not certain this was new - but now it activated one switch on *pressing* the button (moves the plastic out of the the space between opto transmitter and receiver) and the other on *releasing* the button (interruptor moves back into the gap, blocking the opto beam).

wtfplane.gif

up to now i think i had the coin door open the whole time, now i closed it and the L flipper coil locks on. if i remove the connector from the opto board, now it doesn't.

so what's up, is it just a ****ed opto board? written on the board is 5768-14577-01, whereas the manual says it should be A-17316, are these interchangeable? i might have a spare A-17316 board somewhere, but first can someone reassure me that it's the board that's at fault, and not something somewhere else i'm missing, like a diode somewhere remote, or even a fuse?

thank you for reading this far

gif lotr frodo stung by shelob wtf.gif

5 legs, 3 on one end and 2 on the other so it was oriented the same as the one I just took out: the end with 3 legs was pointed towards the bit of board with 3 holes :)

I'm gonna try to find my spare A17316 board and just hope that sorts it out. In case not, has anyone got spares for sale? I see new ones available on the web if not......

Back
Top Bottom