What's new

Why licensing isn't always great.

Sam C

Site Supporter
Alias
Archy
Like most people I've been enjoying the recent release of The Addams Family on TPA. Whilst it is mostly there they did have to change a few things to get around the issue of not being able to have any of Christopher Llyod (Fester) or Jimmy Workman (Pugsley) on the game. This is fine on the game itself, and then I went to have a look at the flyer they usually include alongside their releases...

i.imgur.com_9Mn3CTv.jpg

Nothing says "We couldn't get the license" much more than this, the characters look so bland and generic.

HE STARES INTO YOUR SOUL.

i.imgur.com_0j9Cnnx.jpg

It's pretty bad that Farsight managed to get the license even for the now deceased Raul Julia and yet as far I understand it the actors who played Pugsley and Fester just wanted much more than they could afford. Such a shame, it spoils what is a terrific license.

Still I am greatly enjoying being able to play this machine in digital format as likely I will never get a real one!

I don't agree. I think the digitised game plays well and that the only poor reflection is on the greedy sods who refused to let their photo be used. FFS they 'worked' for two or three months 20 years ago and got paid handsomely for it. Years and years later they get offered money essentially for nothing and still they say not unless I get more. Who the feck do they think they are, Brando?

/rant over.

Well........... Who cares. At the end of the day digital pinball is a load of crap but it serves 1 very good, and very important purpose. That is getting more people into real pinball.

10 years from now 99% of folk will have forgotten Pinball Arcade and the 1% who refuse to let it die will be struggling to get it playing on whatever futuristic phone/computer/gadget they have then. Meanwhile, the real pinball machines will continue to live on as they always have.

TPA perhaps will be dead (actually im certain of it, they treat their customers like crap) but someone else will buy the rights to digitise, presumably even better, these classic 80s and 90s games.

10 years from now my AFM will be worth 20K but that will be in the context of a twix costing £2.50

Sad I know, but these altered images have always really intrigued me. If you look at big budget Hollywood films or even modern big budget serials that have gone through the hands of technical wizards where there are photos of the lead characters (created by merging other photos to show a different era, missing character, former location etc) - they always, always look fake and dreadful.

It was always said about lee Harvey Oswald that the infamous photo of him holding the rifle was clearly faked based on the angle of shadows

So I concluded years ago that it must be incredibly hard to fake peoples' heads in reconstituted photos (shadow, tones, angles of the gaze etc). If Hollywood still can't do it despite massive budgets, I am not surprised that this little outfit struggled

Back
Top Bottom