What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wpc WCS switch issue

Carl85

Registered
Alias
Carl85
Hi guys, got a few switches out on WCS, can’t seem to find anything and wondered if anyone had any ideas. The switches are out and not working on switch test are,

extra ball button
Slam tilt (door & cabinet)
Coin door closed

They are all in the same column but only those ones are out,

Any ideas would be great
Thanks
9a4448c31e7db94f2283d05573ab35e7.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I swapped the board with the shadows to cancel that out and was the same. Have re soldered all the switches to be sure and also swapped each one with known working ones from another game. Still nothing. Was thinking a transistor at first but wouldn’t make sense with the other switches in the column working. Strange one.

Try closing the switch col/row at the connector end using a jumper cable, and then again with the connector off on the pins to eliminate everything board side. My guess is a bad IDC connection.

No it hasn’t, sorry just at work. I will swap them over tonight but it has had work done in the past

Please put up a picture of the battery area of the MPU as this is a typical first sign of battery corrosion. Just so we can rule that out before delving further...!

9b9544abe7b337eb140a019b43b59d6d.jpg
1a518923708e13004135a21bf817b23e.jpg
Only pics I have at the minute, but Dow’s have some jumper wires. I will check j212 as that looks to be the one for the buttons. I know the board was only repaired very recently so hopefully just a dodgy connection or there not on properly

I'd recommend a new board. If you're really lucky the wiring housing connector pins have not been affected.

I'd recommend a new board. If you're really lucky the wiring housing connector pins have not been affected.

Thanks, yeah I know. I will pop it out this evening and try and clean it up a bit. Hats the best way, alcohol?

Thanks, yeah I know. I will pop it out this evening and try and clean it up a bit. Hats the best way, alcohol?

Done properly you will need to remove all the affected components, clean the traces with sandpaper then neutralise the battery corrosion 50% water 50% white vinegar. Then repopulate the board. Quicker, easier and more cost effective buying a new board, hence my supplying a link for a new board.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Repairing_Alkaline_Corrosion

Affected components inside the red square ought to be changed with traces cleaned, etc.
inside the yellow circle at the very minimum to prevent this and other problems.

Board Repair.jpg

Cool. Will see what it’s like later. Hopefully can get it going for now. Atleast I know it’s the problem if it’s that

Was definitely mpu board, taken it out and the pins were very corroded. Sanded all the pins on the board and cleaned as best I could. Everything now works. Hopefully it will hold out. If not will have to get a new one. But will see if this one holds out first [emoji1696]

Nasty board unfortunately. I’d also be looking at sorting the J212 cabinet connector properly to. Not sure what’s going on there. Proper headers are not expensive either.

Back
Top Bottom