What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wpc red hot connector j115, scorched j121

DRD

Registered
5Years
My 1990 funhouse is one the first of the wpc generation of games.

The game works, but has an extremely hot J115 connector, the plug is quite scorched as per the photo. The really hot pin then goes to one of the gi power transistors with the huge heat sinks on

image.jpg

J121 is gi and also a bit scorched. So i guess that leds will take some of the problem away here ?

image.jpg

Do people know what might be causing this and what the cure might be

Thanks

My thoughts are that the header pins have become so hot in the past they have corrosion on them causing high resistance. Replace the header pins and put a new connector on and it will probably sort it.

Reactions: DRD
Didn't they change J115 to a higher temperature resistant black connector in later WPC machine because of this?

No doubt was caused by being switched on all day while on site. Wouldn't have happened with LED's.

Doesn't look to bad to me , I have seen a lot worse.
Change both connecters and in the home use environment it will be fine.
Common fault for a operated machine turned on all day.

As others have said it's normal. Make sure to replace the header when replacing the cable housings. Also make sure to use trifurcon pins on the cable side. If you use those, under home use conditions, it is unlikely to happen again

Thanks for the tips. I removed the board. Reflowed solder on all the pins. Cleaned all pins with fine wet and dry paper.

Replaced the single brown female pin in the fried connector with a spare as a temp replacement. Running much cooler now

Where is cost effective to buy the trifurcon female connectors, plastic housing and board pins pls ? I have the crimping tool

How do you manage to solder them on both sides pls ?

Get some nice molex connectors on there :)

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom