What's new

WPC / WPC95 Capacitors

Monkeyboypaul

Site Supporter
Alias
Paul G
A technical advice request if you're willing to help:

Looking to renew the larger 20yr old capacitors on a couple of my WPC games.

i.e.
WPC 15,000µF 25v
WPC95 10,000µF 35v

Looking on Onecall/Farnell:
http://onecall.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=9452818
http://onecall.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=9452869

Are these capacitors suitable?

Some are rated 2000hrs @ 85°C (those linked above), others 3000hrs @ 85°C.
I assume a better hours rating generally means a better built capacitor?

Cheers,
Paul.

With power capacitors, the ripple rating is also very important, but yes also go for the highest lifetime in hours.

Also buy a better brand such as Panasonic or Rubycon, not multicomp

As an example, this is what I would buy for the 15,000uf 25v

http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/ecos1ea153da/cap-alu-elec-15000uf-25v-snap-in/dp/1198542

It has a higher temperature rating (2000h at 105degrees) which means that if the cap is run at a lower temperature, the life will likely be exponentially longer, the lower the actual temperature is than the rated temperature.
Also this one has a good 3.6amp ripple rating, and would be considered a significantly better brand

thanks Luke.

So a lower Ripple rating is better?

e.g. your suggestion is 3.6A, my original suggestion 5.1A.

That's a negatory. Higher ripple current rating is better.

The 5.1a specified for the multicomp one is incorrect (it's a max under ideal conditions) the datasheet contains various multiplication factors based on temperature/mouting/frequency etc.

The 3.6A Panasonic one is definitely fine for your application :)

That's a negatory. Higher ripple current rating is better.

The 5.1a specified for the multicomp one is incorrect (it's a max under ideal conditions) the datasheet contains various multiplication factors based on temperature/mouting/frequency etc.

The 3.6A Panasonic one is definitely fine for your application :)

As above... they are badger **** chongx style caps. Which should be fine in this application, but for a couple of extra quid you might as well use quality components.

I do understand what Luke is going on about and he is right. But as a caveat modern components are many times better than those fitted 20 or 30 years ago. The original caps on my Bally voltage regulator board had a service life of no more than ten years with lower tolerances and lower operating margins. Modern replacements knock 'em for six. I've been very happy with brands such as Vishay in both general and power electronics. When you're a tight **** like me saving a 10p, 20p, 50p or even a couple of quid per cap can quickly add up to a fair amount ;)

Seriously, it's not worth saving 10p on a cap.

I still have machines I repaired 13-14 years ago, and I have seen caps fail a 2nd or 3rd time (particularly in videogame monitors) when I have used cheap brands or ebay caps.

I've never had a single re-failure of a Panasonic cap and I must have gone through a couple of thousand of them

Rubycon would be my second choice, Nichicon or Nippon Chemicon would by third

I hear you, Luke! Sorry, I wasn't playing devil's advocate or silly buggers just for the hell of it ;)

I should have been a bit clearer, but when I start using phrases like "application specific" I find most most eyes just glaze over - like when I accidentally started explaining to my wife today the fundamentals of broadband internet technology when she asked "How did you fix it?" :eek:

So for a demanding application like caps in an old CRT TV then good quality ones are important. Panasonic are known quality brand so maybe worth spending a bit more - but I'd be just as happy substituting that Panansonic ECOS1EA153DA with a Cornell Dubilier SLP153M025C4P3 (respected old US-made brand, big with audiophiles!) that has identical specs (15000uF, 25V, 20%, +105 C, 3000h, 3.6A, 0.040ohm) but is only £1.99 instead of £3.43. In this instance if it was only 10p then no-brainer, but £1.44 per cap (about +75%) is significant.

PS. I just checked my order from Mouser UK and I used Nichicon caps to replace C23 and C26 on my Bally AS-2518-22 A3 VOLTAGE REGULATOR MODULE. Quality!

Anyone got a source for Panasonic 15,000uF 35v 105deg caps? they seem to be discontinued.

Found some Nichicon's here:

https://www.mouser.co.uk/Nichicon/P...0wqttZ1z0x3qcZ1z0z80hZ1yx4atvZ1z0vhz5Z1z0zlbm
You can always use a higher voltage in place of an older capacitor - voltage ratings on capacitors are more of a 'peak' rating. You only need to be careful with capacitance, ESR values, peak temperature etc.

The reasons to buy capacitors down to a minimum voltage ratings are that of cost, and size - and modern-day capacitors of all types are much, much smaller than older ones, so you will find that you have a lot more physical space for a higher-voltage-rated capacitor.

Ta.

That 35mm diameter might be a problem as the originals are 30mm.

I've also just stumbled on 9x Panansonic 15,000 25v 105deg in a random drawer, which is useful... and 5 BRs.
Unless clearance is an issue it shouldn't be that much of a problem? I can't see it affecting soldering all that much.

RS Onlines search tool is good for cap selection, how about this one
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminium-capacitors/2087239/
Ooh. German parts, nice. Only issue with that one is max. temp 85C. I know, 85C isn't something pinball should be seeing, but the proverbial can happen, especially on Williams boards, and with capacitor life almost doubling per 10C cooler than the maximum rating... perhaps just splitting hairs :D

Back
Top Bottom