What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WPC Ribbon Cables

Widnesbernie

Site Supporter
I have tried to replace the ribbon cables in my Getaway.
They are the WPC 1990 - 1994 set.
When I install them the DMD shows rubbish some of the insert lighting goes out and the back ramp sticks down not even activating with the ball search.
When I put the old cables back everything is fine. The only cable I have been able to use is the DMD one.
It has a Pinled replacement MPU, but the original cables work ok with it.
Does this sound like the kind of thing that would happen with WPC95 ribbon cables?
How can I tell the difference between the two variations?

Check Pin alignment, also replacing ribbons is half the battle. Make sure the pins on the headers are clean. You can use a Q-TIp (Cotton bud) and some isoprophyl alchohol to clear the crap off the pins to ensure a good connection.

The red line was the right way up.
Tried several times, always ok with the originals, always no good with the new ones.
The 4 connector one seems to be the one that cocks up the dmd.
Dont know which of the others was connected to each problem, the frustration had kicked in by then. Also heart in mouth in case of getting the connection wrong with all the swapping around.

I've just replaced the ribbon cable in mine - first check at lunchtime & was happy the sound was back. Tried it this evening & the flippers didn't work. The new cable needs a fairly hefty push to get on properly - heftier than I had given it anyway. OK now, but when I was reseating my old one I misaligned it so it was a whole row out, not just 2 end pins & saw some pretty weird behaviour. This is what I ordered from Pinball Heaven.

1694549329150.png

I've just replaced the ribbon cable in mine - first check at lunchtime & was happy the sound was back. Tried it this evening & the flippers didn't work. The new cable needs a fairly hefty push to get on properly - heftier than I had given it anyway. OK now, but when I was reseating my old one I misaligned it so it was a whole row out, not just 2 end pins & saw some pretty weird behaviour. This is what I ordered from Pinball Heaven.

View attachment 231622
Thanks stewart.
I bought the set of 4 from Pinball Heaven. Looks like I will have to try again. They felt like they had pushed all the way home, will have to give them some more umph!!!
It just seemed strange that it worked whenever I put the old ones back in.

I know 2 people locally with a wpc89.
It would obviously be dependent on them being willing to risk upsetting their machine.

Tried them earlier this evening in another Getaway.
They would not work in that one either.
Will have to get in touch with PH.

Back
Top Bottom