What's new

Why do so few people registered on the forum post?

johnwhitfield

Site Supporter
Alias
John Whitfield
Just noticed this morning that the forum has almost 800 members. While this is cool, why do so few of them post? I can understand lurking and not bothering to register but we must have a bunch of people interested enough in pins to register but then not wanting to take part in any discussions.

Is this the norm for most forums? I can see it with a general interest site but we're pretty niche (OK nerdy:oops:) so I would have though we'd have a higher percentage of register users contributing

Are we really that scary or boring that they don't want to be associated with us? Maybe 500 of them are hot young women who have been put off by Dans Gifs?

This has always been the odd norm for forums. People are looking for something so they find the forum and sign up but then go quiet or just enjoy reading.
Sometimes something triggers them, they post "I have been on here for ages but only finally had something to say" and they join in.
Others joined up to buy/sell and don't fancy getting involved in the daily banter. I think we have enough areas for people to get use to joining in and if people want to lurk then I hope they still enjoy themselves.
It is highly unlikely that there are 500 hot woman on this site not joining in, but I would expect the global figure of hot woman scared off by Dan's Gif's to be far higher.

Calimori's right. My job is community management (well, consulting now), has been for most of my career, and I've seen this in every single forum, be it video games, telcos, fansites, you name it. I think for a lot of people, actual posting is also just quite a jump. I've seen some neat tricks to encourage making that leap to posting, e.g. thestudentroom.co.uk even have a "your first post generator" where you enter your name, uni and course and it posts for you, then they have a welcome committee of users tasked with being friendly to newbies!

Anyway, yeah, standard, don't think this forum's doing anything wrong that discourages new registrations to post really. Happens everywhere.

I've hardly ever posted on Pinside, I just go there have a mooch and leave, seems to be the way on most forums, you cross the line when it becomes somewhere to hang out, that is what the regulars do here, it becomes a way of life, some banter, not for most due to all kinds of reasons, time being one, necessity another, nice to see people come on board though, who has gone but not forgotten, who were the regular posters if any in the early days who no longer hit the keys?

This has always been the odd norm for forums. People are looking for something so they find the forum and sign up but then go quiet or just enjoy reading.
Sometimes something triggers them, they post "I have been on here for ages but only finally had something to say" and they join in.
Others joined up to buy/sell and don't fancy getting involved in the daily banter. I think we have enough areas for people to get use to joining in and if people want to lurk then I hope they still enjoy themselves.
It is highly unlikely that there are 500 hot woman on this site not joining in, but I would expect the global figure of hot woman scared off by Dan's Gif's to be far higher.

We def need some hot women on here some of us are single lol. There's a few hot ones on pinside so why can't we have some

It took me a couple of years to start regularly posting.
I include the yahoo group in that.
There are still some people on there who I find arrogant and condescending and shoot you down with belittling comments every time you post. For that reason I don't post on there. It winds me up too much. I'm in this hobby for fun and to meet like minded people, not get into a dick measuring competition about whose opinion is more valid or how grammatically incorrect my post is!!:rolleyes:
For me it was intimidating to chime in a put an opinion in something I knew little about next to other "vets" who clearly know there onions.
I guess I didn't feel my opinion was valid!

Time and experience certainly gives you more confidence to post.
Having had a career in the Army and other uniformed services, you learn to wind your neck in and speak when spoken to when you're a noob. I guess for me, that translated to here.

Obviously this is just my way of doing things. Others jump in both feet first and crack straight on with the formalities. That's fine also. Just not my style.

I genuinely think this forum is friendly on the whole. And wouldn't be scared to post or offer opinions and advice.

It's also tricky to interpret the manner in which some people post. Not always easy to come across as you intend. I've met a lot of the guys on here and know their humour and how they are trying to come across. But it might not always read that way.

Anyway I'm rambling.
Now post away you ****ers:D

I'm a very infrequent poster on this forum (& others) - for me the problem with posting is mostly due to time. I only really get chance to read the forum every 3-4 days or so & often a point I might want to make would no longer make sense as the discussion has moved on/ended before I've even read it.

(Similarly I don't think I'll ever buy machine through the forum as they're nearly always sold before I even see the post)

Regards,
Dan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in this hobby for fun and to meet like minded people, not get into a dick measuring competition about whose opinion is more valid or how grammatically incorrect my post is!!:rolleyes:
For me it was intimidating to chime in a put an opinion in something I knew little about next to other "vets" who clearly know there onions.

That should be "their onions", Gaz. (Joke, JOKE! ;))

When you've got an established community it can be a bit intimidating joining in, like your first day at school! Especially if they've got their own in jokes and banter like this place sometimes does, and you're right that can be misinterpreted if its just text, no face to read. Like I said, online community has been my job forever so I've never been put off from just joining in, but can see how others might find it a barrier!

We def need some hot women on here some of us are single lol. There's a few hot ones on pinside so why can't we have some
I am more than happy to set up and run a dating-advice section for this forum. It would have one common message:
"Maybe you are single because you spend a lot of your time posting on a nerdy pinball site. Go outside and meet a real woman." ;)

I am interested in knowing why Pinside has a female audience whilst our forum doesn't appear to have many(any) female regulars. I don't think this forum is particular male orientated, nor is our interest one that is particularly male biased. Any idea?

I am more than happy to set up and run a dating-advice section for this forum. It would have one common message:
"Maybe you are single because you spend a lot of your time posting on a nerdy pinball site. Go outside and meet a real woman." ;)

I am interested in knowing why Pinside has a female audience whilst our forum doesn't appear to have many(any) female regulars. I don't think this forum is particular male orientated, nor is our interest one that is particularly male biased. Any idea?

