What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Work in progress - Slight corrosion

Can I ask Luke what make is a good soldering iron as I've got a cheap ish one it does job,but not always a neat job,where and what is a decently priced ,good iron?

Metcal and JBC are the only 2 decent makes of soldering iron in my opinion. They are entirely different technologies to conventional irons. It's hard to understand from reading about them. What sold me on getting my first Metcal was when someone gave me one to try and told me I'd never be able to use a normal iron again, and they were right.

The entry level Metcal SP200 can be picked up for £200-£250 new or about £100 used (and there are equivelant JBC in the same price band) I still have my first SP200 in my toolbox. It's old and battered looking now, but it's worked flawlessly for years.

Although Metcal and JBC use different technologies, they both achieve similar results. The real different is when you place the iron onto a large thermal load (such as soldering large wires, or a heatsink etc) there is no delay, the iron does not need time to heat up, it delivers its full power instantaneously on demand (It's more visible on my MX5000 as it has a bargraph that shows the percentage power output and you can see how quickly it responds) which results in a shorter soldering time, so less chance of damage to components, less change of de-laminating pads/tracks and a more consistent solder finish.

Feel free to have a mess about with one of my Metcals sometimes if you want

Add :-

An ASIC
CPU
ROM
An NVRAM module
Security Chip
74LS14
74LS08
2x 74LS240
74HC574

IMG_20140416_004439 (Medium).jpg

And it powered up and booted fine first time on the bench!

Next step is to try it in a real machine :)

Nice setup!

Only question is howcome you don't work on an ESD mat?

I hate the mats, so I varnish the surface of my desk with a polymer coating containing 3M Ionic FC4400 and then the clamp in the corner of the desk is earthed. The only problem is the coating needs to be re-applied every few months as it gets scratched up by PCB's

Go on... show us your sillyscope!

We need pics.

My sillyscopes are not exciting sorry, they are analog, as I find them much more useful for the signals you will encounter on 70's to 90's technology videogames and pinball machines

Back
Top Bottom