What's new

Woody Wood Worm Q

Biff

Site Supporter
Alias
****a
Hi

I have an old EM that had wood worm a long time ago. When i got it there was no 'Worm signs' no spice nether... Never the less i treated as if it was infested, over a three year period a with various killing chemicals and stuff to prevent the buggers from breeding and digesting the wood.

Any way. The board on the underside of the pin is riddled with old holes. It is not load bearing, just realy there to stop stuff falling out and hands getting in.

I would like to remove it and replace, but I cannot remove it as it is fixed into the four sides, so was wondering if i could uses a thin two part clear, solid setting resin and and poor it on the top, then again the underside to fill in the holes and put some strength back into it so at least it does not sound like a bag of crisp every rime it flexes :).

9issing in the wind?

Cheers

JB

To fill the holes, cosmetically, I'd use a basic wood filler and then sand the underside.
As it can't be removed, I'd cut a piece of ply to the internal dimensions of the cabinet and screw and glue that to the existing board to provide strength.

Cheers Wayne, was just looking to see if there was any precedence of a short cut by filling the holes. If the holes get filled then my thoughts were that some of the strength comes back. But yes if i have to will do as you suggest, or worse try and get the cab apart.

IMG_20180201_195517051.jpg
I take it the base is loose (bottom of cab ) and the fillets have come away from the base .
So there is a few ways to put back the strength back into the cab ,but it all depends in have much you want to get your hands dirty ..

1 . Glue in more larger fillets around the base .
2 . Knock off all the existing fillets and replace with larger one but this time make it continuous around the base.
3. Chisel off the housing joint from the under side of the cab all away round ,as shown above .By doing this you will be able to flick out the base and complete renew it . Be careful as this will make the hole cab really wobbly and it will fall apart on you !!
You can just then replace the base with a square edge piece of plywood glued and nailed in place and finally glue in a timber bead all a way round to build it back up to the line of the sides of the cab !!

PS sorry I couldn't get down to yours on Sunday , hopefully see you all soon !

Hi mate. Been a long while! Hope your looking after the diner your going to one day sell me

Nothing loose mate, just full of holes

Hi mate. Been a long while! Hope your looking after the diner your going to one day sell me

Nothing loose mate, just full of holes
Yep ! It's now had a little move ,to the main games room next to TAF ;)

Are got you ! You could fill it or glue on 1/8" ply on the base , it all depends how many holes you need to fill and the time it will take :)

Back
Top Bottom