It's prob because pins are more popular over there so more people of both sexes manage to discover them

My take....

1) People CBA so will lurk or leave.

2) Most (if not all) forums are unwelcoming intimidating self centered places where the newcomer is viewed initially as wonderful, then dumped into the 'we don't know you so will be a bit standoffish' category. The same as life in general. If people can be bothered to get over the 'standoffish' bit they become part of the community.

3) Humans are inherently self centered, so the default behavior is to take.

Don't you have to sign up to view larger images on here? If so, that could be the reason for so many registered members - they want to find something out but are not that interested in staying long...

My take....

1) People CBA so will lurk or leave.

2) Most (if not all) forums are unwelcoming intimidating self centered places where the newcomer is viewed initially as wonderful, then dumped into the 'we don't know you so will be a bit standoffish' category. The same as life in general. If people can be bothered to get over the 'standoffish' bit they become part of the community.

3) Humans are inherently self centered, so the default behavior is to take.

Is your glass really that empty?

In my dealings with people from this community, the overwhelming majority are friendly, helpful and giving of their time. Quite the opposite to your experiences it would seem.

Forum Statistics
Threads: 4,859
Members: 772
Threads Last 24 Hours: 6
Posts Last 24 Hours: 126
Members Last 30 Days: 237

772 members of which 237 have been active (logged in) in the previous 30 days. Number of people who have actually posted will be much lower than 237. (Maybe paul can provide stats?)

Looking at the stats of a different forum, which is smaller than this one.

Members : 177
Active in last 30 days : 65
People who have posted in previous 30 days : 29

IE the majority of people who have used the forum in the previous 30 days have not posted anything.

What we done find is that most people say hello, then rarely ever speak again.

www.pinballwhores.com ;) lol

I think it's harder for members to post on certain topics, if your knowledge is minimal you may feel it's best left to those who know the score, maybe that's why the ebay thread and possibly the what is the pin worth thread are good places to start for noobs who want to join in, we can all have an opinion on these topics but many of us would become mute when a technical or historical thread is posted.

Great that the forum already has these starter toe in the water threads already in place.

Well I think your are all great!!
I only use two forums so I'm no expert, but as a newie with hardly any technical knowledge I find this forum very helpful.
I have never felt that people have taken the **** and certainly don't feel as if I am judged for asking stupid questions.
Just enjoy our hobby and stop trying to find hidden meanings in everything.... That's what I say

I'd agree with most of the above (even the the bits that appear to be disagreeing!:))

As a relative 'newbie' the forum is a great source of info to refer do - with a lot of factual info you don't need to post to get the info you need and many questions that might be asked have been asked and answered already.

Getting involved in the banter :)rofl:) always easier when you've had a while to pick up a 'feel' for other posters or met them in person

"nor is our interest one that is particularly male biased. Any idea?"

Bit early innit?

I think it's harder for members to post on certain topics, if your knowledge is minimal you may feel it's best left to those who know the score, maybe that's why the ebay thread and possibly the what is the pin worth thread are good places to start for noobs who want to join in, we can all have an opinion on these topics but many of us would become mute when a technical or historical thread is posted.

Great that the forum already has these starter toe in the water threads already in place.

Agree with that JD as some of the techy (sorry all of the techy) stuff just whizzes straight over my head!! :eek:

Well, as a self confessed noob who signed up only a few weeks ago, i would say that this place is very friendly. Even though i do post quite a bit i do sometimes worry that other users may wonder "who the hell is this guy" raving on about his starship troopers pinball and asking where he can play tables that everybody is familiar with but he's never even heard of.

The slam and actually getting a pinball table have been massive catalysts for me posting.

i am genuinely surprised by the friendliness of everybody here - some of whom ive now had the pleasure of meeting.

It is very surreal for me to literally have discovered a genuine hobby/passion/interest that i didnt even know was such a big thing and find other peeps who share my strange obsession!

My wife has commented on the spirit of community that we have witnessed here and she says if only the whole world was as welcoming and trusting!

All together now, "heal the world, make it a better place,
For you and for me and my second pinball table!"

Hugs

matti b

Never had any problems on this forum. Very useful and informative.

I met IanW at the pipeline and he recomended I join, and now I'm on all the time chuckling away at the posts.

I do see why some people would just read and not post but I suppose there is nothing wrong with that. The way I see it is Whats the worst that can happen? I've already upset a few people but Hey Ho!. And your guaranteed a good laugh if nothing else!

My partner has just asked what I am doing on here so I told her about this thread. We must all be really nice people because she says she would much rather be with 'Silver balls' (me) than with 'Golden Balls' (him).

beckspic.jpg

I have no idea how her mind works!!

It took me a couple of years to start regularly posting.
I include the yahoo group in that.
There are still some people on there who I find arrogant and condescending and shoot you down with belittling comments every time you post. For that reason I don't post on there. It winds me up too much. I'm in this hobby for fun and to meet like minded people, not get into a dick measuring competition about whose opinion is more valid or how grammatically incorrect my post is!!:rolleyes:
I guess I didn't feel my opinion was valid!

Time and experience certainly gives you more confidence to post.
Having had a career in the Army and other uniformed services, you learn to wind your neck in and speak when spoken to when you're a noob. I guess for me, that translated to here.

Obviously this is just my way of doing things. Others jump in both feet first and crack straight on with the formalities. That's fine also. Just not my style.

I genuinely think this forum is friendly on the whole. And wouldn't be scared to post or offer opinions and advice.

It's also tricky to interpret the manner in which some people post. Not always easy to come across as you intend. I've met a lot of the guys on here and know their humour and how they are trying to come across. But it might not always read that way.

Anyway I'm rambling.
Now post away you ****ers:D

shut up tractor boy :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom