What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Williams Comet lock-up

Great68

Registered
Hi all.
I have finally got round to fixing a Comet i was given 8 odd years ago and has sat in my garage. I got it after a phone call from a friend "your into jukebox's, machines and stuff, do you want my pinball , it has to go today"
I went round there and i could not believe that he had smashed the top display off and cut through every single cable. When i pointed out the nuts, hinges & plugs on the looms he shrugged his shoulders and said, well do you want it or not.
I rebuilt the cabinet straight away & even though i am an electrician the wiring was too much for me then. Roll on 8 years, i brought it into the house , traced and soldered up every cut cable, after my wife had double checked the colour codes. Did a few basic testing steps with fuses out then powered it up. After referring to the manual realised it was in book-keeping mode.
Flicked a few switches and it fired up, everything appeared to work. The flippers were a bit sticky and most the rubbers are perished but there. We played for about an hour & some guests turned up so it got unplugged. Two hours later it would not work, the display showing 1, CPU lock-up. Put the back glass in to stop it getting damaged and checked over all i could . Noticed the advance button was open circuit always so swapped the pair of cables over. The display now shows 7, system failure but flicking the sound test button (which works) and switching power on & off the display will sometimes revert back to 1 and the ball will also flick into the play mode ( but nothing else)

Sorry for the long story, is it fubared ?. I have read many things about the system 9 board and repairs but that's above my capability

Great story, well done for getting it working in the first place! :clap:

If you played it for an hour without problem then won't start up, I'd look at fuses first and foremost. You need to remove them and test with a meter. If they are ok then you need to check that you have the correct voltages.

Have a look through here for what to look for:
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11

Only thing i can find is a low voltage on the 5vdc, its 3.90 on pin 20 of U17. Can you confirm pin 20 is bottom right. Also where is TP1 on the power board to test there ?

Back
Top Bottom