What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WPC resets?

ronnie63

Site Supporter
5Years
My DW has started to reset during a game! Mostly at first power up and whilst both flippers pressed, now I know about the 5v bridge etc, I was getting 4.9 at first power up and after being on this crept up to 5.016, I looked at the transformer plugs and the one with all the yellow wires is a bit yellowed. J115 is slightly yellow at one side (GI?) but not melted in any way.

Not sure to go for a 5v rebuild for starters? open to any suggestions?

THanks Ronnie

Have you done the usual re-seat of connectors? Particularly the one that takes power across from the large power/driver board to the mpu board?

I have done J115 along with the transformer plugs etc, will look at that one, cheers

I have 5 in my collection J.D and H20 started doing the same cutting out and a few years ago so did my T.Z
any plug that shows signs of burn or yellowing just change it, it not worth the hassle of keep wiggling it and wondering is it ok.
I changed all the caps 15000 mf x5 everyone read low on my meter also there are 3 other caps which I also changed only because they are 30 years old and capacitors just don’t last forever, the regs underneath the heatsink I replaced them as part of a mass component change if you do the same then remember to use heat compound.

since doing any plugs that look burnt, capacitors and the regs in a mass change they have been rock solid.

I’ve since done the same to all my machines before they went wrong and was surprised that the capacitors read so bad on my meter, how the others worked I don’t know.
Also in lockdown i changed every single capacitor on all the other boards as they were so cheap to buy and again loads were very low on the meter.

Do remember these boards are double sided print, good soldering skills are needed if your good at soldering then this mass change is well worth doing and will cure your fault.

Alan

I have 5 in my collection J.D and H20 started doing the same cutting out and a few years ago so did my T.Z
any plug that shows signs of burn or yellowing just change it, it not worth the hassle of keep wiggling it and wondering is it ok.
I changed all the caps 15000 mf x5 everyone read low on my meter also there are 3 other caps which I also changed only because they are 30 years old and capacitors just don’t last forever, the regs underneath the heatsink I replaced them as part of a mass component change if you do the same then remember to use heat compound.

since doing any plugs that look burnt, capacitors and the regs in a mass change they have been rock solid.

I’ve since done the same to all my machines before they went wrong and was surprised that the capacitors read so bad on my meter, how the others worked I don’t know.
Also in lockdown i changed every single capacitor on all the other boards as they were so cheap to buy and again loads were very low on the meter.

Do remember these boards are double sided print, good soldering skills are needed if your good at soldering then this mass change is well worth doing and will cure your fault.

Alan

Cheers Alan, when you say reg's do you Rectifiers?, Yes I have done a few also over the years! My soldering is not bad so will be looking to do that or refurb one of the spare driver boards I have.

Cheers Ronnie

Hi Ronnie have you checked for any voltage drop across to the CPU, I take a reading from C31?

Cheers Alan, when you say reg's do you Rectifiers?, Yes I have done a few also over the years! My soldering is not bad so will be looking to do that or refurb one of the spare driver boards I have.

Cheers Ronnie
I always shortened the word rectifiers to Reg's sorry that's an old habit in my TV and video repair days, been out of the trade for 16 years.
Cheap capacitor meter on Ebay will confirm you have done the right thing with them capacitors. The new rectifiers have longer legs letting more airflow through them.
Pinball heaven and pinball mania sell them all the other capacitors I got on Ebay

I always shortened the word rectifiers to Reg's sorry that's an old habit in my TV and video repair days, been out of the trade for 16 years.
Cheap capacitor meter on Ebay will confirm you have done the right thing with them capacitors. The new rectifiers have longer legs letting more airflow through them.
Pinball heaven and pinball mania sell them all the other capacitors I got on Ebay
All the capacitors apart from 15000 mf

Back
Top Bottom