What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Woodworking help

Slamtilt

Registered
Hi,
I am thinking of remaking the lightboard to my Bally Xenon, as it is warped and riddled with woodworm. It has been treated, but it is starting to split apart.
I know nothing about plywood, or woodworking, can anyone recommend a plywood that I can get here in the Uk that would be similar or better than the original?
Cheers, Dom
IMG_20200701_171921.jpg

I'd use Ply myself as it's better wood. Bear in mind if you can actually get some at a B&Q you're looking at metric equivalent and that's not exactly the same.
It's close but for example B&Q sells 18mm ply that's 1mm narrower than 3/4" for example.

Rough cut it and router the edges with it clamped together.

hey thanks all for your help! I'm not going to use mdf, I want to find something close to original, but worried that the stuff b&Q sells is crap!!
I have never used a router, might have to buy one as I don't think drilling and using a jigsaw is going to give a good enough result.

I'd def use ply rather than MDF. The most weather/climate resistant in my experience is marine ply or also otherwise also referred to as WBP ply. Various grades of ply depending on how uniform you want the finished side but this isn't a real problem if being painted and/or decaled). I don't know where you live but also see if you've got a timber/building supplies company close to you as ply isn't that expensive in the context of a decent Pin and many will cut a sheet down to spec for you.

but worried that the stuff b&Q sells is crap!! I have never used a router, might have to buy one....

Get a used router if need be and bear in mind collet / chuck size. Also not all their timber is bad. Some IS crap but if the batch is reasonable sort through for reasonable piece.
Of course if you have a timberyard nearby then use that. They've all about disappeared round by me and I end up using B&Q. Not through choice....

If you want to keep it all original like , them it's 7 layers 3/4" (18mm ) marine ply , now bear in mind modern ply is crap . You can use 18mm MDF but that will add a lot of weight and strain when opening that display panel to gain access to the boards at the back . I would use plywood even though I know it's crap . Plywood has two sides to it ,one side is good and the other is not so good .work on the best side as front .Mark out on both sides , top side in pencil and the under side use a Stanley knife , this will stop the grain from splitting when using a hand saw . To cut the lamp holes use auger bits ,drill so far untill the point is felt on the underside ,then flip it over and dill from that side so it meat's in the middle. To cut out the hole for the displays , drll holes in the four corners and use a jigsaw to complete the job , personally I would use a new handsaw for this job myself as it gives me a straighter cut ,but for you use the Jigsaw and a dremel to smooth it out Make note when using a jigsaw as which way it cuts ,there is a upwards cut blade and a downward cut blade , so that would mean if you are using a upwards cutting blade them Mark out with the knife on the topside ( face side) . hope this helps a bit ;)

Defo marine ply. MDF is pretty horrid to cut as well (dust wise) ! It you go to a builders merchants and ask them - they may have an off cut and maybe if you buy the 'cutter' man a drink he may cut it to size for you nice and neatly......

Back
Top Bottom