What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

world cup soccer 94 - does the ball do anything ?

johnthehappyguy

Registered
hi,

I have played a WCS 94 a few times, and think it is a great game.

The machine has an (almost ) full size plastic rotating football - the one I have played is a bit worn, and it spins very fast.

The idea is that the pinball bounces off the spinning football. I presume in a different direction

However the spinning football does not seem to do anything different whether it spins or not.

Have I just been unlucky - on other WCS 94 machines does the spinning fopotball have a greater impact ?

thanks, john

The football imparts spin to the pinball as well as making it change direction. With an unworn ball the effect is much more pronounced than on older machines so you do get the pinball flying off in different directions. With older footballs (like the one on my WCS) it's more that it puts spin on the pinball which takes effect when it hits other things. I've had it where the pinball has spun up a raised flipper and drained because of the football. You'll also find that machines where the football has been replaced with a repro don't do as much due to a harder type of rubber being used in the repro footballs.

NOS footballs will give loads more bounce and spin than a worn original but finding one is very difficult in my experience. They're very rare and when they do appear (sometimes in the US) they cost a fortune.

johnthehappyguy' date=' post: 1663716 said:
hi,

I have played a WCS 94 a few times, and think it is a great game.

The machine has an (almost ) full size plastic rotating football - the one I have played is a bit worn, and it spins very fast.

The idea is that the pinball bounces off the spinning football. I presume in a different direction

However the spinning football does not seem to do anything different whether it spins or not.

Have I just been unlucky - on other WCS 94 machines does the spinning fopotball have a greater impact ?

thanks, john

Sounds like you need a new football.

Thanks ronsplooter for your very informative reply I had not considered ithat it adds spin to the pinball - but it makes sense now.

Alas, the machine is not mine, but the owner has been kind enough to let me play it.

best regards , john

around the bottom of the football should be tape that moves the ball, it might be that your ball is in good shape but it's worn this out. You could replace this with some grip tape http://www.skatehut.co.uk/acatalog/Scooter_Grip_Tape.html

which should impart some force on the ball again. You'll have to cut it to size but for a fiver it's not the end of the world and a massive saving on a new ball.

around the bottom of the football should be tape that moves the ball, it might be that your ball is in good shape but it's worn this out. You could replace this with some grip tape http://www.skatehut.co.uk/acatalog/Scooter_Grip_Tape.html

which should impart some force on the ball again.

Thats a great idea Phil
smile-1.png
I don't think the original machines come with tape around the bottom of the ball (from looking at the various pics I've seen) but as a cheap fix that would be perfect. They don't have white tape but there is a clear one so I might get hold of this and see if it makes any difference to my machine.

I've hardly played WCS, how do people rate it? Worth buying one? What do they go for?

Matt Vince' date=' post: 1676584 said:
I've hardly played WCS, how do people rate it? Worth buying one? What do they go for?

World Cup 94 , Great machine, Rate it high. "Worth buying" ? Hell yeh, "What do they go for? " Who knows in this time of crazy prices.

WCS is an awesome game, although I would say that as I own one
smile-1.png
I would definitely recommend buying one.

Back
Top Bottom